SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Which Tom Clancy Book Would You Recommend Most?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Tom Clancy Book Would You Recommend Most? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
One of my best friends, looking at our bookshelves last night, asked me to recommend five Tom Clancy Books.

He's read The Hunt for Red October already, and enjoyed it.

I immediately came up with Red Storm Rising. Upon further thought, another I'd be inclined to recommend is Rainbow Six.

For the other three I'm not certain, so I thought I'd poll the collective Smile

I know one I would not recommend, and that's The Teeth of the Tiger. I cared neither for the premise nor the story line. I felt Clancy kind of jumped the shark with that one. (Thus it's been left out of the poll.)

Question:
Other than those I've mentioned, which Tom Clancy book would you most recommend?

Choices:
Patriot Games
Clear and Present Danger
The Sum of All Fears
Without Remorse
The Cardinal of the Kremlin
Debt of Honor
Executive Orders
The Bear and The Dragon
Dead Or Alive
Red Rabbit

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
I have all of the "original" Clancy novels (the last being Red Rabbit) and have read them all, some of them many times.

My favorite of them all is The Cardinal of the Kremlin. There's just something in the way he portrays the character of Mikhail "Misha" Filitov that I find very enjoyable. I like the story of the Russian outpost for scientific research, and the Afghan characters.

To me it is a great story and brings out the "humanness" in characters that we might not always think of as human.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6732 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Without Remorse of the ones I've read.
I recall Sum of all Fears getting extremely tedious midway through.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15333 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
Clear and present danger was my first and it set the tone for me.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4791 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I thought I read all the books Clancy wrote, but Teeth of the Tiger was a new one on me.

With hesitation, Without Remorse, I think it illustrates why Clark is such a difficult role to cast in a movie. I know Willem Dafoe didn’t get it. Liev Schreiber came closer.

Posts: 13266 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not a Clancy expert. I have read better than half of Without Remorse and Rainbow Six; neither of them I dropped because I disliked them. Is there a reason Rainbow Six doesn't get more of a mention? I recall the action being awesome, but the parts between being a bit dry and slow. Without Remorse was much more enjoyable. I need to read Clear and Present Danger, as the movie is one of my favorite movies of all time.

quote:
I know Willem Dafoe didn’t get it. Liev Schreiber came closer.
Because of my limited exposure to the books, and due to the fact I saw CaPD before I ever read any of the books, I always loved Dafoe as Clark. When I read what I read of Remorse and Rainbow, I couldn't help but imagine him as Clark.

Posts: 2157 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
I am not a Clancy expert. I have read better than half of Without Remorse and Rainbow Six; neither of them I dropped because I disliked them. Is there a reason Rainbow Six doesn't get more of a mention? I recall the action being awesome, but the parts between being a bit dry and slow. Without Remorse was much more enjoyable. I need to read Clear and Present Danger, as the movie is one of my favorite movies of all time.

I knew one was missing. I enjoyed Rainbow Six as well.
Hoping Amazon can do it justice, if it's next up after the finale of Jack Ryan.

Posts: 15333 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If he's enjoying the Jack Ryan world, than read them in order, go with Red Storm Rising, then Patriot Games and Cardinal and the Kremlin

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is there a reason Rainbow Six doesn't get more of a mention?
Because, as I noted in the OP, Rainbow Six is already one of the two I'll recommend.

I'm looking for votes on those other than the two I've already decided to recommend.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Damn! How the hell did I miss that. I read the OP, and specifically looked for mention of Rainbow. Oh well. My apologies. My vote is for Without Remorse.

quote:
Hoping Amazon can do it justice
Man, I about felt sick, when I saw the first trailer for the Without Remorse movie. Boy did they mess that up. Par for the course, for Hollywood nitwits. I have been dreaming of a Rainbow Six movie since I was first exposed to the video games, which was before I knew of any books or movies (an effect of my age and my parents being 0% into anything guns or military). They shit all over that, when they made that dambass fricken movie. No, I haven't actually seen it; I refuse.

I haven't seen the Jack Ryan series. If folks say it's good, then I suppose there's hope; just so long as they don't affiliate it at all with the Remorse film.

Sorry for the digression. This thread is about the books.

Posts: 2157 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Without Remorse of the ones listed, Rainbow Six would be the other I would recommend.

Posts: 2960 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Damn! How the hell did I miss that. I read the OP, and specifically looked for mention of Rainbow. Oh well. My apologies. My vote is for Without Remorse.

quote:
Hoping Amazon can do it justice
Man, I about felt sick, when I saw the first trailer for the Without Remorse movie. Boy did they mess that up. Par for the course, for Hollywood nitwits. I have been dreaming of a Rainbow Six movie since I was first exposed to the video games, which was before I knew of any books or movies (an effect of my age and my parents being 0% into anything guns or military). They shit all over that, when they made that dambass fricken movie. No, I haven't actually seen it; I refuse.

I haven't seen the Jack Ryan series. If folks say it's good, then I suppose there's hope; just so long as they don't affiliate it at all with the Remorse film.

Sorry for the digression. This thread is about the books.

To drift a bit more, I think Michael Pena was a good pick for Chavez in the last season of Jack Ryan. If they keep the direction the JR series went, I feel pretty confident in R6 being good.
I, too, didn't watch the Without Remorse movie, after the reviews I read here.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Michael Pena was a good pick for Chavez in the last season of Jack Ryan.
I could see that being alright. I thought Raymond Cruz was perfect, but he's too old now (same with Dafoe).

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I agree with your initial three picks as the top 3. While Red Storm Rising isn't a Jack Ryan book, it's an absolutely epic read and possibly my favorite. After those three I'd go with Clear and Present Danger and Without Remorse.

FWIW, I gave up on the Ryan series after Clancy died and the ghost writers took over. I recently gave some of the newer ones by Marc Cameron a shot, and they're actually pretty decent. Not original Clancy, but I've been enjoying them.

Posts: 8574 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
really he should just read them in order.

but my Clancy favorites are in order Red Storm Rising (as noted not a Jack Ryan book), Cardinal of the Kremlin and Hunt for Red October (which he already read).

Posts: 550 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I'd like to remind everybody to please register your votes in the poll. Thanks

Sigforum's Official
Metalhead
Picture of DTREND75
posted Hide Post
Red Storm Rising then Rainbow

Sensitive and caring since August 2009

Some people are like a Slinky....not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

Posts: 3810 | Location: PSST! Look behind you! | Registered: July 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would be a tossup between Without Remorse and Bear and the Dragon.

Posts: 2190 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Yeah, read them in order. That will keep you busy for a while. The post-Clancy Clancy books are not bad. I really liked a few of them. I doubt I'll ever go any movie they make in the future that's based on any of the original Clancy books. The ones with Harrison Ford were pretty good, but the books were still far better.

For some reason I always see Kono from the original Hawaii Five-0 as Clark. And I know this sounds silly, but I always pictured Jack Jr. to be Peter Doocy from Fox News.

Posts: 3540 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I'd like to remind everybody to please register your votes in the poll. Thanks

The post asks for three suggestions, but the poll only allows one selection...

Posts: 8574 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post