SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What's your favorite track day motorcycle?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your favorite track day motorcycle? Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
It's been a few years' since my last excursions, and its time to resume the enjoyment.

MOROSO/PBIR, Roebling Road, JenningsGP, Road Atlanta, Barber. They've all suffered my eternal novice/intermediate skill levels over the years.

Everyone one of those tracks and bikes was as much or more fun than the others.

You know what I mean.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
I haven't done a track day but I would love to own a BMW S1000XR and try one. I like watching CubanRider on YouTube and he's done a few track days at COTA on his and it looks fun as hell.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Honestly with all the modern bikes and the IMU’s pick your poison. All the current liters have nannies out the ass.

A 600cc is always ideal. Most of our tracks don’t have long straights were a 1000cc would be beneficial over a 600cc. And as an adult you are never going to race professionally so really when you go, you should focus on your lines, and braking markers. The rest is for the ego obsessed and a pecker contest in sessions.

I still think a nice clean used FI’d SV650 is the perfect track bike. It’s super easy to work on, reliable, and easy to fix if you bin it. And they are relatively inexpensive.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12630 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I think because of its linear power delivery and nearly bullet proof engine Prefontane is probably right, the SV650 must be considered amongst the best when discussing good track bikes. The FZ 07 is probably a great bike too for the same reasons as the SV650.

There was a superbike school that switched to S1000RR’s and believe it or not saw a drastic reduction in crashes thanks in large part to the electronics and rider aids on the BMW.

The worst bikes would be any 1000cc superbike from the late 90’s - early 2000’s. I wouldn’t dream of doing a track day on my 1st Gen R1.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Novice/Beginner: Ninja 400

Intermediate: I agree, SV650 is hard to go wrong

I hear a lot of people praising the Kawi 636 for a track bike.

No seat time on one, but always been a fan of the R6, personally.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I wouldn’t dream of doing a track day on my 1st Gen R1.

Why not? Track days are not racing, period. There are many that show up that think they are racing, but they're idiots. They are easy to spot because they sandbag the class. If they're a novice, they'll go in the beginner group. If they are well seasoned, they'll drop into novice just to pass people and stroke their ego. It's akin to some loser playing video games and using cheats, IE bitches.

You can do a trackday on a R1, or a damn Goldwing, or a bagger. The type of bike is completely irrelevant. I have seen every type of bike imaginable at the track. You go there to work on skill, work on your braking, corner entry and exit. A monkey could go fast in a straight line so the track is a great place for anyone inexperienced to get some training. Instructors do not care what bike you are on, at all. In fact they are happy to have the guy/gal on a Goldwing, a 250cc, a cruiser/Harley, whatever.

I think people who have never gone think it's some place where everyone is just slaying lap times or think it's a competition. There is the misconception by people that have never done them, as well as some that actually participate, that it's a racing event. It is not. They are no trophies, qualifying, podiums, champagne, or brollies. Pick whatever bike you like, even an enduro, and go take a track day. It's the best place to learn. You'll learn more in one track day than you will in an entire year on the street. Just leave eyour ego at the track entrance.

Beginner and even novice classes, there will be rules. No passing in the corners, passing on the straights only and you have to be 6 feet from another bike when passing on a straight. Anyone in violation of this, report them, and/or move to a different group. There will always be some asshole passing in corners in a beginners group, which is why I mentioned this above. After the session or during, report their ass and get them warned or kicked, and/or demand to move to another session. I have helped many a Harley/Goldwing/dual-sport guys at the track. At some schools the instructors will give all the instruction time to the fast guys so I'll get blocked by say a BMW guy, and I don't mean a S1000R, tap my tail, and get them to follow me so they learn where the braking markers are, and get their cornering speed up following my lines. You can find a solid outfit to do trackdays with. I've had some schools I've told to fuck off because they were not enforcing their own rules and it was anarchy. They learn quickly when I call my credit card company and get my fee refunded. Most are good however. Schools are there to teach you how to corner safely, brake safely, not judge you or your bike, only judge your skills and teach you how to increase them.

Just slow down and take extra caution at the first track day of the year. And always be super mindful during the first and last sessions of the day. The idiots I spoke of, that's where they go down most of the time. They start pushing their own skills and envelope too early or too late in the day when they are tired and go home with their ego and bike crushed. It's usually the phucktard with a spotless brand new F250 Diesel, brand new bike trailer, CF bodywork latest and greatest literbike, etc. They are always easy to spot in session and they are easy to distance yourself from.

Ego is the most important thing to remove before going. Someone is always going to faster than you, have more skill, pass you, etc. Cool, let them go on their way. You haven't ridden a motorcycle until you have been on track, cutting excellent lines for yourself, nailing your braking markers, only to get slain coming out of a corner on a straight by a 250cc two stroke, ridden by some 14 year old phenom on his way to semi-pro or professional racing with daddy money. But most of the time even those kids are cool and are willing to let you follow/tail them to better your lines.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12630 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I really think the KTM RC390 or the Ninja 400 are the most fun. You can wring them out for all they're worth and really feel like you're racing. Bigger bikes are a little to serious and can get me into scary situations so I feel I have to be more reserved which equals less fun.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've taken my Ducati scrambler out to track days a few times. It's my normal commuter bike. It's a hoot. If I bought something just for a track day, it would be something cheap and quasi disposable. My friend gave me some fun advice. Don't bring a bike you wouldn't feel comfortable leaving in a dumpster. While I'm not that dismissive, his point is well taken.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. I've ridden many different sportbikes in schools and track days, and totalled two. Because. I chose actions ... poorly.

I'm used to dualsports on street and dirt.

Any suggestions on Supermotard bikes for trackdays? It might be awesome good fun to try something different.

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
SV650 or FZR600. Both inexpensive bikes to maintain and a lot of fun on the track, but I haven’t been on a track in 15 years either. My first time at Jennings, I rode off the track at the end of turn one. People warned me about it and they were right. The last time I was there, I low sided in turn 13. I was on my way back from Brainerd and my tires were done after four days there, but I figured if I just took it easy, they would be fine. It worked out for most of the day.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post