SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Want comfortable IWB for slip 1911 in 9mm
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Want comfortable IWB for slip 1911 in 9mm Login/Join 
Picture of abnmacv
posted
Got a medium build and want a comfortable IWB. Have a couple of Kydex and when I sit they poke me in an annoying way. Do want the gun to remain in place if I bend over. Any recommendations for a leather IWB or mixed leather / Kydex that would fit my search?

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1530 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I've got Kydex IWB holsters from PJ Holster for my Walther PPS M2 and my Springfield EMP3.

I haven't carried the EMP3, yet, because I'm still breaking it in and qualifying it for functionality, but my PPS M2, which is nearly the same size in every dimension, carries very comfortably.

I tend to like leather, but that Kydex IWB holster has been surprisingly comfortable.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
The Black Arch Protos-M. It's a hybrid holster. The kydex portion wraps around the trigger guard and provides retention, unlike other hybrids that rely on the body pushing the holster against the belt.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
I'm absolutely sold on VM2, or VM2 clones.

I've driven 10+ hours before in total comfort with one on.

On occasion I'll carry my P220. The VM2 makes it easy and comfortable.

Posts: 12537 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I carry a full-size 1911 almost exclusively these days, and most often in an IWB holster. My personal favorites are the leather Summer Special as offered by Milt Sparks and Bruce Nelson Combat Leather (Erik Little’s recent revival of the BNCL line) and Little’s Rafter-L Combat Leather. I’m sure there are other makers who craft a similar holster, and there is also the Summer Special 2 variant from Milt Sparks (offering a lower-ride and a body / sweat-shield).

Some of these (the Sparks SS and the BNCL) are single-loop designs. For me, they do tend to shift a bit on the belt over time during the day, depending on how that loop is backed-up against a pants belt loop or not, in turn depending on where the belt loops are on the pants I’m wearing. The Rafter-L’s double-loop setup is spaced such that the loops can straddle a belt loop and hold the holster in the same exact spot better.

While I prefer the overall higher-ride, forward-cant, and generally reduced profile of the holsters listed above, I would say that the Sparks VM-2 mentioned by Snake207 is less likely to move at all on the belt over the course of the day.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
You might also look at Crossbreed. They are a hybrid of kydex & leather. I find the Supertuck extremely comfortable to wear all day for any firearm I happen to be carrying that day. Including a 1911, a Beretta 92 compact or a M&P 2.0 compact.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Summer Special from Sparks or the Galco clone of it works for me!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
Without a doubt, the most comfortable IWB ever is the Brommeland MaxCon V. You will need to wait as he is a one man shop, but it will ruin you for any other design.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2223 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good, bad, I'm the
guy with the gun
Picture of 45ProCarry
posted Hide Post
I don't carry a 1911 anymore. When I did, it was either in a Kramer horsehide IWB or Summer Special IWB. Either one will suit you well.

Posts: 2343 | Location: USA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
Without a doubt, the most comfortable IWB ever is the Brommeland MaxCon V. You will need to wait as he is a one man shop, but it will ruin you for any other design.

Interesting design. May persuade me to try a leather IWB holster again.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
My vote is for Andrews Leather MacDaniel II.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

Interesting design. May persuade me to try a leather IWB holster again.

You won’t be disappointed.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2223 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Nightingale leather. The owner, Kevin, is a member here.

I absolutely love this holster but you're going to wait 38 weeks, though:

https://shop.nightingaleleathe...d-Holster-Raptor.htm

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wasabi
posted Hide Post
quote:

I agree. Gary's holsters are fantastic. I also have a few Def-Cons which is my favorite OWB as well.

Posts: 731 | Location: Lutz, FL | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45ProCarry:
I don't carry a 1911 anymore. When I did, it was either in a Kramer horsehide IWB or Summer Special IWB. Either one will suit you well.

I've got a Kramer IWB #2 for my P225, its retained it's shape after 20-years, continues to hold securely and has worn-in quite nicely.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Don’t forget to check out Sig forum member R Grizzle too. I have his CS2 and it’s really nice.

Posts: 3698 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 for Milt Sparks Summer Special 2. Rides great and stays put.

The SS 2 and the Sparks VM2 are great choices and can be found ready to ship through several venders. You might be scared off by a 2 month wait for a Sparks holster, but l got my SS 2 in days not weeks because they try to keep those in stock.

Posts: 393 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
Milt Sparks Criterion is amazing. Similar to the VMII but better

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post