SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    CCW Liability Insurance
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CCW Liability Insurance Login/Join 
Call Sign
RIOT ACT
Picture of Mischa
posted
A recent "stand your ground" trial here in Central Florida got me thinking about the need. I'm on the fence. Any experiences are welcomed, favorable or otherwise.

Posts: 349 | Location: Florida | Registered: April 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Armed citizen network may be of interest. They pay upfront (see conditions) and not after you are found to be no guilty as some other insurance policies. I have it as do others who shoot with me.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I'd have no interest in CC insurance. If there's any issue here, it's doing the correct thing from the get-go.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Call Sign
RIOT ACT
Picture of Mischa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZSigs:
Armed citizen network may be of interest. They pay upfront (see conditions) and not after you are found to be no guilty as some other insurance policies. I have it as do others who shoot with me.

Appreciate the info.

Posts: 349 | Location: Florida | Registered: April 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
I'd have no interest in CC insurance. If there's any issue here, it's doing the correct thing from the get-go.

Yup. Im certain insurance purchased would be twisted into some sort of intent to kill by any prosecuting atty.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7489 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apf383:
. . .Im certain insurance purchased would be twisted into some sort of intent to kill by any prosecuting atty.

I do not think that is true. Does carrying auto insurance imply you're looking to get into an accident? Does buying dental insurance mean you have no intention of brushing your teeth?

There are a lot of sources of possible insurance out there to cover the cost of self-defense aftermath. Some are pure insurance. Others are "memberships". Here is a table I put together a couple of years ago when I was looking into coverage for myself (NOTE: I did this a couple of years ago and have not updated the table since -- you need to go to these sources yourself to verify their current coverage policies and prices). It may be of use to the OP as he searches out providers and weighs the potential cost/benefit that they may provide to him:

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:
quote:
Originally posted by apf383:
. . .Im certain insurance purchased would be twisted into some sort of intent to kill by any prosecuting atty.

I do not think that is true. Does carrying auto insurance imply you're looking to get into an accident? Does buying dental insurance mean you have no intention of brushing your teeth?

Sapper Steel is right. He is more right than he knows, in fact.

That the defendant is insured is not relevant evidence. That means it is inadmissible. The justification for the rule is that the existence of insurance doesn't have a tendency to prove or disprove what actually happened. Therefore it is irrelevant. Irrelevant evidence is not admissible. Plus, it is prejudicial, as jurors may think that if insurance is paying, they may as well throw the plaintiff some money.

This is a well established rule in any U.S. jurisdiction.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
Also some states have it set up that you are innocent until proven guilty. Some states are also set up were burden of proof of it not being self defense are on the state. As in if your on my property, I shoot you, and tell responding deputies you broke in and branished a weapon, and those facts are correct, I do not go to jail. I dont even think I lose the weapon used.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recommend Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.

Illinois Concealed Carry Firearms Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol and CCW Instructor, Firearms Expert Witness - Fraternal Order of Police
*************************************************************************************************************
"Civilian marksmanship was appalling, for a population obsessed with guns." - Lee Child, "A Wanted Man"

Posts: 93 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I initially had USCCA but later went with Firearms Legal Protection, better coverage for less money. Concealed carry is like any insurance it is a waste of money until you need it. If you don't have something you had better have real deep pockets if you get involved in a shooting. I feel better knowing someone will have my back in the event I do get involved in a shooting.

https://firearmslegal.com/

Posts: 14 | Registered: January 12, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Meh. Insurance companies live to take your money, and then give you pennies on the dollar when you make a claim and attempt to use it. Or place restrictions on who or what they cover that makes it worthless.

I can’t for the life of me understand why anyone would dream that this “insurance” is any different. I’m sure that people have fully bought into this stuff and will say “oh that’s not the case” but the fact that no one ever used this snake oil, so there is very little actual information aside from the paid , horror story endorsements (I was just minding my own business and the next thing I know I was in jail).

I ll pass and just have a good attorney. The money I ll save by not having grayman EDC delta guy insurance can go toward an attorney if I need one. I live in a free state so my actual chance on needing this is slim and none anyways as long as it’s a good shoot. Just like anyone else living in a free state.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37078 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I ll pass and just have a good attorney. The money I ll save by not having grayman EDC delta guy insurance can go toward an attorney if I need one. I live in a free state so my actual chance on needing this is slim and none anyways as long as it’s a good shoot. Just like anyone else living in a free state.
100% this.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At $500 for highest annual fees for USCCA vs same amount for 1-2 hours of a good attorney's time this shouldn't be a difficult decision but I've been just sitting on my ass and doing nothing about this.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1-2 hours you are kidding right... If you are involved in a self defense shooting the attorney's retainer will be 25K more than likely. If it goes to court 100K+. If you are found not guilty then you still have the civil case to deal with more than likely.

I had USCCA and eventually went with Firearms Legal Protection, half the cost and better coverage...

https://firearmslegal.com/

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Like I said, people buy snake oil all the time, and like Charlie Brown and the football, people get emotional and think that THIS TIME is going to be different from every other dealing with insurance that sells them a policy, then rips them off when they try to collect.

I guess that is why they are so successful in scamming people of out their money with the heart strings, emotional commercials of.

But, hey, its your money to be parted with. It is hilarious that aside from the "paid actor" claims, no one ever uses this insurance (which is bad because no one can tell you that they cheat you when you try to collect), but yet, everyone is convinced that they have to have it. Now that, boys and girls, is a scam. The emotion is the stick and the carrot, much like the Giffords try to pull on people's heart strings to separate them from their money. Gun rags have pulled the same thing forever, but failed to mention that many of the people profiled actually committed felonious acts.

Wanna do some good? Send the same amount of money to the NRA instead of buying snake oil....

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37078 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
FWIW, Dave Ramsey chimes in on the subject (and he carries).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7ZWZ60saeg

Posts: 9449 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Like I said, people buy snake oil all the time, and like Charlie Brown and the football, people get emotional and think that THIS TIME is going to be different from every other dealing with insurance that sells them a policy, then rips them off when they try to collect.

I guess that is why they are so successful in scamming people of out their money with the heart strings, emotional commercials of.

But, hey, its your money to be parted with. It is hilarious that aside from the "paid actor" claims, no one ever uses this insurance (which is bad because no one can tell you that they cheat you when you try to collect), but yet, everyone is convinced that they have to have it. Now that, boys and girls, is a scam. The emotion is the stick and the carrot, much like the Giffords try to pull on people's heart strings to separate them from their money. Gun rags have pulled the same thing forever, but failed to mention that many of the people profiled actually committed felonious acts.

Wanna do some good? Send the same amount of money to the NRA instead of buying snake oil....

Do you have auto or homeowners insurance? A simple yes or no will surfice...

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldveteran:
quote:

Do you have auto or homeowners insurance? A simple yes or no will surfice...

The gun control folks sure agree with your question, and the way you asked it.

There are gun control states that want to mandate this type of insurance for all gun owners, just as you as they mandate car and home insurance. They want all gun owners to be REQUIRED to carry liability insurance to exercise their Constitutional Rights. They agree with you, it is common sense thing to do. Just like you have to have a driver's license to operate a car, licensing and insuring of all gun owners is the price you pay to exercise a Right. :roll eyes:

Yep, I have car insurance as the state requires it, even if the vehicle is not roadworthy. The same tired argument that you are desperate to make, is the same one that the gun grabbers find to be perfectly reasonable. If it saves one life, right?

www.opspectraining.com

posted Hide Post
Concerning liability, in Tennessee, if you are involved in a shooting, and you are not charged or found guilty of a criminal act, you are supposed to be immune from civil liability. You are liable for civil damages for acts of negligence-like hitting bystanders.

The few insurance policies I read do not cover acts of negligence or provide coverage if you are found guilty under criminal law.

A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master-and deserves one. Ronald Reagan, 1964, quoted from Alexander Hamilton

Posts: 1684 | Location: Southern Tennessee | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Once again, these are not real insurance policies. Do a search, the subject has been beat to death here and elsewhere.

Posts: 9449 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post