SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Legal Defense Membership
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Legal Defense Membership Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
This maybe off topic, why doesn’t New York, allow insurance in case you shoot someone? I don’t know this for sure, a good friend from HS was telling me is.

Posts: 1541 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Seems like an insurance “umbrella policy” might also be of value to protect assets. I’ll have to read the fine print on mine.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marlin Fan:
This maybe off topic, why doesn’t New York, allow insurance in case you shoot someone? I don’t know this for sure, a good friend from HS was telling me is.

Leftists run 'New Yorkistan'...Similar to everything they do to oppose the Second Amendment and ANYTHING Firearms related. It's what they do! Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8756 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gallo Pazzesco
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fnforme:
I'm a defense attorney and I have handled many self-defense cases.

One day one of the bigger companies that offers this service was hosted by my local range and I asked them if they had ever represented any of their customers in court. They never had. Do you want your 2:00 AM call to them to be the first time they ever actually process a claim?

There are a myriad of reasons why I think these services are useless. From what I remember, there is a relatively low cap on expert witness fees. Also, I can't help but wonder if they will defer to the attorney's discretion on which experts to retain or whether they have their own at negotiated rates. I've won multiple self-defense cases with a ballistics expert out of Indiana. I want my guy because we gel, not someone cheaper because they're local or anything like that.

Clean self-defense cases are exceedingly rare. When I say clean, what I mean is usually it's hood shit as opposed to one completely innocent party being attacked by a felon. The internet gun forum concept that you need a lawyer if you engage in a clean self-defense shooting is overstated. Maybe this is different in other parts of the country.

Finally, I think people overestimate the price of an attorney. Paying several hundred a year for an insurance premium on a very low probability event only makes sense if the cost of loss is excessive. Criminal defense attorneys quote very high rates but a good starting negotiating point is a quarter to a third of the price you're quoted. Seriously.

Nail, hammer, head.

Hey, I watch Armed Attorneys and Washington Gun Law on YouTube. Smile Besides, Emily is a smoke show.

The one thing I disagree-with based on my experience is the retainer part. I actually put down a $500 retainer with a local attorney renowned for his 2A expertise around here just to be on the safe side and, he agreed, I'll probably never need it. It was a win win for both of us and he gave me a 30 minute sit-down, his card with his personal cell number and a book by (hold on, lemme look) well, here it is, The Law of Self Defense: The Indispensable Guide to the Armed Citizen by Andrew F. Branca ... and told me to read it and call him, day or night, if needed.

That's a lifetime's agreement right there. His partners and he are great people. We've got great carry laws here in SC but still, you just never know.

Posts: 104 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: September 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post