SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Opinions on Blade-Tech Tek-Mount vs Safariland QLS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on Blade-Tech Tek-Mount vs Safariland QLS Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
I've been looking for a good solution to easily swap my (really expensive, and well-broken-in) Safariland duty holster between belts. I've tried the Safariland QLS system, and while it is robust and works well, it pushes the gun outboard of my hip so far that it gets crushed against the seat bolster and console in the car, and makes wearing it for a 12 hour shift absolutely unbearable.

I recently discovered the Blade-Tech Tek-Mount system. It looks interesting, but I'm not sure if it it would be any better than the Safariland stuff I already have. Has anybody here used this, or ideally both? If so, could you please share your experience?

Posts: 8572 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tenmm
posted Hide Post
I'm using the Tek mount on my 6360 and taser holster, I also have my mag pouches mounted on mini tek mount. I dont find that the holster sits out too far, though vehicles with a console are crowded. I have a QLS setup, but I havent used it, just looking at it though, I think the Tek mount is a little slimmer.
I like the mini tek mount on the mag pouches because I can angle my mags so they dont stab me in the leg or gut when I'm sitting.

Posts: 760 | Location: Alaska | Registered: December 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a Tek Mount platform and one of the Safariland adapters and found that once mounted on a Safariland UBL, it sticks out farther than the QLS. The Tek Mount is probably a little slimmer in theory, but the Safariland holster mount negates that. I was a little disappointed as I liked the adjustable cant.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the G-Code RTI System. It works with Safariland and might be less bulky and still be swappable.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16094 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I've not tried the newer circular style, but I do have several holsters setup on their older TMMS system. It is handy, but not exactly ideal for concealment. Really nice for open or woods carry.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tenmm
posted Hide Post
Mine is mounted to the Bang Hanger from Guardian Warrior Solitions so whatever low profile I get is probably there. Either way, I don’t think you’ll see a significant difference in width with either brand. Duty gear is just bulky. The old SS3 probably rode closer than everything else.

Posts: 760 | Location: Alaska | Registered: December 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
My advice is multiple holsters.

At the end of the day, all of the quick detach set ups have draw backs. Some push the gun out too far, some can hit your middle finger on the draw when you add them.

I tried the different styles and ultimately bit the bullet on multiple holsters. For instance, I have one rig that I tried to swap around for an ALS holster if I needed a non-camouflage ALS holster, and be able to swap it out for a no retention holster for IDPA/USPSA. Didn’t work out.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
^ that's kind of the conclusion I'm coming to. I tried the QLS again for a day and it was miserable, so I went back to a direct-attached belt loop. I tried a high-ride for a couple of days, too, because my mid-ride is wearing a hole in the seat. Didn't like that either, so I'm back to what I started with...mid-ride belt loop, and the upholstery is just going to have to deal with it.

I'm probably just going to have to suck it up and buy another holster. There's a ton of "cheap" used 6360s on eBay, but none of them are RDO ready, and the design of the ALS system is such that you can't just take a Dremel to it and make it work.

Posts: 8572 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tenmm
posted Hide Post
Once again, proving the correct answer is ‘Get both.’