SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    I’m looking for recommendations for an accessible car carry method
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I’m looking for recommendations for an accessible car carry method Login/Join 
Leatherneck
posted
I am considering driving for Uber and would like any recommendations for a good carry option that will make a gun accessible while driving.

I will be carrying my G19 in my hip holster like always, but that’s not very accessible while sitting, and it’s on my right side which would be exposed to a passenger in the backseat. I’m thinking I’d also like to carry my Kimber K6s in a method that’s concealed, but easily accessible to me while I’m driving. Some sort of holster mounted to the left side of my drivers seat seems ideal, but I will have to get in and out of the car regularly to help with bags and such so any holster mounted to that side would have to be able to be concealed when the door is open.

I don’t know much about car carry options so any recommendations would be much appreciated.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Dedicated crossdraw holster or perhaps shoulder holster?

Posts: 3718 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I'd second the crossdraw or shoulder rigs (keeping it on your person when you're out of the car is good), although either would require always wearing a shirt or jacket to cover them. Unless you're ambidextrous enough to be able to draw and fire with your left hand, you might find that drawing and bringing the gun to bear on your passenger with your right hand to be problematic.

Also, does Uber have a prohibition against drivers carrying firearms, like pizza delivery drivers and the like are usually subject to? Violating that wouldn't carry legal penalties I don't think (IANAL) beyond getting you fired, but I wouldn't be surprised if some local jurisdictions do have laws prohibiting it, and violating that might get you in trouble.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
John has a
long moustashe
Picture of john1
posted Hide Post
The large, velcro-closed "document pocket" behind the regular shirt pockets of 511 button up shirts is big enough to hold medium-sized pistols in a pocket holster.

I often carry a second pistol that way just for seated access when driving.

I put an iron-on patch inside the pocket to cut down on muzzle wear after wearing a hole in a few shirts.

Posts: 591 | Location: Rural NW Oklahoma | Registered: June 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Shoulder holster or a dedicated crossdraw that are not hindered by the vehicle seat belt....Possibly a vest with a inside ccw pocket..... Keep the firearm on your body at all times ensures no one can access weapon with out your knowledge........ Check Uber"s policy on their firearm policy ... Do not want to be on the wrong side legally if something was to happen even if weapon is not fired................. drill sgt.

Posts: 2001 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Might be something workable Here

Posts: 3448 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I'd get me an Andrews Leather Carjacker Crossdraw holster.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’d much rather it be on my person, you mention getting out to work the trunk, whatever. Then you have FL temps.

A discreet shoulder, ‘kangaroo’ or similar setup with a smaller gun would be my choice. You would want to remain ‘the gray man’, unnoticed by riders.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the recommendations. I think I’ll look into a shoulder holster setup. I always wear a button up work shirt over a T-shirt anyway.

I’m not sure if Uber has any restrictions against carrying while driving as I haven’t started the process of signing up so I haven’t seen any of their official documentation, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they do. I think I’ll ignore them though if they have any. Big Grin

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did a google image search for car holsters. You have some decent options. Do a search and see what you think works best for you. Although half of the option would require some permeant modifications.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
What type vehicle? Is center console an option?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30645 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Many years ago, I had a flashy car, (‘01 M3 convertible)which was a popular target of criminals, and lived in Houston.

I ended up carrying in a wilderness safe packer strapped around the seat belt.

Kept the gun in the ideal draw position, and ensured the gun didn’t get between me and the seatbelt, if I had a wreck, but wasn’t too sure about if it was going to end up between me and an airbag.

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dan03833
posted Hide Post
Ankle holster?

Posts: 1538 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ankle carried for a few years on duty and realized quickly it would be far easier to access my ankle than my hip due to the seatbelt. Both are doable but for cars ankle works well. Just index, there's a ton of crap to bonk that thing on as you bring it up.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I would go, and did go, with a cross draw drivers holster very similar to the Andrews mentioned.
The only down side I have found is that the cant is so horizontal that I always fear the gun falling out, It never has.I usually carry a CZ SP01 Shadow, a much bigger and heavier gun than your Glock19.
A shoulder holster would be good but look for a holster that holds the gun vertical not horizontal. I bought a FIST shoulder holster that is absolute junk.
Horizontal will require that you sweep everyone in the back seat when you draw the gun.In a panic situation a negligent discharge could wound a person or persons seated in the back seat.

I bought a leather Azula drivers cross draw off Amazon for about $45 to experiment with, it works.Its made in South Africa.

Another option that I have found works is a Belly Band with holster. I bought a Alien gear band and use there IWB holster, no complaints.
Its easy to take on/off, I can quickly rotate or move up or down or loosen or tighten for a better position.
If you go with a belt holster make sure you buy a stiff belt or any holster will be useless.

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd go with a Safariland "Species" IWB, worn crossdraw. Cant is adjustable and its soft lining silences the draw stroke. The polymer belt clip is hooked to secure it to your belt. The holster will not ride out of your waistband yet can be easily removed when desired. The IWB crossdraw is ultimately comfortable when driving and the pistol butt will not print to the rear when worn under a light shirt in hot weather. The kydex exterior repels perspiration. Excellent. The rig retails for about 50 bucks.

Posts: 270 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just as an FYI:

Uber’s Firearm Policy

https://help.uber.com/driving-...bb-8efc-f42853dde857

"Integrity - Not Popularity"

Posts: 8 | Registered: June 11, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:

wilderness safe packer strapped around the seat belt.

Kept the gun in the ideal draw position.
Another vote for the SafePacker. Take a look at The Wilderness website; they are on sale this week.

I have one in an innocuous gray color, sized perfectly for P228 / P229 / P245. I generally carry it with a P245, loaded with P220 magazines using X-Grips to fill the gap, so 17 rounds of good old All-American .45 ACP in a nice tidy package that can be strapped to the shoulder belt in the vehicle, and taken along with the shoulder strap when leaving the vehicle.

Wife uses one for her Ruger revolver.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30645 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix.82:
Just as an FYI:

Uber’s Firearm Policy

https://help.uber.com/driving-...bb-8efc-f42853dde857

"Uber prohibits riders and their guests, as well as driver and delivery people, from carrying firearms of any kind while using the app..." Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post