SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    A Minor Blast From SIGforum’s Past: Tommy’s Gunpacks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Minor Blast From SIGforum’s Past: Tommy’s Gunpacks Login/Join 
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted
Like some, I went through a gun-carrying fanny-pack phase. I actually started with a “non-gun” pack, an American Tourister model into which I (now laughably) stuffed a 4-inch S&W Model 19 haha…

Later, my father-in-law purchased me a Galco pack as a gift, and that served well for quite a time.

Later still, I found myself on SIGforum and was enticed by the discounts offered us at the time by the makers of Tommy’s Gunpacks. While fanny-pack carry is not my first or even second choice for concealed-carry these days, the Tommy’s-brand packs were, IMO, the best of the breed.

I hope that perhaps I’m mistaken, but I think these are no longer made. I may be dreaming, but I’m thinking their site offered other gear beyond the packs, as well.

I use mine now mostly as a container for holding a “car gun,” and still occasionally if another mode of carry is not practical.

Thought the membership might enjoy a glimpse. Feel free to share your own Tommy’s Gunpack pics, comments, and / or news if you have any!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I used the exact same pack for decades and still have one or two around, including a blue one like yours. One of the advantages of Tommy's Gunpacks, was the fact they offered a variety of colors besides the "tactical" black that practically screamed "Cop!"

The maker was only a few miles away from where I lived in So CA at the time and unfortunately is no longer in business. Too bad. Not only were these durable, the buckle release system was very secure and yet allowed easy access to the handgun when needed. In addition to having space for extra magazine(s) and ID, it was easy to store a can of OC or other "less than lethal" alternatives to deadly force in these carriers.

ETA: As long as we're on the subject of blasts from the past, I thought you'd appreciate this autographed book from one of the pioneers of holster making and marketing on a massive scale.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10193 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^^ Whoa, that is fantastic on the book and autograph! Love it!

I was afraid I was right about Tommy’s being out-of-business. I do wish I’d snagged more of their goods at the time.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

posted Hide Post
Now you’re going to make me go search through the house for my gun pack, I know I’ve seen it…want to say I had the burnt orange.

Posts: 1624 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^^ Haha - I hear you!

There was a dark period for me a few years back where it appeared I’d left mine behind (empty, sans gun or other items, at least) during a family vacation, only to discover it weeks later when coming across a tote bag that had been set down in a closet, probably after unpacking the car from the trip.

posted Hide Post
Troll Ebay. I got a Tommys from there cheap!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16062 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Excellent for motorcycling

Posts: 15884 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Apparently Tommy's is now an eBay vendor and there are several there for sale, but at a hundred bucks, far, far more than I would pay.

But, as they say YMMV.

Bob

Posts: 1570 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post

I ran across mine a day or two ago. I don’t remember ever having used it.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post