SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    For those with actual experience CCing a P226 vs P229
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For those with actual experience CCing a P226 vs P229 Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted
Just looking at the specs, the P229 is 2 oz lighter and half an inch shorter. It seems to me there isn't much difference in conceal carrying either one. I don't have a P229 so I don't know.

Can anyone confirm this for me from experience or tell me otherwise?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19570 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both the P229, and p226, I have carried both and there is almost no difference to Me, that doesnt mean everyone. Living in hot humid SW Florida I changed my carry weapon from them but when its cool enough I do switch back to the P226 MK25

Posts: 710 | Location: SW. Florida, USA | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've carried both (.40) for a considerable amount of time. Subjectively, no real difference in size and/or weight. Both IWB (primarily) and OWB (occasionally).

Milt Sparks VM-2 and #55BN. Sparks 1 1/4" gun belt as well.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
While I no longer own a 226, I still have a 229 and carried both in one sort of Galco OWB holster or another over time. Functionally, no real difference between the two as far as concealed-carry is / was concerned for me.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the world of concealment, they're roughly the same size.

That said, concealing a full-size is no fun, a 365 or similar, would be a better option

Posts: 14548 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have carried both OWB and still do from time to time. With a good holster and belt, there is little difference between the two gun.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15987 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
You may notice the extra length when bending or sitting if wearing iwb.
I notice a full size grip vs compact when wearing a shirt that is a little more fitted.

Posts: 10822 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP, I presume you are considering a P229. Unclear whether or not you have a P226. Regardless, I would handle both guns before buying. They have distinctly different feels.

Mine have G10 grips and the GrayGuns Intermediate triggers.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:
OP, I presume you are considering a P229. Unclear whether or not you have a P226. Regardless, I would handle both guns before buying. They have distinctly different feels.

Mine have G10 grips and the GrayGuns Intermediate triggers.

I already have a P226 that I have been carrying. I also have a P365XL. I was considering whether the P229 would be the Goldilocks equivalent. I like the SAO trigger of the P226. And while I don’t mind the extra bulk and weight of the P226, I do recognize the difference between that and the P375XL.

Thanks to the answers, I don’t have to get the P229.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19570 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carried both about equally since 1996. I never noticed any qualitative difference between the two. I really have no preference and shoot either equally poorly.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
I have the 229 and the 365.

Back in the day I cross-shopped the 226 and 229... they were very similar in feel but the 229 felt slightly better in (my) hand so that's what I went with. The 229 and the 365 regular or XL grip I have both are not similar.

While it is technically between the two in size, the 229 is much much closer in size and feel to the 226 than the 365.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a decent sized person. 6'2 and 220. I don't feel any difference between the two. IWB. Since I shoot the 226 better I normally prefer it, but its really a wash. This now for a couple of decades plus. I've wondered off and on from the P Series for carry but go back on a regular basis as they are my favorite guns.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With magazines actually in place, the P226 and P229 are almost identical in height, as measured from bottom of magazine to top of rear sight. The only time there is a notable difference in height, is with the magazines removed. The critical difference, when carrying concealed, is, therefore, not really different, at all, with both weapons.

As for the length, I can only see that mattering for IWB carry, when one pistol may poke the user in an uncomfortably way, and notably, a shorter weapon would NOT, necessarily, be the better choice. A longer pistol may “bridge over” a sensitive area, whereas the shorter pistol, unable to bridge that gap, may be the one to poke the user.

The internal-extractor P229 slides are annoyingly different than the P226 slide. The serrations are so small, as to be difficult to grasp. When I transitioned to a SIG P229R duty pistol, from the Glock G22, in 2004, I would rather have chosen the P226, but, it was not on the list of approved duty pistols, at that time.

As for conceal-ability, I had used a P220, for police duty, as well as personal-time carry, for two years, in the Nineties. The P220 is as long, and as tall, as a P226; nicely concealable, and comfortable. The grip area is, of course, a bit thicker, with double-column-mag pistols. During and after 2004, I never learned to like carrying my P229R DAK IWB. That rail added too much rectangular bulk, and that part of the holster put too much pressure on me. I returned to using revolvers, for personal-time IWM carry.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Okay, thank you for all the replies. I ditched my idea of getting a P229 for the reasons that it isn't that far off from a P226.

I went with a P320 M18 instead as it has the manual safety I want. I got it today and I'm hoping it will be the Goldilocks choice between my P365XL and my P226 SAO.

posted Hide Post
Gents,

I carry a P226 and a P229 and find the P229 slightly easier to carry. That said, I still gravitate toward the P226/MK25.

This necessitates the use of an outer garment(vest or jacket).

Wes

Posts: 2409 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are looking towards a 229 for carry (I own one) I'd look at the SP2022. It's similarly sized but several ounces lighter. I've got one and it shoots well.

Posts: 4538 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post