Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wallander Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I'm 1.5 seasons in. I gave it a shot since it seemed to sound like Inspector Morse / Endeavor, which I liked.

He seems weak. Physically. Mentally. As a critical thinker / detective. As a man. As a friend. As a colleague. He utterly fails when it counts.

Is this how the Swedes want their detectives to be? Or is he just supposed to be a tragic hero? Or what?

I find him unlikeable and a poor excuse for a detective. Seems like he should have been fired for cause long ago. Unless that's the writer's intention - utterly flawed and inept yet still closes the cases / better than nothing?

ETA: clarify that I'm referring to the BBC remake with Branaugh as the lead actor. I wasn't aware of the original Swedish versions. I wish I could watch them but they are unavailable or not free (at least to the services I have).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: konata88,

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13082 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well...At least he carried a Sig.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16378 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Yea. Looks well used for something never fired.

It would be nice if he carried rounds as well. Ran out after 3 rounds one time. Then failed to fire second time - either unloaded or empty chamber. Buffoon.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13082 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He is broken, and failing, but still doing his job, because it is all he is.

I liked the series

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Branagh does a great job playing the character the way it's written.

Sarah Smart does a nice job in her supporting role.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3604 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Agree. The acting is good. Still watching S3 but he’s getting weaker and increasingly unlikable. Why a character like this is popular is beyond me. I can’t name one redeeming quality as a cop or as a man.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
watched it years ago, and may again (the wife is showing interest in it)

I thought it was a good show, but a bit slow,

kinda reminded me of Hinterlands in that respect

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10571 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
just finishing S4E1. With each passing episode, I'm increasingly wondering how this guy made it in life to this point. Let alone how he managed to make detective. Seriously, wtf - could this guy be any more inept and incompetent and weak? He's literally stumbling over things. It's like 3 stooges except this is supposed to be serious.

I'm done. I can't take anymore. I was hoping for something redeeming but can't wait anymore. What a dumb fuck. I mean - the car scene in the middle of fucking nowhere. He's locked out of his car w/ a bunch of kids inside? Seriously?

Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I've not watched the new version with Branaugh, but the Swedish original was pretty good. Wallander's backstory is fairly harsh (for a Swedish cop anyway). The Swedish Wallander is by no means incompetent though.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16227 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've not watched the new version with Branaugh, but the Swedish original was pretty good. Wallander's backstory is fairly harsh (for a Swedish cop anyway). The Swedish Wallander is by no means incompetent though.

Interesting - I'll try to find the original Swedish version. I stopped watching the one with Branaugh. I kept hoping he would grow a pair eventually but got tired of waiting.

posted Hide Post
The remake Wallander was a pussy. They turned Scandinavian angst into weak-willed whining. It was shot prettily though.

The actual Swedish series is significantly better,as the cultural aspects are more genuine and consistent. With themselves that is, certain things seem odd as an American but if you’ve had any contact with Scandinavians it makes sense.

I never bothered with the the “prequel” series on Netflix, it’s in English and only the lead actor is Swedish. Plus it’s woke trash from everything I’ve heard.

Edit-also the remake does a not great job of portraying what happens to him at the end of the series. There’s a reason he’s all fucked up near the end, but the way it’s played is a caricature vs jumbled decay and other indicators that it should have been.

Posts: 268 | Registered: November 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post