SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The new Dr Strange movie
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The new Dr Strange movie Login/Join 
posted
Well so I saw this last night with my wife. She hates time travel/continuity/multiverse stuff so you know what she thought of it. Mild spoilers perhaps ahead.

I did not enjoy it either. It was very Wandavision-esque since it obviously is. I hated Wandavision so I guess this might be a deciding factor for others. I had no idea who the little girl character was, America Valdez or something like that. Extremely powerful but can’t control it.

This movie has it all. The Mary Sue characters, the male superheroes get blown away by the Scarlet Witch like paper, the women put up a huge fight and nearly win, 2 moms, blah blah blah.

Plus, it has a mess of a script that is lots of cgi and not much else. Double plus, can someone explain the ending because fuck me I got no idea where that goes or what it represents.

Love Rachel McAdams but she is starting to look old. Damn.

4/10 and I’m being generous.

Edited to add: good point in other thread the Scarlet Witch gets a full on pass for murdering hundreds of people because well, she was sad.

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
About what I expected to hear. That company has completely lost me and I refuse to give them any more time or money. Their streaming service is history over here. I don’t go to the theater anymore due to phones and lackluster films. I will rent Blade after it comes out and comes out on disc but that’s about it. It’s enough. I’m long past comic book all the things. I look forward to NEW writing and characters and new stories as it pertains to big budget action flicks. Skin tight suit comic SuperHo, CGI out the ass, etc is burnt out.

Benedict is an outstanding actor, one of the best out there. He needs to stick to his other roles which are exemplary. He’s got great range and I enjoy his work. I’d much rather see him taking on his usual diverse roles and skip the popcorn bullshit.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t/didn’t pay for this. I agree with everything you said.

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Watched it last night also.

Had a "WTF, what was that?" moment at the end.

Too much cgi (though i guess that might be required to tell the story) and way too many "hey look at this, i can do funny lines while acting" scenes.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed it. SPOILER. The most satisfying thing to me was in the end was he finally fixed his watch.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I'm going to assume that's the last we'll see of Wanda. Such a shame they destroyed her character in Wandavision and this movie. I had to laugh, though, because this is exactly how they should have done it with Jean Grey in X-Men: Dark Phoenix.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s funny you mention that X Man movie. I never finished that one either. As a young man I always finished what I started, as an old man I got better things to do with my time. Lol

Wanda was a great character. Until Wandavision and the fact that she apparently is invincible. Only characters that seem invincible are Captain Marvel and Wanda. Even Supes has a weakness for goodness sake. Girl power! Yay. Double yay!

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
There is one person capable of defeating Carol Danvers but I don't know if she can ever be part of the MCU. That person, of course, being Rogue. I highly doubt we'll ever see that fight, though.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I made the mistake of seeing it in the theater. It was quite disappointing. Maybe I got excited for the Dr Strange character after his fight against Thanos in Infinity War.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
The quality of script writing seems to have nosedived after Endgame part 2 or whatever they renamed it to. Nothing that's come out since then has been anywhere near remotely as good as everything leading up to it.

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
What a woke piece of shit.

Only an illegal mexican with lesbian "mothers" can save the multiverse.

Everything about this was absolute trash. Not even a cameo by Bruce Campbell could save it.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I agree with the (negative) reviews. Absolutely NOTHING worth watching, IMO.

They took a great character (Scarlet Witch), and had an entire 6-7 episode series exploring her angst/issues, and her (seemingly) resolving them. THEN, they turn her into a villain who murders dozens of people on screen all because she misses her imaginary children.

I only watched it because it was streaming, so I could see it for free (somebody else in our home paid for the service).

It was just a huge disappointing mess. No redeaming qualities, except for a few short moments (Strange jumping off the balcony and then transforming in mid-drop was cool, as was most of Wong's screen time). Oh, and he fixed his watch. Whoopdie doo. He's a freaking wizard and couldn't just 'wizard' it fixed - no, he has to do this entirely unnecessary watchmaker bit to replace the broken glass. Just dumb. I mean, he can conjure wine out of thin air, but has to mechanically fix a watch.

I will never watch this movie again. I would rather re-watch Book of Boba Fett or Obi Wan than suffer through this one again.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I tired of the multiverse crap very quickly

Plot doesn't make sense? Multiverse

Kill off characters and bring them back? Multiverse Roll Eyes

I watched about five minutes of Strange last night and left the kids to it

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I watched it with the wife on Sunday evening. We both enjoyed it and had a few laughs along with the cringe.

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I hate the multiverse type stuff and the mirror universe in star trek.

In order for there to be another "you" everything from the beginning of time in that universe would have to play out exactly the same, which means it wouldn't be different in any tiny detail from ours.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Oh my. Disney + has been canceled but I have a few weeks left. I had to see the hub hub. Oh yeah, within the first few minutes, woke. Later, more woke. Then more woke all the way through. CGI, more CGI, lame story. Dumpster fire. I remember seeing the first Dr. Strange and thought it was a good film. I guess that’s what these clowns do. The first Iron Man or 2 was decent. The first Thor was excellent. Different age now. Woke it up, shit story/writing, bunch of a CGI and Disney is all “pay us sucker!” Fuck this company. I’m trying to remember the last time I saw a Disney film and was impressed with it. I guess it was the above mentioned films. Loved Tron Legacy. All they can produce now is straight up trash.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
so. very. long.

I get yanked out of the suspension of disbelief by the wet tuna to the face of "my two moms" and shit like that. Every movie, every time, all the time.

We're watching umbrella academy now, and for season two, they've upped their game. They already had a gay guy (of course), but now they have a lesbian (or is it trans) who's changer her/his pronoun. So... super! Now it's even better.

It's not so much the social issue that bothers me. It's the pandering in-your-face advertisement of social stance. I felt the same with the global warming, climate change messaging for the last 20 years. It's just jarring to have to shove it in EVERYTHING, EVERY TIME.

Posts: 11356 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wait till season 3

Posts: 1397 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post