SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Would I have enjoyed Goodfellas more if I had not already seen The Sopranos?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would I have enjoyed Goodfellas more if I had not already seen The Sopranos? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
I realize I am way late to the game but I just watched Goodfellas for the first time today.
I’d heard of it and knew what it was about just never watched it for some reason.
I have however have seen The Sopranos multiple times. I did not realize it shared so many characters.
Goodfellas was a decent film and worth a watch but nothing to write home about or really watch again.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I loved them both

IMO you really can’t compare the two, they are each their own entity.

You really think Goodfellas is “nothing to write home about”? Really? I never get tired of watching this movie

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I wonder if this is how someone feels about the Godfather after watching the Sopranos. lol

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I wonder if this is how someone feels about the Godfather after watching the Sopranos. lol

Have not seen any of them.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Without the Godfather and Goodfellas there is no Sopranos.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All overrated, IMO.

Posts: 128 | Location: somewhere in the lower great lakes | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I'm not mad, I'm proud of you. You took your first pinch like a man and you learn two great things in your life. Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Apples and Oranges

I mean, uh gabagool and pastrami

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I think all of the big budget and well done TV shows are more often more likable and memorable (for lack of better words) than the similar films if for no other reason than all of the wxtra tine they had for character and plot development, making for richer versions of both when done well.

It's also true that the shows all have the benefit of standing on the shoulders of the famous films and benefitting fron those examples of crime stories, mob stories, heroes and villains, etc., and are often better versions, more subtle, believable..

I can see how the films are in ways less interesting, seen now, after the best kf the best of modern TV originals.

I still love films. But TV is just longer films to me, practically speaking.

Albums vs Songs or something like that. I dunno.

Watch the films anyway. More than once each. They're still great on their own.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Leave the gun, take the cannoli" The Godfather series pretty much defines the Mob movie. The Sopranos is a departure on the genre that stands on its own. Especially with its soundtrack music.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Legendary film. Legend director.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12640 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Goodfellas was a decent film and worth a watch but nothing to write home about or really watch again.
Yeah, the director is a hack who thinks he knows how to make films.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
love this long scene -- incredible un-cut / long shot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Sr-vxVaY_M

----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post