SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Why is the musical play "Hamilton" such a big hit?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why is the musical play "Hamilton" such a big hit? Login/Join 
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Better, and not PC.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
WHO would pay SIX HUNDRED dollars fvor a musical? That astounds me.

Blows my mind. I wouldn’t give a drop of piss to see this. In fact they’d have to pay me an awful lot of money to sit through it. I’ve listened to “Rap” since 1980. All be damned if I’m going to sit and listen to some hacks do it. I’ve seen some clips of the head guy “rappin” in this thing and started laughing. What a complete joke. Everyone on their smartphones and Hamilton rapping is the must see thing in society. Got damn.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12638 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
Better, and not PC.

Great timing....I just watched this one earlier today. I'm not a big fan of musical stuff but I enjoy this one whenever it's on.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
My adult kids just dialed it up on Disney+. I moved to the deck for some sun and sig forum.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife went to a friend's house to watch it on Disney + last night. I nicely declined to go. She told me she fell asleep while watching it and her friends looked at her like she was crazy. I love my wife.

Posts: 341 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
It's a great show. The story is the story of America. An orphan with nothing rose to the highest heights because he was ambitious, smart, and a work horse. The songs are on point. It has a bit of hip hop flair for sure but it's more in the swagger of some of the characters than anything else. Yes, some of the lyrics are rapped but it's not a three hour rap show. The torch song stands with any that came before. It's serious, it's funny, it's tragic, it's America.

Anything that gets folks interested in American history, the constitution, the ideas of the founders, etc. is a good thing.

Yes, all of that. ^

I really enjoyed it.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I just caught it for free on Disney+.

Politics of the actors aside, I agree with the above. It's a great production. Highly entertaining. And does a good job of showing a bit of insight into a portion of the founding of our nation and its tumultuous early years after independence.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
I watched it to understand the hype and was impressed. Definitely not for everyone.

But I am a little biased, because a former student was in the cast..

Posts: 3676 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Replacement Tommel:
Hamilton was a punk who tried to cheat when he fought a duel against Aaron Burr (the bastard founding father).

Hamilton + Burr = No Humans Involved. Those two wound up getting into it essentially because they'd been competing with each other to see who could whistle up bigger mobs in New York City; both were egotistical punks who never really got anything substantive done and did everything they could to ride their roles as pets for bigger men (Washington for Hamilton, Jefferson, at least initially, for Burr) into the highest possible offices.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just saw it on Disney. Had mixed feelings going into it. Still do. It IS very well produced and acted, and the singing/rapping can be extremely clever and catchy.

But...I got bored about 2/3rds through. It is long, overly. Taking a full 10-minute intermission would help. I expect seeing it live, as I was going to do this month at the Kennedy Center, would have been quite an experience. But our tickets were like $100 each as my wife is a Kennedy Center regular.

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
It's very well done, and the rap isn't offensive.

It does favor Hamilton.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Rap? Roll Eyes

Sounds like pure garbage

Any drive-by shootings or drug deals in this masterpiece? Is the term "baby daddy" or "baby mama" uttered? You know, for Jefferson.

How about 'EBT'? 'Purple drank'?

Good grief

Posts: 107599 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
There's more to rap than just "gangsta rap". Just like there's more to rock music than just death metal.

If it helps, think of it as spoken word poetry.

There's also some more traditional Broadway-style music.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
If it helps, think of it as spoken word poetry.
I prefer to think of it in more realistic terms. 'Manure' comes to mind.

These self-absorbed assclowns dare to lecture the Vice President? In person? That's indescribably rude to put the man in that position, merely because he had the poor judgement to want to see their steaming pile of crap play. Pence is a bigger man than I, because I would have walked out with my family immediately. They wouldn't have the chance to finish their fucking lecture.

At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed it. The second half drug a little, but I thought it was well done overall. Jonathan Groff’s King George is one of the greatest performances I’ve ever seen. The whole show is worth it just for him. The cabinet meeting rap battles were entertaining too.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5282 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
After they lectured Mike Pence, fuck em! If they paid him respect, I would have maybe given them a chance. They already have a strike against them for only allowing black actors.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5400 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaaron11:
The cabinet meeting rap battles were entertaining too.
Good God Roll Eyes

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
They already have a strike against them for only allowing black actors.

It has some white actors in it. But the leads are black and hispanic.

posted Hide Post
Kinda brings to mind the black version of The Wizard Of Oz.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16093 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post