SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Leave Thomas Magnum alone.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leave Thomas Magnum alone. Login/Join 
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff:
quote:
Originally posted by RichN:
Opening sequence:

Magnum looks down at the ass of the flight attendant he is teaching to swim. Of course, it's a male Starbuck Barrista.

Dude! No! Just no.

fify

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
Agree - Tom Selleck is Magnum.

For me all of these reboots of old favorites is a direct result of a lack of original thinking in Hollywood.

Posts: 244 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I agree with leaving Magnum alone and I don't think I was much of a fan either.

I think Rockford would be good for a reboot. I watched the show. It's a character that is separate from the actor.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drew3630:
Agree - Tom Selleck is Magnum.

For me all of these reboots of old favorites is a direct result of a lack of original thinking in Hollywood.

"Think 'Die Hard' in an office building."

^^After Die Hard it was apparently a thing to pitch a movie as "Die Hard in a -----." Die Hard in a mall. Die Hard on a boat. Die Hard in space. Die Hard in a submarine. Die Hard on a blimp.

Until somebody who hadn't actually seen Die Hard tried out that pitch with "Die Hard in an office building," and didn't get why everybody started laughing.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

I think Rockford would be good for a reboot. I watched the show. It's a character that is separate from the actor.

um,

no

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:

um,

no

Rebooting Rockford is my fucking opinion that's not up for argument or for your approval. Feel free to have your own opinion and I won't say yea or nay to it.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

um,

no

Rebooting Rockford is my fucking opinion that's not up for argument or for your approval. Feel free to have your own opinion and I won't say yea or nay to it.

mighty pissy,

did you just get rocks for Halloween?

and by your comment, saying no is my opinion,, get over it

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

um,

no

mighty pissy,

did you just get rocks for Halloween?

and by your comment, saying no is my opinion,, get over it

I take it you're that dense I have to explain it to you?

If you simply wanted to state your opinion, you didn't need to quote me.

If I had said 2 + 2 = 5, it would be appropriate for you to quote me and say, "umm, no" because it's a matter of fact whether 2 plus 2 is equal to 5 and not a matter of opinion.

The form of your post is overbearing - unpleasantly and/or arrogantly domineering. If you simply want to express your opinion instead of expressing your supposed superiority, simply respond to the thread. It would have been less work than quoting and bolding parts of my post.

And this is the last I'll say about this. If you don't get it, I can't/won't help you understand.

Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
I agree that Ray's opinion regarding Jim Rockford being seperable from James Garner is wrong.

Posts: 5130 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
I agree that Ray's opinion regarding Jim Rockford being seperable from James Garner is wrong.

Now that's an opinion in a form I can accept. Smile

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:

Now that's an opinion in a form I can accept. Smile

well lord knows we are all just waiting what you can accept,,,,

Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
I agree. Magnum Pi was the show to end all shows in the 80's. At least it was to me.

Still is to me. Best show ever...

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Sometimes Tom Selleck drove around Hanauma Bay, over Old Pali Road and then right down the Ala Wai on his way home to Pahonu, the 3-acre estate that belonged to Robin Masters on the hit TV show, Magnum, P.I. And that was only slightly less believable than that whole “just crash in Master Robin’s bathhouse and use his Ferrari” gig he had going.

The estate where Magnum lived, which was built in 1933 in a beautiful Spanish Colonial style on an even more beautiful piece of land, was demolished this past weekend. It was designed by Louis Davis, who also designed McKinley High School, and owned for many years by Eve Anderson, a local politician. It was known across the country and beyond as Robin’s Nest, Magnum P.I.’s stunning crash pad, and the perfect place to teach a babe to snorkel in the turtle pond of former royalty.

In 2014, the estate was listed for sale for $15,750,000. It sold in March 2015 for $8.7 million. It’s now held in an LLC registered by Marty Nesbitt of Chicago, the CEO and founder of The Parking Spot and a close friend of former President Barack Obama. It’s sat empty since the sale while rumors flew—some think it was really Obama who bought it.

Now, all 11,000-plus square feet of it are gone—just as Magnum, P.I. is set to make a comeback. There are more than 130,000 square feet of land to work with, and its zoned R-10, meaning one home can be built for each 10,000 square feet of land. We hope something equally beautiful comes next.

link

and there's more. Obama buddy buys the property in 2014. In 2015 the state's rules on demolition of historic buildings were changed, so there was no review of this site before demolition.

Lack of preservation review highlights impacts from statutory changes in 2015
4/4/2018: The Waimanolo Estate known as “Pahonu” has been demolished, according to news accounts this week.

The 8,900 square-foot home was built in 1933 by the family of former Hawaii State Representative Eve Anderson, who was the stepdaughter of Cox Communications heiress Barbara Cox Anthony. The estate was best known as the filming location for “Robin’s Nest,” the featured location on the television series Magnum P.I. which filmed in Hawaii from 1980-1988.

The estate’s architect was Louis Davis, who was a prominent architect of the 1920s-1930s. He moved to Honolulu in 1911 and formed a partnership with C.B. Ripley. He is best known for his Spanish-influenced designs, including the former Police Station on Bethel Street, McKinley High School and the Waikiki Fire Station.

The estate included a Spanish Colonial Revival-style main house, a unique boathouse (which doubled as Magnum’s living quarters on the series), a gatehouse, a storage wing, a private tennis court, and the beach and tidal pool.

The estate is known as “Pahonu” in tribute to the ancient Hawaiian turtle pond on the site. The tidal pool was a pen used to trap sea turtles (“honu” in Hawaiian) as a delicacy for the ali‘i (high ranking chiefs). Turtle meat was kapu (forbidden) to all but the chiefs under penalty of death. The turtle pond and rock wall were restored in the 1960’s and added to the Hawaii Register of Historic Places in 1978.

Pahonu Pond

The estate was purchased by Marty Nesbitt in 2015 for $8.7 million. The City & County of Honolulu Department of Planning and Permitting (DPP) issued a demolition permit last week.

After news of the demolition was announced, Historic Hawaii Foundation (HHF) was contacted by several members of the community with questions about how an iconic and historically significant property could be demolished without review.

“The historic preservation laws that require review prior to alteration or demolition were changed a few years ago,” said Kiersten Faulkner, executive director. “Although Historic Hawaii Foundation opposed the bills to remove the existing protections, the state legislature chose to exempt non-registered dwelling units from the protective measures provided to other property types.”

HB 830 was enacted as Act 224 on July 9, 2015. That measure amended state law to exclude privately-owned, single-family detached dwelling units and townhouses from historic preservation review (HRS 6E-42.2) unless they are listed on the state or national registers; nominated for the register; or located in a historic district.

Prior to the change, state law (HRS 6E-42) required that a county or state agency shall submit any project affecting a privately-owned property over 50-years old that is not listed on the state register of historic places for review and comment by the State Historic Preservation Division. SHPD would review the property to determine if it has historic significance, and review the project to see if it would affect the historic features or integrity. SHPD would then advise the agency of specific conditions for preservation or mitigation that should be part of any approval.

Usually permits would include the conditions, although the agency could reject the SHPD’s advisory comments if it chose to do so. A different section of the law (HRS 6E-10) applies to privately-owned property listed on the historic register, and 6E-8 applies to publically-owned property whether or not they are listed.

“As a result of the statutory change, there has been no historic preservation review for any permits of any magnitude for any privately-owned dwelling of any historic significance, regardless of how important or how impactful the project would be on part of Hawaii’s heritage,” Faulkner said.

Faulkner said that during the 2015 legislative session, several bills were introduced to repeal or revise the preservation statutes.

“The Legislature followed the lead of the Building Industry Association, which argued that the review was stifling development and was too burdensome for contractors and homeowners. SHPD also felt that the volume of project reviews referred to it was unmanageable and the department wanted to reduce its workload,” Faulkner said.

“Historic Hawaii Foundation opposed the change to the law. We offered alternatives that would address those concerns, including trying to establish thresholds for which kinds of permits should be reviewed and what kinds of properties should be reviewed or prioritized. Those options were rejected because they would require professional judgment and rules, while the pro-demolition folks wanted a simple exemption and nothing with nuance. They prevailed with the decision-makers.”

Other local jurisdictions (Hawaii, Maui and Kauai Counties) have established local preservation ordinances, including cultural resource commissions, local historic designations, and planning department procedures. However, City & County of Honolulu has repeatedly refused to implement a local preservation program, despite having enabling legislation to do so. Both HHF and SHPD have tried to get the City to implement its ordinance, but the planning department has not moved forward, said Faulkner.

With the change in the state statute, and in the absence of a local preservation program, there are no state or local government programs in place on Oahu to support the preservation of non-listed, privately-owned historic homes. There are both regulatory and incentive programs available to listed homes only.

“The only safeguard is to have owners who understand and care enough about Hawaii’s heritage to make efforts to preserve and protect it. That was insufficient in this case,” Faulkner said.

LINK

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Wow, thanks for the resurrection of an almost two year old zombie thread with some pointless blabber about how you don’t care for the subject at hand.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1771 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by furlough:
Wow, thanks for the resurrection of an almost two year old zombie thread with some pointless blabber about how you don’t care for the subject at hand.

^Nice.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Well Chuck, I appreciate the update. That's actually kinda sad to read.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Sad for me..means I was too late....I had always meant to go back and see robin’s nest one more time after growing up on Oahu in part during the beginning of magnum. Life just got in the way

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Chuck. Yep, a piece of me just died.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16318 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rebut10
posted Hide Post
It would be truly sad if that amazing property were to become a 12 to 13 spec house sub division...a terrible waste...truly sad. Waimanolo will have lost not only a piece of historical art but a cite that people still drove by for nostalgia's sake regarding Magnum PI as I did several times when I lived on Oahu.

I was (always) a little surprised that Selic didn't step up and buy it when it was available...It would have been like buying his "childhood" home in paradise.

It's not like he couldn't afford it.

BTW...Wasn't the "remake" using Robin's Nest?...If so it doesn't portend well for its future.

Live free or die...
Don't tread on me...
Molon Labe...
Take your pick.

Posts: 1235 | Location: Not on Cape Cod. | Registered: December 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Chuck I apologize. Got the email notification about your reply while overseas. Clicked on it on my phone and responded without the entire story.

Sorry buddy.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1771 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post