Find
Notify
Tools

Mickey Newbury Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
Just recently discovered this guy's music and really like it. I can't believe that I'd not heard of him before.

In looking into his history, he is regarded by many to be one of the greatest songwriters ever. Even John Prine and Kris Kristofferson stated that, and I find those two to be the best. I can hear alot of John and Kris in this guy's music, along with Tom Waits. Heck, even Waylon refers to him in Lukenbach, TX : " Between Hank Williams' pain songs and Newbury's train songs and "Blue Eyes Cryin' in the Rain"".

Good stuff if you're into this kind of music.

Posts: 20147 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gus - Just what I needed.
Great artist I have never met with my ears.

Posts: 494 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Yes, thanks for this. Kinda Prine, kinda Dylan or Waylon. Reading about Newbury, his own sordid C&W story to tell. He wrote "I Just Dropped In (To See What Condition my Condition is in" after a bad injury and hospital stay.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8371 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I heard he recorded frying bacon to mimic the sound of rain falling, you can hear it at the beginning of this song.
Great singer songwriter!

OZ

Posts: 161 | Registered: February 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
One of my all time favorite songs. Mr Newbury was talented far beyond his relatively unknown fame.

Posts: 11869 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
Well, uh...
I have been a fan for a very, very long time.

One of the local TV stations where I grew up played "American Trilogy" each evening before signing off the air. A buddy of mine gave an old VHS tape of it. I was able to put it on youtube.

The quality is very, very poor at best but is the only one in existence.

Mickey Newbury - Channel 10 Sign Off

Posts: 3204 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post