SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Florida CWL
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Florida CWL Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted
Greetings and a question for my Florida bros and sis who have their CWL...

A buddy of mine went today to qualify for his Florida CWL. He said he used a revolver to qualify, and I got a little concerned. Here in Texas, it USED TO BE that if you qualified with a revolver, then the only thing you could carry IAW your LTC was a revolver. But if you qualified with a semi-auto, you could carry either a semi-auto, a revolver, or both. That has since been rescinded and you can qualify with either and carry either/both.

Is there any such regulation in Florida for CWL qualification? TIA!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11048 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Florida does not have any restrictions like that. Once you have your CCW, you can carry any firearm allowed under the statute (basically any handgun).

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
Florida does not have any restrictions like that. Once you have your CCW, you can carry any firearm allowed under the statute (basically any handgun).

This is correct. I had a non resident Florida CCW until recently and that's the way it was.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11048 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:

I did my Junior and Senior years of High School with Ted Lange.

On the series "Love Boat" he was essentially playing himself. That was his actual personality.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is there any such regulation in Florida for CWL qualification?
No.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30539 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Doesn’t Florida’s permit also allow many other concealed weapons, beyond just a firearm? I recall that being a rare or unique characteristic of theirs.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11441 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
Doesn’t Florida’s permit also allow many other concealed weapons, beyond just a firearm? I recall that being a rare or unique characteristic of theirs.

Arizona has a similar law, and I imagine other states do as well.

https://thefirearmfirm.com/wha...under-floridas-cwfl/

CWFL Covers More Than Just Firearms!
A Florida Concealed Weapons and Firearms License (CWFL) covers more than just firearms. So, what weapons are covered under Florida’s CWFL?

Pursuant to Florida Statute § 790.06(1), with a CWFL, one may carry concealed a handgun, electronic weapon or device, tear gas gun, knife, or billie, but the term does not include a machine gun as defined in § 790.001(9).

Pursuant to Florida Statute § 790.001 (3)(a), “Concealed weapon” means any dirk, metallic knuckles, billie, tear gas gun, chemical weapon or device, or other deadly weapon carried on or about a person in such a manner as to conceal the weapon from the ordinary sight of another person.

Under Florida Statute § 790.001(13), “Weapon” means any dirk, knife, metallic knuckles, slungshot, billie, tear gas gun, chemical weapon or device, or other deadly weapon except a firearm or a common pocketknife, plastic knife, or blunt-bladed table knife.

posted Hide Post
Flash,

Good to know.

Thanks

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Also a few things that may be useful with the FL Concealed...State law supersedes any local laws (County, City). You can conceal a knife and carry a switchblade without issue with a Concealed despite many many oddball local laws. Concealed means concealed and folks have at times had issues with someone seeing a weapon - just keep it in the holster and concealed (good advice anyway). We tried to get a law passed just so that an accidental display didn’t get you in trouble with the law, but yeah no pass. You do not need to inform the police officer on a stop that you are carrying - but make your own call on what you want to do.

There are a lot of good things about FL concealed, but the biggest one is that many many residents conceal carry so very common / expected. The downside is we have a lot of “New Yorkers” looking to New York Florida...and yes Florida man is a real thing Wink

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quirky Lurker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingScot:
Concealed means concealed and folks have at times had issues with someone seeing a weapon - just keep it in the holster and concealed (good advice anyway). We tried to get a law passed just so that an accidental display didn’t get you in trouble with the law, but yeah no pass.

The accidental display exception to the prohibition on open carrying did pass in 2011. Look at 790.053. If you are lawfully carrying concealed with a CWL and briefly expose your weapon, you are not “open carrying” as prohibited by law unless you display it in an angry or threatening manner not necessary for self defense.

Everything else is right on.

Posts: 868 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I like the regs where you carry whatever you want. It shouldn’t be where you are limited to only one type or one specific gun.

One day the LCP May do, later you want a mid-size revolver for the woods hike.

As far as ‘qualifying for FL’, just join the military, one of several ways to ‘qualify’, at least it was.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post