Find
Notify
Tools

American Psycho Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Oh, my God. I'd forgotten how good this movie is, but it's making the rounds on The Movie Channel.

If you've not seen it, well, let's just say you'll never look at Huey Lewis the same way again.

BTW, nice axe!

So superficial, it's deep.

Posts: 107505 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Great flick. Even though I’ve heard there is little similarity, I still need to read the book.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ohh, that's a really good but, gruesome flick. Put Christian Bale on the map.

Early work with Reese Witherspoon, Jared Leto, Paul Theroux, and Josh Lucas

Ha! just looked up, Carruthers is played by Matt Ross, who played Gavin Belson in Silicone Valley Big Grin

Posts: 14636 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
That is a really great movie. Not only is it a very well done movie, but it also brings back lots of great memories of the 80s. Really great flick.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Christian Bale was was equal parts hilarious, psychotic and sad in that movie. I was an instant fan of his after I saw it.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This was my favorite movie for a couple years. I became a temporary Bret Easton Ellis fan because of it too. I watched three of the four movies (maybe all four, but can't say for sure on Less Than Zero), and read The Rules of Attraction. Tried to read American Psycho, but it was a bit much. I don't much care to read about hamsters being inserted into acid-eaten private parts of prostitutes. The Rules of Attraction was an enjoyable read, and I liked the movie too. American Psycho now strikes me as smut masquerading as sophisticated social commentary. Bret Easton Ellis is no-doubt a disturbed individual.

Edited to add that I do think the American Psycho film deserves applause for the actors' performances, and the film-makers' achievement.

Posts: 2135 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh, my God. It even has a watermark.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I like it a lot, have it on DVD.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
" Oh, my God. It even has a watermark."

A personal favorite of mine as well.

"I have to return some videotapes."

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I have read the book, but not seen the film. The book was...unpleasant to say the least. I have no desire to see the film.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Yeah, all of the business card bits are (chef's kiss).

That and Huey Lewis . And...

IIRC, Bale based his portrayal on aspects of Tom Cruise.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
I have read the book, but not seen the film. The book was...unpleasant to say the least. I have no desire to see the film.

Haven’t read the book, but I’ve read about it. To says they’re different would be an understatement. The film is much tamer, but I can understand not wanting to go through the material again.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
"I like that color"
"Thats BONE"

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Excellent analysis. Never ever would I have gotten the Sarte reference on my own. What I did get is that the movie is more an indictment of the superficial, self-absorbed culture in which Batemen lives. For instance, if you accept that he really did commit these murders, that means that the landlord/property agent cleaned up all the bodies in his apartment and failed to report the crime scene to authorities, so as to not forever taint the reputation of the property and therefore ruin its property value. Now that would be fucked up.

BTW, I just love the snooty director of tfe film that she "never intended for it to be a dream." Who in the fuck cares what you intended, lady? Look to the source novel, or did you write it, too?

Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Big fan of Bale. This one is my favorite. Really good cast. I wanted to kill Leto too Wink

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Allen: "No can do, I've got an 8:30 rez at Dorsia"
Bryce: "Dorsia, Friday night, jesus, how'd he pull that one off?"

NRA Life Member

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In that scene Bale reminded me of Jim Carrey. (as much as I can't stand him)

Great series.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Jim Carrey isn't a patch on Christian Bale's ass.

I realize you weren't praising Carrey. I just can't pass up a chance to stick my finger in that meddlesome jerk's eye.

Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
"Is that Ivanna Trump? Jesus, Patrick, I mean Marcus"

NRA Life Member

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post

I'm sure it's not everyone's thing but these guys do entire albums based on horror movies now.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post