Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good movies Login/Join 
posted
Any recommendations?

Posts: 245 | Location: Ventura, California | Registered: August 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I just finished watching Beautiful Creatures on HBO a few minutes ago. I guess it's directed toward the Twilight/Divergent/Hunger Games audience, but I thought it was way better than any of those other movies.
https://youtu.be/r9rjhB7KWEc

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
O Brother Where Art Thou?

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0011237/

The Golem and How He Came into the World.

It is a silent movie with the limits of the time period, but very watchable. The incidental music is appropriate but never too loud. Another quiet movie with a golem-like character is the original The Day the Earth Stood Still. TDTESS is a classic.

Forbidden Planet.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I just went though my entire Netflix history and pulled out the films that I remembered I enjoyed. An asterisk next to it means I consider it a must watch.

Pan's Labyrinth*
Departures
The Swedish version of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo*
The Sapphires
Hector and the Search for Happiness
Nowhere In Africa*
Burke and Hare(Be warned, there is a quite graphic scene with a corpse)
The Sicilian Girl
Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Tucker and Dale vs. Evil
Beneath Hill 60
The Way*
The Perfect Host
The Fighter*
The Art of Travel
Outsourced
For My Father*
Moon*
As Far as my Feet Will Carry Me*
The Wind That Shakes the Barley
Flame and Citron
Walk on Water
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Posts: 11158 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cooper2011:
Any recommendations?

What have you liked in the past?

Posts: 5583 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
The Big Lebowski

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
The Big Lebowski

This is a cult movie and is a must see. I'd add Pulp Fiction to the list as well.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Hell or High Water
Don't Breathe
You're Next
Cabin in the Woods
Drag Me to Hell
Hardcore Henry
Salt
Wanted
Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation
Edge of Tomorrow
Extreme Prejudice
Payback (1999)
Fright Night (2011)
Guardians of the Galaxy
Captain America The Winter Soldier
Deadpool
John Wick
The Accountant
Dirty Harry
Magnum Force
The Enforcer

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
HBO (or was it ShowTime) recently ran "A Serious Man" This was produced and directed by the Coens. Some pretty good entertainment right there.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post