SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Sousa‘s “The Stars and Stripes Forever”
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sousa‘s “The Stars and Stripes Forever” Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
John Philip Sousa‘s “The Stars and Stripes Forever” is the official US march. Sousa was a Marine. Here’s a good article about Sousa and the Marine Band:

http://www.marineband.marines....y/John-Philip-Sousa/

And here’s the Marine Band performing the march (love that piccolo solo!):

https://youtu.be/a-7XWhyvIpE

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8930 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
That was great, thanks for posting!

When I lived in DC we used to enjoy going to the free military band concerts at DAR Hall, steps of Congress, etc. I was in the Coast Guard Recruit Band (cymbals) Smile .

I few things I noticed, all positive:

The snare drummer is using the matched grip.
There is a pretty even balance of men and women in the band.
All the piccolo players are women.
All the percussionists are men.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sousa, himself, speaking and leading his band playing Stars and Stripes Forever in 1929:

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9143 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sousa was also a very accomplished trap shooter.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post