SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Betcha haven’t heard this recently. “I’ve got a brand new pair of roller skates” (Melanie)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Betcha haven’t heard this recently. “I’ve got a brand new pair of roller skates” (Melanie) Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
2’ 30” audio + album photo
https://youtu.be/lKcpodt0YCU

I hope I haven’t spoiled your day. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8931 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I must be old - I sang along knowing every word.
My first pair of roller skates needed a key to adjust the size to your shoe.

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That song makes me think of high school And what Fridays meant to me. https://youtu.be/dnqxbdnzlhw

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Hahaha! Good one, Pipe Smoker.

About Melanie and Brand New Key, WikiPedia says
quote:

When first released, "Brand New Key" was banned by some radio stations because some heard sexual innuendo in the lyrics.

Gee, d'ya think

Yup: I can sing right along with it, too Smile

If you search on her: She was quite cute.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Melanie with the Edwin Hawkins Singers performing "Lay Down" in the Netherlands in 1970. It was on a television program and the crowd was mostly older Dutch folks. She really had a strong voice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ52lk9wjZI

Posts: 770 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NOCkid:
Melanie with the Edwin Hawkins Singers performing "Lay Down" in the Netherlands in 1970. It was on a television program and the crowd was mostly older Dutch folks. She really had a strong voice:

That still resonates today. Very powerful song and a complete departure from her "Roller Skates" tune. Big Grin

Here's another rendition with lyrics displayed.
https://youtu.be/M4KHEsqAZVA

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16183 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was wonderful. I hadn't heard "Lay Down" in years!

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Hahaha! Good one, Pipe Smoker.

About Melanie and Brand New Key, WikiPedia says
quote:

When first released, "Brand New Key" was banned by some radio stations because some heard sexual innuendo in the lyrics.

Gee, d'ya think
<snip>

“Don’t go very fast but I go pretty far!”

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8931 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

quote:

Gee, d'ya think

Y'know, I never put two together, but in listening to the lyrics...yeah, you could make that argument. Big Grin

She has denied it.

On a more innocent note, we had a couple of pairs of those old metal skates with keys growing up. I remember the wheels being small enough to get hung up in the cracks on the sidewalk. They worked better out in the street...unless you kit a piece of gravel.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Oh good lord!! Takes me back to when I was 10 or 11... Eek

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone remember Midnight at the Oasis by Maria Muldaur?

Posts: 59 | Registered: July 11, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
They play this song on one of the background music channels at Home Depot.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Well, that sent me down memory lane. Thanks.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
She claimed it wasn't sexual and at the time the idea that it was never crossed he mind.

If she's still sticking to that story, I don't know. Big Grin

Always loved that song, got a great sound.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember that one. Thanks, now I've got that silly song
stuck in my head. Big Grin

Posts: 952 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HGWTJWH:

Anyone remember Midnight at the Oasis by Maria Muldaur?

Absolutely. Bought her LP. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16183 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is my ringtone. Just kidding.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by NOCkid:

That still resonates today. Very powerful song and a complete departure from her "Roller Skates" tune. Big Grin

Here's another rendition with lyrics displayed.
https://youtu.be/M4KHEsqAZVA

A great song from an era of great music. It has always moved me, from the almost startling beginning, through the gentle stanzas, and the rousing choruses. If I haven't heard it in a while, it sends chills down my spine. Then it chokes me up. When she gets to about the 2:40 mark in this, probably my favorite video rendition, the tears are streaming. I love this song. That, and I suppose, my lost youth. I was just the right age (17) when this came out, and certainly knew about Woodstock, even though I didn't go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlp3wmE4bbI

Posts: 2690 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I have heard it every year since forever and especially since 1997. It was featured in Boogie Nights, a legendary film.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12620 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post