SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Midway the 2019 movie
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Midway the 2019 movie Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Yeah I was able to see it in a early release on Monday the 4th. Heavy CGI, with way too rushed a story line. At least there weren't a lot of love story lines. Ridiculous flying acts and character behavior of modern millennials. It won't do well this weekend.

Posts: 1746 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Planes erupting in fireballs when they hit the water. Saw it Friday. I wouldn't go so far as to say I was disappointed, but it was just ok.

Posts: 11152 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Just ordered the 1976 production of Midway. Other than the ridiculous side story, it's an enjoyable film, IMO.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
CGI and PC culture have ruined modern film making.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
What gets me is the "untold story" part of the commercials.
Fuck's sake I was reading about this for fun as a kid in the 70s, not to mention the obvious fact that it's a remake. So, literally, it has been told at least once before. Roll Eyes

Sigh.
Now then, can anyone tell me if they actually got any of the minor historical points right or are we lucky they included the Japanese and US navies?

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Following the latest P.C. guidelines, did they delete the word "Jap" in this movie?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Number one for the weekend. $17,500,000

Link

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I just saw it

It was meh. On the plus side my theater was packed with a lot of people and I overheard a ton of people that were there as a way to remember on Veteran’s day weekend.

It’s probably worth seeing a matinee because of the carrier battles on the big screen.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
Following the latest P.C. guidelines, did they delete the word "Jap" in this movie?

...or "Nip"?

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
I look forward to Mel Gibson’s WWII Tin Can “Hell From The Heavens” movie describing the fight of the crew of the USS Laffey. I’ll wait until then. Very few directors I would trust with such a sacred story.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: x0225095,

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
We went to the 12:30 matinee. Not great, but I've seen worse. It was packed and several people clapped at the end.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just got home from seeing it with my 11 year old. Quite a bit of use of Jap. I didn’t think it was terrible. Dennis Quaid as Bull Halsey and Woody Harrelson as Nimitz was pretty decent. The little homage at the end where they showed a picture of the real man ( US and Japanese) and a little 2 sentences about their war career. At least the story was all based on real people and not entirely made up out of whole cloth. Seeing it on the big screen was better than a TV. I thought the CGI of the carriers and planes was very well done. People also clapped at the end of our showing as well

Interesting they just found the wreckage of the Akagi a few weeks ago

Posts: 4737 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Number one for the weekend. $17,500,000

Link

That is a pretty light weekend for an opening.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5906 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
CGI and PC culture have ruined modern film making.

God this is so true.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:
That is a pretty light weekend for an opening.

Well, it IS November.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Interesting review at Breitbart

https://www.breitbart.com/ente...citing-pro-american/

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's ANOTHER movie about the Battle of Midway, it was released back in Sept but a pal just sent me the trailer.

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnrL47mdOTg

IMDB link:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8685520/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I saw it. I liked it. Its not a masterpeice, but its enjoyable. I choked up in a few spots with emotion. Worth the watch.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
I saw it. I liked it. Its not a masterpeice, but its enjoyable. I choked up in a few spots with emotion. Worth the watch.

Same. Just watched in 4k/Dolby Vision. No masterpiece as you said but I couldn't help but get choked up at a few points. The tributes at the end to real life service members was a very very nice touch and not normal for Hollyweird.
And Dick Best. At the end I was like no way that's some Hollywood bs. Then at the end they showed him, and him being one of few pilots, ever, to get carrier shots/bombs on 2 different carriers. That was very cool. I thought it was good and a great watch at home. Woody played Nimitz decent. Patrick Wilson was good, and I really enjoyed Skrein. Tadanobu Asano is also a great Japanese actor who did well in this. I'll take a decent film like this every time over another SuperHo or Disney Star Wars film.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watched it last night for the first time on Plex...it was watchable but, it has a lot of holes, not to mention the CGI was a bit distracting.

The overall pacing and writing left a lot to be desired. IN general, the movie tried to jam way too many events into a single 2-hr movie. It's admirable that director Emmerich was passionate about the story but, good lord, fix onto a story and tell it, instead he tried to shoehorn the ENTIRE first 6-months of the Pacific campaign:

The attack on Pearl Harbor
The US raid on the Marshall & Gilbert Islands
Doolittle raid on Japan
Battle of Coral Sea
Battle of Midway

Pick one, any one and tell a complete story! The only thing missing was the Japanese capture and horrors on Wake Island, along with the capture of the Philippines.

Did we need to see the USS Nautalis...brave contributions no doubt but, all it did was muddle the story. Did we need to see quick clips of John Ford (good resemblance by the actor BTW) trying to capture footage on Midway? Perhaps that footage time could've been used to show the role of PBY Catalina's that initially found the IJN Fleet or, the B-26s along with the Vindicators and Buffalo's that flew their fateful mission.

It was good to highlight the roles of Edwin Layton, Rochefort historically has gotten a lot of credit but, Layton deserves equal billing. Bruno Gaido is another real life hero that tends to get over looked in history and what his contributions were. Featuring Dick Best, Wade McClusky, Earle Dickinson and Eugene Lindsey was great ...where was John Thatch? King, Nimitz, Halsey and Spruance get attention but, Fletcher is left out? The guy who limped Yorktown back from Coral Sea, only to get her back up and running 3-days later, is missing?! Once again, Fletcher gets screwed.

Speaking of Yorktown...an integral piece to the Battle at Midway, an unexpected participant, who's air wing sunk two carriers at Midway. Nope, all we saw was one scene of her in dry-dock at Pearl, another off on the horizon with the crew of the Enterprise cheering and a mention of her having been on-fire/hit....smh.

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post