SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Cleopatra docudrama angering Egyptians because of race-swapping
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleopatra docudrama angering Egyptians because of race-swapping Login/Join 
posted
Cleopatra’s African Heritage in Netflix Docudrama Sparks Uproar in Egypt

The racial ignoramus' continue to spout a never ending trope that has been disproven for centuries yet, they're desperate for any kind of 'representation' even if that means warping history. Now a new document-drama has re-rolled this falsehood and Egypt, the country where this history took place isn't too happy with the historical re-write and get a taste of woke-American ideals and ideology.

quote:
Netflix’s upcoming docudrama “Queen Cleopatra” in which Britain’s Adele James, who is of mixed heritage, plays the first-century Egyptian ruler as a queen with African roots is sparking an uproar in Egypt.

Egyptian academics are claiming that Cleopatra, who was born in the Egyptian city of Alexandria in 69 BC and belonged to a Greek-speaking dynasty, was of European descent and not Black. An Egyptian lawyer has reportedly filed a complaint demanding that legal measures are taken to block Netflix outright in Egypt, to prevent the show from airing. The complaint claims the docudrama, which drops May 10, violates the country’s media laws.

Netflix did not immediately comment.

Regarding the choice of casting Adele James as Cleopatra, Netflix’s promotional website Tudum in February quoted Jada Pinkett Smith, who is the show’s executive producer, as saying that since the queen’s heritage has been debated, it was “a nod to the centuries-long conversation about the ruler’s race.”
[There's been zero debate, the only people pushing and keeping this theory alive are those who insist upon pushing modern societal constructs on historical/ancient societies. Cleopatra VII is Greek, she's a Ptolemy from Macedonia, who ruled Egypt for 300 years before her; before the Greek rulers it was ruled for 200 years by the Persian Achaemenid empire]

“We don’t often get to see or hear stories about Black queens, and that was really important for me, as well as for my daughter, and just for my community to be able to know those stories because there are tons of them!,” she noted.

There is no doubt among scholars that Cleopatra was Macedonian-Greek on her father Ptolemy XII’s side. But since the ethnic origin of her mother is not known, some historians say it’s possible that the Egyptian ruler’s mother was African and, therefore, that she could have been of mixed heritage.
Roll Eyes [The Ptolomy's practiced sibling marriage in order to integrate with Egyptian religious and dynastic precedent, ergo Cleopatra's mother, was very likely her aunt, the likelihood of a non-Greek bloodline was unheardof]

Last week’s trailer drop for “Queen Cleopatra” has caused a stir in Egypt where Zahi Hawass, a prominent Egyptologist, was quoted by the al-Masry al-Youm newspaper as strongly disputing the possibility that Cleopatra was of mixed race. “This is completely fake. Cleopatra was Greek, meaning that she was light-skinned, not Black,” he said.

Meanwhile, actor Adele James has taken to Twitter to tell critics: “If you don’t like the casting, don’t watch the show.”

Debates over how Cleopatra is represented on screen aren’t new. Plans for a movie that was set to be initially directed by Patti Jenkins and starring Israeli actor Gal Gadot as the iconic Egyptian queen prompted debate, with critics saying the time had come for the role to go to an Arab or African actor. The movie has not been made.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
The worst bigots I ever met--prior to the US after 6/2020--were Moors in Mauritania when I was a Peace Corps volunteer. We had dinner in the house of local police chief, who was a Moor (they are mixture of Arab and Berber). He said very time he saw one of those "big black bucks"--the closest I could get in translation--he felt like getting his rifle and shooting him in the head. We used to call him "Bull Connor" after that.

One of the Moors who was doing language/culture training for us in New Mexico went to a barber shop. The barber refused to cut his hair because barber said he was "Black". Our Moor went ballistic--not about the hair cut but because the guy had called him a Black. BTW they have curly hair and pretty dark skin, darker than many American blacks.

All that to say that I understand where the Egyptians are coming from. Over there, the real blacks are Nilotic tribes and historically slaves I believe. That's what the Blacks in Mauritania were--slaves. Still had a slave market upcountry from where we were.

What pisses me off about this CRT/anti-racism/systemic racism lying shit is that they are deliberately dividing people into tribes like Rwanda. It's truly evil.

Posts: 18070 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dividing Americans into tribes and encouraging hostility between groups makes it easier to stay in power.

“Divided we fall!”

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:

quote:
Netflix’s upcoming docudrama “Queen Cleopatra” in which Britain’s Adele James, who is of mixed heritage, plays the first-century Egyptian ruler as a queen with African roots is sparking an uproar in Egypt...

Meanwhile, actor Adele James has taken to Twitter to tell critics: “If you don’t like the casting, don’t watch the show.”

Don't worry Adele, I won't.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8351 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
There have long been some among us who are convinced Babe Ruth was black.
Ignore such needy souls for what they are.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8349 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm... The last person I saw portray Cleo in a movie was Liz Taylor.
I dont recall a lot of bitching about that.
And they lost me completely at "Jada Pinkett Smith". Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16098 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
There is no doubt among scholars that Cleopatra was Macedonian-Greek on her father Ptolemy XII’s side. But since the ethnic origin of her mother is not known, some historians say it’s possible that the Egyptian ruler’s mother was African and, therefore, that she could have been of mixed heritage.
Roll Eyes [The Ptolomy's practiced sibling marriage in order to integrate with Egyptian religious and dynastic precedent, ergo Cleopatra's mother, was very likely her aunt, the likelihood of a non-Greek bloodline was unheardof]

In fact both Cleopatra (VII.)'s father Ptolomy XII. and his father Ptolomy IX. were married to their sisters Cleopatra VI. and Cleopatra IV. respectively, the latter subsequently divorcing and marrying the younger Cleopatra V. at the instigation of his mother Cleopatra III. (everyone keeping up?). However, both are also assumed to have entertained relationships with unnamed Egyptian noblewomen.

Ptolomy XII. was called a bastard by ancient historians including Cicero, and had a hard time asserting his claim to the Egyptian throne with Rome as Egypt's protecting power; his father's second wife Cleopatra V. tried to establish one of her two sons with her third husband Antiochos X. (who was the son and nephew of her first and second husband respectively). It's quite possible that he was actually the son of either of his aunts rather than a concubine, but there's no sources outright naming the mothers of Ptolomy IX.'s daughter and two sons.

Ptolomy XII. himself seems to have dropped his sister/wife Cleopatra VI. with which he had his only legitimate daughter Berenike IV. (per contemporary historian Strabon) after 69 BC, because her name just vanishes from official documents. Berenike was later executed by her father after a struggle for the throne. His two younger daughters and two sons are again assumed to be the product of a subsequent marriage with an unnamed Egyptian noblewoman, possibly from the Memphis high priest family with which he had close relations; it was considered illegitimate by his fellow Greek though.

So it's rather possible that Cleopatra VII. was 50-75 percent Egyptian rather than straight Greek. Unlike the other Ptolomies, she actually spoke the language of the land, too. The real leap is obviously assuming Egyptian = African = black. The ancient Egyptians were mediterranean North Africans, most closely related to today's Arabs and Berbers. Sub-Saharan Nubia, called Kush by the Egyptians, was of course part of their empire, and the black Kushite pharaos indeed ruled over Egypt as the 25th dynasty for a few decades in the early 7th century BC. Still, genetic studies show sub-Saharan influences to be rare in pre-Roman Lower Egypt.

It's therefore a stretch to make Cleopatra part black; basically, an attempt at cultural appropriation. Though it probably beats celebrating her as a product of multi-generational incest ...

Posts: 2419 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Let’s see a “docudrama” where a prominent black person in history is portrayed by anyone but a black person; I’ll bet these fools complaining about supposedly racist people having a problem with a black Cleopatra would absolutely lose their minds. Even better, make a series about Islam with Muhammad being a black guy; that would probably start a worldwide firestorm.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15591 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Queen Cleopatra has an IMDb rating of 1.1 (IMDb goes from 1-10, not 0-10).

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15485 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
This is pretty interesting:

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9160 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
They lost me at Jada and I’m typically a huge fan of Egyptian history. I gotta pass on anything attached to that toxic monster.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21115 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
They lost me at Jada

You keep her name out of your mother f’ing mouth!!!!

Sorry I dunno what came over me. I just couldn’t resist. Just weak willed I guess. Razz

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Big Grin

It’s getting trashed in the reviews. Imagine my shock.

From the link below:

“On the website, the Netflix show, executive produced by Jada Pinkett Smith, has an 11% from nine critics and a 2% audience score with over 2,500 viewers reporting. The series’s predecessor African Queens: Njinga has an 88% score from critics on the outlet, but an 18% from viewers.“

Reception to Jada’s Cleopatra

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21115 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

One was a movie that never pretended to be real while the idiots producing are trying to claim these are the "facts."

Posts: 4182 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

One was a movie that never pretended to be real while the idiots producing are trying to claim these are the "facts."

The fools who keep citing Liz Taylor's portrayal can't seem to wrap their heads around how that particular movie, was really a grandiose/over-the-top production (not to mention being grossly over-budget), which was more about spectacle & pageantry (and insane on-set drama), than any accurate retelling of history. Meanwhile there's been at-least 10+ movie portrayals of her and that's the LONE example they keep citing as being a questionable portrayal?

Most experts in Egyptology and the Roman Empire have pointed out the portrayal of her in the HBO mini-series Rome was as close to a accurate depiction as we can imagine based upon all the writings and tellings of life in 1st century BC.

SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
The facial reconstructions in the video above did indeed remind me very much of Lindsey Marshal in "Rome". Which is probably in large part to the credit of the make-up department; when I looked her up I was surprised she's pretty much a milquetoast Brit without any Mediterranean suggestion otherwise. Funnily, she actually studied archeology.

Posts: 2419 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Topical. I love his new definition of "racists," and in-fact, may try to proliferate that. Big Grin

He absolutely destroys the underpinnings of the whole documentary, easily the history, but also gives the short version of the documentary they would have made were they being honest about their motivations. His channel is ad-heavy, both read ads and ad breaks. Not so bad with a browser that has an ad blocker, but you've been warned.

And a followup I haven't watched yet:

quote:
Originally posted by BansheeOne:
I was surprised she's pretty much a milquetoast Brit without any Mediterranean suggestion otherwise.

Oh, yeah. Definitely the pale, blue-eyed blonde or redhead one might otherwise picture. Big Grin

She doesn't look markedly different than many of the Athenian street vendors in these videos, which I will not embed to save page space.

https://youtu.be/yyWMZzzxdc4

https://youtu.be/d6HqgObSxJ0

How about this one of Athenian night life? I'm sure there's tourists, yes, but there's no way a good chunk of these women aren't Greek. They don't look much different than that actress.

https://youtu.be/2xImZFL2cAc

Posts: 17151 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I came across this myth while working with about three black women in a department in the 90s. They had posters depicting blacks as Egyptian nobles and rulers. Iirc, sort of like a family tree.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19675 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post