SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    I've not seen The Godfather
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I've not seen The Godfather Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
[IMG][FLASH_VIDEO] <iframe width="725" height="408" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jh13Xd2loto" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> [/FLASH_VIDEO] Link to original video: https://youtu.be/jh13Xd2loto[/IMG]

Posts: 5775 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen them either. Only bits and pieces. I don't know why.
But there are a lot of movies members recommended that I haven't seen. It's a good list too.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3896 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Any of them.

Discuss.

How is that even possible? On the other hand, I have a girlfriend who has never seen Animal House.

It's possible... I haven't seen The Godfather either.
I did see Animal House, though, good gracious!

God bless America.

Posts: 13628 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ibexsig
posted Hide Post
For me, the great performance of Godfather II was John Cazale as poor Fredo. The scenes in Cuba he had with Pacino in which he knew he had betrayed the family yet still had to play the act of a loving brother are great.

What a film, the second one was superior to me because of what is not said about the betrayal and how it leaves it up to your imagination.

Posts: 317 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: January 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Any of them.

Discuss.
Neither have I. Discussion over.

Posts: 45445 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Regarding 3 -

By the time I got around to watching III my expectations were quite low because I had already been quite prejudiced against it based on conversation and threads like this.

My only problem with the film was the helicopter scene where they fired the machine guns into the meeting. It felt like a forced influence of the 80’s action flicks of the time.

I watched it twice, the first to ‘get through it’, then again to attempt to appreciate it. Much of what I think has been discussed here already, (seeing Michael confess the murder of his brother being amongst the most important).

What struck me, and I don’t think has been discussed in this thread yet:

I always believed that at some point Michael would reconcile with Kay and have at least a ‘friendly’ relationship with her. I enjoyed that.

Him experiencing the death of his daughter, because of the lifestyle he continued to live, reminded me of the pain The Don felt when Sonny was murdered. Michael’s pain had to have been worse though, as he cried out in anguish I choose to believe it was so much more than over the death of his daughter. He was overcome by the choices he made in his life. Michael wailed in pain for the loss of his brother Sonny, his father, Apalonia, Tom, Fredo’s betrayal, Fredo’s murder and of course his daughter. He realized at that very moment any future relationship with Kay was over as well. He would now forever be alone.

It was such a well acted scene, so powerful when you really think about what he was releasing in that moment.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12374 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I have not seen the trilogy either, only bits and pieces over the years. No immediate plans to change that fact. Italian mafia movies or mafia anything is not really in my wheelhouse.

Posts: 3207 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ke Bo Li:
These things happen
I myself have never seen any of the Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings movies.

This is me too!

Posts: 3525 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
I don't consider these movies to be mob movies. They are movies about family. The family business just happens to be the mob.

True character development. This is now a lost art in Hollywood.

Yes, I and II are probably my favorite movies.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6162 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
They are movies about family. The family business just happens to be the mob.

I would say that they are about family-- and corruption. After Vito kills Don Ciccio, he then goes home, picks up his baby son Michael, and tells him "Michael, your father loves you... loves you so much." So, it's all for family, all for love.

But it changes. Before long it becomes, "This is not personal. It's just business."

All for family-- and the great irony is that the loving family-- pursuing business with the cold ethic of the American corporation-- "It's not personal"-- is destroyed.

Everything is personal. Just look at that clip of Michael at the end of the movie, that suffocated scream.

It's all personal.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11143 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post