SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Watched Two Classic War Movies, For the First Time & Twelve O’Clock High
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Watched Two Classic War Movies, For the First Time & Twelve O’Clock High Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
Prime. Sahara, a 1943 war movie starring Humphrey Bogart as an American tank commander in North Africa, with his crew fleeing the German offensive at Tobruk. They, and those they pick up along the way, make a stand against a German battalion at a water hole in the Sahara. I don’t remember ever seeing it before.

The War Lover, Steve McQueen and Robert Wagner. 1962 movie about an 8th Air Force B-17 crew (McQueen as pilot and Wagner as co-pilot) flying missions over Germany in 1943. McQueens character is a “dare-devil World War II bomber pilot with a death wish. Failing at everything not involving flying, Rickson lives for the most dangerous missions. His crew lives with this aspect of his personality only because they know he always brings them back alive.” (IMBD)

It seems to me that McQueen’s role as Buzz Rickson is one of his best, yet it’s not discussed like The Great Escape, or The Sand Pebbles, other films. I don’t remember seeing this one before either.

Interesting to me that last Saturday was a work day out at Frontier Park, in preparation for next month’s Cheyenne Frontier Days. We were talking about Frontier Park during WWII and the United Airlines Modiication Center, which performed the “Cheyenne Modification” to B-17s, characterized by a new tail gun turret design with a reflector sight and a wider field of fire. The 17s in the movie had this modification, fielded in 1944, while the movie was set in ‘43. That flaw aside, McQueen and Wagner were both great, and if you haven’t seen it, or haven’t seen it in a long time, I recommend you seek out both movies.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TMats,

Posts: 13547 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Saw The War Lover several times. One of my favorites. (My sister was shocked once when I recited the lines as they were said.) A mediocre movie, perhaps, but in a way showcased McQueen's real personality like no other.

"I fly by the book, but Buzz, well he flies like he's a part of the plane."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16826 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16826 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
Have watched Sahara numerous times. Great movie.

Don't think I've ever seen The War Lover though.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3447 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
I have to say I like the 're-make' of Sahara with John Belushi better than the original.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1432 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Better double-check your Belushis.

Posts: 799 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Today I watched Twelve O’Clock High. I’ve seen it, but it had been a long time. I immediately recognized the opening scene where Dean Jagger’s character walked out onto the old airfield as a civilian after the War, but I didn’t recall it so well that it wasn’t absolutely worthwhile to watch.

What a great movie, with at least two outstanding performances: Gregory Peck as Brig. Gen. Frank Savage, and Desn Jagger as Maj. Stovall. Both were nominated for Oscars, and Jarrett won Best Supporting Actor. Broderick Crawford won Best Actor for All the King’s Men, which also won Best Picture— Twelve O’Clock High was also nominated.

I have never seen the movie Broderick Crawford won the award for, but he must have been great, because Peck’s character was incredibly complex. Always keeping up his hard-ass persona, he displayed happiness and immense pride in the bomb group, both without letting anyone in on his emotions. Ultimately, of course, he broke down, at least for awhile.

What a great movie.

Posts: 13547 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^I will admit that every time I watch that one, I raise a glass as Dean Jagger's character mounts the bicycle heading out. Outstanding movie!

Posts: 3353 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
He’s watching you.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2791 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post