SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Teaser: The Grand Tour's Last Special--this is the end, my friends
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Teaser: The Grand Tour's Last Special--this is the end, my friends Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted
From Instapundit:

quote:
“ONE FOR THE ROAD:” The Grand Tour Reveals First-Look Image, Release Date for Final Episode: Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May Head to Zimbabwe for Last Ever Road Trip.

The final ever episode of “The Grand Tour” is almost here and Prime Video is giving fans a sneak peak of what to expect — and when.

“The Grand Tour: One for the Road,” a one-off special representing the conclusion of the long-running series, is set to launch on Sept. 13 on the streamer in over 240 countries. Producer Andy Wilman unveiled a first-look image (see above) and release date at the Edinburgh TV Festival, where he is appearing on a panel.

It will see Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May reunite on a final road trip.

“In their last adventure, Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May ignore the instructions of Mr Wilman and head to Zimbabwe in three cars they’ve always wanted to own, a Lancia Montecarlo, a Ford Capri 3-litre, and a Triumph Stag*, for a stunning road trip through beautiful and sometimes challenging landscapes leading to an emotional ending on a strangely familiar island,” reads the synopsis.

More details at the Daily Mail: First look at The Grand Tour’s ‘weepy’ final episode as Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May unite for last time in ‘One For The Road’ special — and it’s just weeks away from hitting screens.

Long-time producer Andy Wilman told the Edinburgh TV Festival that filming the episode was ‘quite weepy’ and ‘quite heart-stringy’.

Asked why the trio had decided to bring to a close the global phenomenon, Wilman said: ‘We are getting to the point where enough is enough. On top of that, there is the sense that we want to end things on our own terms. It had to come to an end and we wanted to be the ones who called it.’

They shot the last episode in September last year. It will see the hosts return to Kubu Island, Botswana, which was the location of their first ever special. Wilman described the episode as “deliberately gentle” as the three stars wanted to go back to basics.

He said: ‘They wanted to go “unplugged”. We wanted to go back to 2005, leave the dynamite at home, we will go with s*** old cars. They give you more TV than modern new cars, they give you more stories, more laughs. So they wanted evocative cars that they adore and they wanted to be in Africa. It is the favourite continent we ever filmed in.’

The producer added: ‘Their comradery is next level. I think that you can see that they know this is the last time they will do this.’

For me personally, I am happy to have had these "friends" for twenty years or so; watched pretty much everything they've done together; went through the hard times of transition; and now get to see the last act. I'm sad that there is nothing to replace them; and that it's likely that future cars will not be worth a TV show, much less one watched around the world.

Posts: 18342 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
have to watch that, these three are fantastic together, and the road shows are always Epic.

Remember the chaos in Top Gear Patagonia, they had to escape from the crazies in Ushira through Argentina over a license plate number debacle on the internet where the plate was supposedly put on by Clarkson as a in the Patagonia episode...

In 2014, the Top Gear crew visited Ushuaia, Argentina while filming a special episode that involved driving along Route 40 to the city. The episode became controversial after Jeremy Clarkson's Porsche 928 GT was given a number plate that some believed was a reference to the Falklands War. The plate, "H982 FKL", was actually a random number chosen by the manufacturer, but the crew had previously changed the plate to "H1 VAE" after comments on Twitter. When the crew arrived in Ushuaia, a group of protesters believed the plate was a reference to the Falklands War and the year it took place. The crowd became incensed, shouting "burn their cars" and attempting to attack the crew with pickaxe handles. The crew abandoned their cars and were eventually denied permission to film by local authorities, leaving the country three days early.

Posts: 24203 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Sad for it to end, but it's been a fun ride all these years.

I first found TG:UK when I was in college, so around 2004-05 & have been hooked since.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15966 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

They shot the last episode in September last year. It will see the hosts return to Kubu Island, Botswana, which was the location of their first ever special. Wilman described the episode as “deliberately gentle” as the three stars wanted to go back to basics.

He said: ‘They wanted to go “unplugged”. We wanted to go back to 2005, leave the dynamite at home, we will go with s*** old cars. They give you more TV than modern new cars, they give you more stories, more laughs. So they wanted evocative cars that they adore and they wanted to be in Africa. It is the favourite continent we ever filmed in.’

I always thought the Botswanna episode was one of the best ones they did. It tapped into a vein of both adventure, resourcefulness and comedy, pretty much what any 'guys trip' is all about, and what made the episode one of the best. Glad to see them go back, I'm imagining the episode will have a number of call-backs to the prior filming.

Posts: 15053 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:

I always thought the Botswanna episode was one of the best ones they did. It tapped into a vein of both adventure, resourcefulness and comedy, pretty much what any 'guys trip' is all about, and what made the episode one of the best. Glad to see them go back, I'm imagining the episode will have a number of call-backs to the prior filming.

Oliver!

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15966 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:

Oliver!

And mad respect for the VW Bug, their "goto breakdown vehicle", which made it without any incidents.

Posts: 4052 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Bittersweet. I love the guys, especially on the specials. I will miss them.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1783 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I missed a lot of the early years and have been watching from season 2 onwards on Prime.

I’d seen clips from the early shows but never the full episodes.

They were a great team.

Posts: 53770 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good thing is they've all got a variety of other interests, much of it can be seen on YT. Drivetribe has Hammond's daughter on as a host and they can't seem to go a week without roping-in one of the Three for some kind of cameo or, soundbite. Clarkson's Farm continues to pull-in huge ratings and his life as a farmer, merchant and recently a pub proprietor seem to have taken off; I believe he still writes for UK media as a freelancer and possibly still hosts the UK Who Wants to be a Millionaire.

Posts: 15053 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
One last adventure. I am really looking forward to it.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3656 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
For me personally, I am happy to have had these "friends" for twenty years or so; watched pretty much everything they've done together; went through the hard times of transition; and now get to see the last act. I'm sad that there is nothing to replace them; and that it's likely that future cars will not be worth a TV show, much less one watched around the world.

Well said, and I couldn't agree more. I grew up on Top Gear, and have seen every episode since season one, and then with the jump to Amazon and the Grand Tour as well. These three men and this show have had a huge impact on my thoughts about cars, driving, and road tripping in general. I'm going to miss them, but I understand the desire to end on their own terms. The cool thing is that a lot of the episodes, especially the "specials" are worth going back and watching over again and again.

Another good show that doesn't have quite the production value, is a little heavier on the mechanical side, and maybe a bit less scripted is Roadkill on Motortrend. Especially their earlier episodes before they got bigger and gained more sponsorships, I really felt like they captured the essence of what it means to have fun with cars, hit the road with something that barely runs, and have an adventure that's fun even if everything falls apart.

Posts: 9175 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Rogue and Blackguard
Picture of FPNunes
posted Hide Post
I'm a sucker for everything that they have put out over the years and still find myself watching their solo projects/series.

The chemistry between Jeremy, James and Hamster still remains fun to watch. I'm going to miss seeing them together.

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...

Posts: 1588 | Location: Missing New England everyday | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Official Trailer

Posts: 148 | Location: San Diego, California | Registered: May 24, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post