SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Anybody carrying a full-size gun with light and optic in plainclothes/off-duty? Tell me about your setup.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody carrying a full-size gun with light and optic in plainclothes/off-duty? Tell me about your setup. Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
My duty gun is now a P320RX Pro Full-Size with a TLR-1 and a Romeo 1 Pro. I've been struggling to figure out a way to carry this massive thing out of uniform. Deep concealment isn't a concern, but a rig to wear to training or to the range so that I don't have to strap on the entire duty belt would be nice, and the ability to toss a sweatshirt or jacket over it for a bit of concealment if I have to run into the store or out to lunch would be nice.

The current duty holster is a Safariland 6360 SLS/ALS. I've considered getting a QLS system for it and just clipping that holster to my belt when I need to, but its enormous and pretty much completely unconcealable. I'd prefer something lower profile, but would be interested to hear people's experience with that system as well (durability issues, any problems with comfort due to the added offset created by the plates, ease of transitioning between mounting plates, etc.).

Apart from the QLS, I've looked at this option from Red River Tactical https://rrtholsters.com/2020/p...ght-bearing-holster/, or possibly a Desantis SpeedLite. I have a Speedlite that I modified for a Carry model P320 w/TLR-1, and while it's a design with a lot of potential, I've found the belt slots to be too large and sloppy for a snug fit, even with my 1 1/2" Beltman bullhide with stiffener.

I'd really appreciate hearing about any experience with these solutions or suggestions for others.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
John has a
long moustashe
Picture of john1
posted Hide Post

Posts: 590 | Location: Rural NW Oklahoma | Registered: June 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john1:
Maybe G-Code?
https://www.tacticalholsters.c...roduct/incog-shadow/

Sorry, should have mentioned that I'm looking for an OWB holster. It does look like that would fit the gun, though.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
www.randrholsters.com
I have a number of holsters from them. Priced right too.
They have a holster listed for your light and gun.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Thanks I'll give them a look

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've been in several positions that were primarily plainclothes over the years, and have used a few different setups with a full-sized G17 with TLR-1HL. (No optic, but that won't affect things much.)

For OWB, it's been pretty much exclusively Raven Phantom kydex pancake holsters. This is what I typically wear to stuff like training, more casual range days, etc. Like this:

Those are discontinued in favor of Raven's new Perun holster (which I haven't tried), but you can still find used Raven Phantoms on eBay fairly often, or there are quite a few manufacturers who offer similar kydex pancake holsters. Bravo Concealment is probably the largest, with the quickest turnaround: https://www.bravoconcealment.c...ring-owb-gun-holster

However, I usually preferred IWB for plainclothes actual concealment purposes, and yes, IWB is still doable with a full-sized gun with a light (and optic).

My first IWB holster I used regularly on duty was a Comp-Tac CTAC, which I had modified to have snap loop IWB struts instead of the standard over-the-belt clips. It was for the G17 with TLR-1, but I recently modified it slightly to work with a G45 with TLR-1HL and SRO optic, by dremeling out clearance for the optic. Here's a shot of it (note that in this photo, it's back to having the standard over-the-belt clips...):

But the IWB holster that I ended up settling on and using the majority of the time was yet another Raven Phantom, this time with their offset IWB wings installed. It was more comfortable than the CTAC due to the wider footprint. Looks like this:

Unfortunately, both the CTAC and Phantom holsters are now discontinued, and although there are still some makers offering Phantom clones as mentioned above, I'm not aware of any that offer that style of additional offset IWB struts these days.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rogue, the Bravo Concelament rig would be perfect as the price is very attractive...unfortunately they don't appear to make their light-bearing holsters for the P320, just Glock, S&W, and Shadow Systems. Racist bastards Big Grin!

You post did give me some more options to explore, though, so thank you!

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
No shit? They used to... I have one. But I guess that was back when they were making custom kydex holsters, not mass-produced assembly line holsters. So they're apparently pared down their offerings in favor of a smaller number of the more popular guns.

Still, there are a bunch of other folks offering kydex pancakes like that. Surely at least some of them offer the P320 and TLR-1 combo.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
Check out otghex.com

I ditched raven and bravo in favor of off the grid years ago between the crazy long turn around times of raven and when they both ditched kydex in favor of injection molding.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Check with these folks if yo don’t need retention.

https://www.lsholster.com/antero-pistol-holster/

They list one for a P320 with TRL-1 and will cut it for the optic.

15% off sale until September 1.

Or RDRGear https://rdrgear.com/collection...s/products/the-torch

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8340 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used a Raven Concealment System Phantom, to tote a Glock G19 with an X200 or X300 light. If ordering today, I would order from JM Custom Kydex.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Phlster floodlight that takes my G19 w 509t and x300. It takes my G34 in a very similar setup. Hides great and is commie state verified to not be noticed.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
using a raven perun with a glock 45 with rmr and tlr-7a off duty.

which will match nicely when we switch our duty guns over to the 45 with rmr.

I'm looking at blackpoint tactical's leather wing holsters at the moment.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good, bad, I'm the
guy with the gun
Picture of 45ProCarry
posted Hide Post
I use a Tenicor Sol OWB to carry my Glock 17 gen 5 with a Trijicon RMR and a Surefire X300 Ultra. It conceals very well.

Posts: 2343 | Location: USA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phlster Floodlight - appendix carrying a Walther PDP, 5" with Surefire X300 and a Holosun RDS. For OWB, same holster, but the OWB version with the Bladetech attachment.

I like the Floodlight, gives me the flexibility to accommodate several handguns in the same holster. Cause I am cheap, and ammo is expensive Smile

Posts: 12 | Registered: November 28, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I have been chasing the ability to carry a Glock 19 with a RMR and x300 appendix for years. I’ve tried several different holsters and none have been all that comfortable. There was one holster that a buddy loaned me to try and it was just awful. I then tried a TREX Side Car and it was ok but the butt of the gun was way out away from the body.

This morning I received a Tenicor Malus Sol. I assembled it and is fairly comfortable.

As far as IWB/OWB goes, I’ve grown pretty fond of TREX. I have one of their Ironside holsters for a 19/RMR/300 that I wear in a suit, or if I have to have a tucked in shirt at work.

The key really to any of them is the belt. The belt really makes or breaks a holster. I wear the Nexbelt Supreme Appendix most of the time. For a leather belt, I have a belt that I bought at my tailor for $60. I believe that it is made by Mission. It’s sturdy and is built just like the Nexbelt.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Recognizing the risk of being called an idiot or at the least a misinformed old man, I have been experimenting with off body carry. I use a camera bag. No one seems to notice or care. It fits a very large service pistol, one considered universal. Light would fit, and one will be ordered soon.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry full-size guns with an X300 (G34, Staccato P, and Q5SF) in a Tier 1 Concealed Modern Samurai Project Pro Series holster. Think of it like a better Floodlight. Lower profile and better retention.

PHLster has something new coming, too. They blew out the Floodlight at Black Friday.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I was recommended here to Black-Rhino Concealment, for an OWB kydex holster for my G19 Gen 5 w/streamlight TLR7. Very happy with it, but I seldom CCW it anymore since getting a P365 standard over three years ago.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You didn't get penetration
even with the elephant gun.
Picture of cheeze
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
Originally posted by john1:
Maybe G-Code?
https://www.tacticalholsters.c...roduct/incog-shadow/

Sorry, should have mentioned that I'm looking for an OWB holster. It does look like that would fit the gun, though.

I have a “upper hand” holster and it’s a decent owb rig. Not sure if they have your model

DONT TREAD ON ME

Posts: 2243 | Location: AZ | Registered: January 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post