SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Who's Your most Underated Actor/Actress?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who's Your most Underated Actor/Actress? Login/Join 
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Claire Foy.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:
At this point, I’d say Tom Hardy.

Great minds... etc. etc. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by f2:
Claire Foy.

Claire Foy confuses me. At times I really like her. Other times I can't stand her. Sometimes within the span of the same show. Or even the same episode.

She's undoubtedly a good actress. There's just something... cringe-y... about many of her facial expressions.

(I feel the same way about Natalie Dormer and her expressions.)

If you haven't seen it already, Claire Foy starred in a miniseries called The Promise, which is mostly about the British military pulling out of Palestine (Israel) in the late 1940s, immediately prior to the founding of Israel and their War of Independence. It's pretty good, from an interesting and oft-overlooked period of British history.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1692202/

Posts: 32512 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big fan of Marisa Tomei and Alan Rickman.

I Drink & I Know Things

Posts: 352 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Claire Foy confuses me. At times I really like her. Other times I can't stand her. Sometimes within the span of the same show. Or even the same episode.

She's undoubtedly a good actress. There's just something... cringe-y... about many of her facial expressions.

(I feel the same way about Natalie Dormer and her expressions.)

If you haven't seen it already, Claire Foy starred in a miniseries called The Promise, which is mostly about the British military pulling out of Palestine (Israel) in the late 1940s, immediately prior to the founding of Israel and their War of Independence. It's pretty good, from an interesting and oft-overlooked period of British history.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1692202/
I've only seen her in Steven Soderbergh's Unsane (2018), and am watching season one of The Crown (2016). She's in a couple of interesting movies that I will probably see: First Man (2018) and The Girl in the Spider's Web (2018). Don't know that Natalie person.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
My pick is Bill Nighy. He has a wide range of character portrayals, from a powerful vampire in Underworld, to a sniveling officer in Valkyrie and even does some mild comedy in Sean of the Dead and others. He plays many rolls well.

very good choice,

every movie I have seen him in he did a great job,

from one's mentioned, to the chick flick where he plays the aging rock star, to Slartybartfast

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10422 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Damian Lewis. Played Lt. Winters in Band of Brothers.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I'd also like to nominate Jeff Daniels.

He has quite the range if your familiar with his movies. Dumb and Dumber, but also his serious roles.

John C. Reilly too.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
I should've been a farmer. Since the day I was born, I should have been a farmer. I love chickens and pigs and ducks. I'm kind of fond of nanny goats I am. Oh come on, Fowler. Throw strikes.

Wilford Brimley.

He was also great in Absence of Malice (1981).

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Huffman:

Not to mention other cable series' Homeland and Billions

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Royal Dano
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm02...io?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

or
Claude Aikins
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm02...io?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm
or

John Anderson
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0026930/

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Huffman:

Not to mention other cable series' Homeland and Billions

Never saw either of those.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mark Wahlberg. He is underrated in part because of his movie choices such as the Transformers shit. But he will do films such as Pain & Gain or Mile 22 in which he shows he is the best actor at the "Go fuck yourself" attitude. He works a lot too. There are many examples to love him or hate him, as you please.

Posts: 775 | Registered: June 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
Currently my favorite underrated actress is Britt Robertson. Britt is one of the most vivacious, sharp, and winsome actresses out there, but she hasn't been getting the best projects. She put in a spirited performance in Disney's big-budgeted Tomorrowland which crashed-and-burned. Right now her energy is quite restrained as she pays the bills appearing in ABC's lightweight Shondaland law drama For the People.

The best showcase of Britt's effervescence was Netflix's canceled series Girlboss where she played real businesswoman Sophia Amoruso. The character was shallow and abrasive as written, but Britt's charm shone through and made her tolerable and even likable for me.

Girlboss also later featured Melanie Lynskey in a reoccurring role, who is another of my underrated actresses. She held her own opposite powerhouse Kate Winslet in Peter Jackson's Heavenly Creatures. She was awesome in the zany Netflix film I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore.

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
  • “By Grabthar’s hammer…what a savings.” —Sir Alexander Dane, Galaxy Quest
  • “That’s it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.” —The Sheriff of Nottingham, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
  • “I wanted this to be professional. Efficient, adult, cooperative, not a lot to ask. Alas, your Mr. Takagi did not see it that way, so he won’t be joining us for the rest of his life.” —Hans Gruber, Die Hard
  • "I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory, and even put a stopper in death.” —Severus Snape, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
  • “It all begins with the soil, the vine, the grape. The smell of the vineyard – like inhaling birth... some deeply imprinted, and probably subconscious place in my soul.” —Steven Spurrier, Bottle Shock
  • “Mister Potter. Our new…celebrity.” —Severus Snape, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
  • “I can’t help you if you don’t even know who you are.” – Blue Caterpillar, Alice in Wonderland
  • "Where’s the happy ending, Jason?" – Sir Alexander Dane, Galaxy Quest
  • “Always.” – Severus Snape, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2
  • “This time John Wayne does not walk off into the sunset with Grace Kelly.” – Hans Gruber, Die Hard

While I was reading these, it seems like I could remember just about all of them. The best one of all time is:

"Oh, yes. What was it you said to me before? Yippie-ki-yay motherf..."

•  
    Posts: 9155 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    The Unmanned Writer
    Picture of LS1 GTO
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by .38supersig:
  • “By Grabthar’s hammer…what a savings.” —Sir Alexander Dane, Galaxy Quest
  • “That’s it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.” —The Sheriff of Nottingham, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
  • “I wanted this to be professional. Efficient, adult, cooperative, not a lot to ask. Alas, your Mr. Takagi did not see it that way, so he won’t be joining us for the rest of his life.” —Hans Gruber, Die Hard
  • "I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory, and even put a stopper in death.” —Severus Snape, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
  • “It all begins with the soil, the vine, the grape. The smell of the vineyard – like inhaling birth... some deeply imprinted, and probably subconscious place in my soul.” —Steven Spurrier, Bottle Shock
  • “Mister Potter. Our new…celebrity.” —Severus Snape, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
  • “I can’t help you if you don’t even know who you are.” – Blue Caterpillar, Alice in Wonderland
  • "Where’s the happy ending, Jason?" – Sir Alexander Dane, Galaxy Quest
  • “Always.” – Severus Snape, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2
  • “This time John Wayne does not walk off into the sunset with Grace Kelly.” – Hans Gruber, Die Hard

While I was reading these, it seems like I could remember just about all of them. The best one of all time is:

"Oh, yes. What was it you said to me before? Yippie-ki-yay motherf..."

• You forgot:

"Some men are born in the wrong century. I think I was born on the wrong continent." Elliot Marston - Quigley Down Under

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    My other Sig
    is a Steyr.
    Picture of .38supersig
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

You forgot:

"Some men are born in the wrong century. I think I was born on the wrong continent." Elliot Marston - Quigley Down Under

I thought you were going to say "Now I have a machine gun. Ho. Ho. Ho." -Hans Gruber, Die Hard.

Posts: 9155 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    I'm Different!
    Picture of mrbill345
    posted Hide Post
    How about James Hong?

James Hong, 89-Year-Old Chinese American Actor: “I Never Thought It Would Take This Long”

quote:
    James Hong who has been acting since the 1950s has been fighting for parity for Asian actors for decades. With the success of Warner Bros.’ Crazy Rich Asians this weekend employing an Asian cast in all leading roles, the 89 year-old Hong said, “I never thought it would take this long.”

It is, indeed, a watershed moment for Hollywood as this now becomes only one of the few films ever released by a major studio that heralds a full Asian cast. Hong, who has around 500 credits (not counting voiceovers like the character of Mr. Ping in the Kung Fu Panda film franchise) has, through impossible odds, racked up the most credits of any actor — living or dead — on film, TV and stage.

He also soon became a role model to the next generation of Asian actors, as Jason Scott Lee (Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story, Hawaii Five-0, Mulan) told Deadline three years ago.

Hong’s heroic path through Hollywood included fighting racism, relentlessly advocating for non-stereotypical Asian roles and encouraging others to take up the fight and push through to make necessary change in the entertainment industry.

He has worked on films with Clark Gable (Soldier of Fortune) and in TV with Jane Wyman in one of the only TV episodes John Ford ever helmed (The Bamboo Cross) and many, many others, but it was Groucho Marx who gave Hong his start in the most unusual way. Marx had been alerted to a Chinese man out of Minnesota who was an impressionist. Marx booked Hong on his show You Bet Your Life, and Hong — doing spot on impressions of Peter Lorre, Jimmy Stewart, James Cagney and Groucho himself — was a huge hit with television audiences. So much so that Hong landed an agent — with Bessie Loo (the only agent for Asians at that time).

What helped Hong in Hollywood was his versatility as an actor, whether it is playing the villain in Big Trouble in Little China or in a comedic role in Seinfeld, Wayne’s World 2 or dramatic roles in Hawaii Five-O, Blade Runner or Chinatown. In fact, he played eight different roles in the 1970s TV series Kung Fu. “Yes, each time a different character, never the same one,” he laughed. “One day, the producer and I were walking through the cafeteria, and he said to me, ‘You are really a lifesaver. I can call you and you can fill in for any role.’ So yes, that did help.”

As for what is next for him, Hong said that he is still acting and doesn’t plan to slow down anytime soon as he is looking to produce his own, yet untitled, feature screenplay about a grandfather and his estranged granddaughter who realize, through an unexpected adventure that pushes them into another world, that family relationships are the key to survival.

He said that there are a number of young filmmakers who have come forth that want to help him realize this film, which will be heavily cast with Asian actors. “Everything is about timing,” he said. “And it seems like the time is right.”

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Rule #1: Use enough gun
    Picture of Bigboreshooter
    posted Hide Post
    Timothy Olyphant

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
    Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Oh stewardess,
    I speak jive.
    Picture of 46and2
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by jhe888:
    quote:
    Originally posted by pbramlett:
    Kenneth Branagh. I don’t follow the oscars etc but I’ve always liked this actor. According to IMDb He gets nominated a lot but never wins. I’ve enjoyed just about everything I’ve seen him in. So I think he’s underrated.

He's one of those guys who everyone knows is good, but is rarely the leading man or in huge films, so he gets overlooked for the big awards.

Andre Braugher, who was Frank Pembleton in "Homicide - Life on the Streets." His career never took off, but he is almost always excellent.

Braugher is hilarious in the goofy comedy series Brooklyn Nine Nine.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    W07VH5
    Picture of mark123
    posted Hide Post
    Brad Dourif is always convincingly cracked.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post