SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    shoulder holster for driving?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

shoulder holster for driving? Login/Join 
posted
Not crazy about shoulder holsters but find myself driving from AZ to FL again. Appendix and IWB are uncomfortable for extended sitting/driving. Going trough El Paso so need a little better than a 365.
Thinking 320 compact or carry. Maybe a 19.
Don't need all that extra mag carrier stuff.
Could get a lightweight vest as a cover.
No preference on leather, kydex etc.
Also a lightweight vest idea?

Posts: 1651 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
Have you just considered a crossdraw holster instead? That's what I wore when I was a cab driver.

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm right handed so would need to thread my belt through every time I went to take it off.

Posts: 1651 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
It is unclear as to just what are your questions.

Does a shoulder holster work well when driving? Yes, it does.

What would I recommend? Dunno. Used to be it would have been an Alessi Bodyguard, but Alessi is out of business. I'm thinking my next shoulder rig will be an Andrews Monarch.

Don't understand why one wouldn't want an off-side carrier or carriers. One of the big advantages of a shoulder rig is how much extra ammo you can carry comfortably.

Btw: I've carried my Walther PPS M2 in its Kydex IWB holster for hours-on-end, sometimes extended driving, and it's never been uncomfortable. Maybe you just need a better IWB holster?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25987 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike56:
I'm right handed so would need to thread my belt through every time I went to take it off.

Get a paddle holster for cross draw.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.andrewsleather.com/traditional.htm
This is quite innovative and Andrews makes good gear. If I was on the road as much as I used to be this is what I would wear...easy on/off, too.
It is the carjacker model.

Posts: 514 | Location: Ocala, FL | Registered: October 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike56:

I guess that begs some more questions. Are you looking for a concealable option only? Are you able/willing to carry openly if you need? Why would you be taking the gun off at all and for what reasons? If it's concealed, is it still potentially coming off?

It sounds like a shoulder holster with a shirt or vest cover like you said is pretty much going to be your only option based on your criteria and my assumptions Razz . Unless someone else can come up with a better idea.

So that said, that seems to turn this into more of a recommendation for shoulder holster type/brand? All I know about them is that every time I've looked at one I make sure it can be canted downwards to point at the ground cause I'm worried about having a gun always pointed at the people behind me when I walk around. Not a fan of horizontal carry.

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I recently bought a FIST shoulder holster, I Think its a piece of junk, Kydex is like paper and impossible to draw the gun with one hand.
Wasted $150.
No response from my complaints from FIST.

Posts: 4604 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I purchased two Galco vertical shoulder holsters a while back. Very comfy while driving and just walking around. I usually just have a button down shirt thrown over them (long or short sleeve, depending on weather). Also, for me, Concealment is easier, as I’m not thick enough to keep the grip of a G19 from sticking out past my chest.
I know Galco is considered by some as mass produced, maybe even pedestrian, but they work for me.
BTW: the two I have are for a 4” GP100 and a 5” 1911. Each has offside ammo pouches.

These purchases came out of a need for a system to carry while having some hip issues. A strong side holster just hurt like hell.
Bonus, with the tie downs, the shoulder rigs make pretty decent suspenders. Smile

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Shoulder carry or cross draw, best option for driving

Posts: 13789 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Andrews Monarch is excellent.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Extra mags on the off side help balance the weight of the gun a bit.
I have a galco. It does the job.

Posts: 11505 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
They work very well for driving. In my younger days when I was driving a great amount, I had Galco rigs for a P2K and P229. Very comfortable driving 10,000 miles within the span of a month or two.

Another option you might consider: fanny pack. Hear me out: just take the fanny pack off while you're driving. When you exit the vehicle, put the fanny pack on. I've seen a decent number of truckers use a fanny pack. Not sure what they're carrying and never asked but they're the guys putting serious miles on. Plus the fanny pack is cheaper than a shoulder holster and could carry different models versus a dedicated shoulder holster.

Posts: 13037 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
You can even leave the fanny pack on while driving, just slide it into a crossdraw position.

Posts: 3908 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
You can even leave the fanny pack on while driving, just slide it into a crossdraw position.

Mrs. Flash does.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will add a big vote of support for the lumbar/waist pouch/pack, as a comfortable way to carry things, while traveling. No worries; these packs/pouches have made a big come-back, and are widely accepted as mainstream, these days. Younger folks seem more likely to use them when dressed in athletic clothing, and older folks wear them all the time, with everything.

Those things inside my waist pack/pouch may or may not include a firearm.

Some waist packs/pouches work better than others, in diagonal across-the-chest mode.

Some folks speak against “off-body carry,” but, really, if one KEEPS the pack/pouch ON one’s person, it is on-one’s-person carry. I almost never revolve my waist pack/pouch, while driving.

Personally, I tend to keep the weapon in a place other than the waist/lumbar pack/pouch, so that it is less likely to be taken in a robbery, but that is a personal choice.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
I have a Galco shoulder holster that I never use.
You are more than welcome to try it out to see if you actually like using one. If you do, feel free to use it on your trip. It is a Galco Jackass holster with spare mag carrier.
Shoot me an email if you would like.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1849 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
My wife carries her .357 revolver in a Wilderness SafePacker.

On a long drive, it fastens to the shoulder portion of the seat belt.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30521 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I've had several shoulder rigs, some from some very well known makers, and the only one I ever use is a single sided rig made by Kirkpatrick for my p365. It holds very high and tight with minimal bulk. I only use it on long drives or when I'm in a suit where the pants won't accept a gun belt. It took considerably more than the quoted time to arrive, but it was in the early days of COVID when everything was shut down.

https://www.kirkpatrickleather...ry-shoulder-holster/

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
A) Fanny packs are great for long drives - keep everything out of your pockets, etc.

B) Square corners don't seem to snag, round ones seem to bind.

C) Don't go cheap, and definitely try ripping it open, etc.

D) Wilderness tactical safe packers are great options as well.

Posts: 5705 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post