SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Pew ! , John wayne ( twilite zone) western movies , horrible
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pew ! , John wayne ( twilite zone) western movies , horrible Login/Join 
posted
Three movies w/ J.W. last night on grit tv channel.
Sagebrush trail, Blue steel and west of the divide.

All three looked as though the went out and shot footage w/o the audio guy,
then went back ( in studio) to over dub the script in a phone booth,
then! they went to the foly guy for the horse hooves gun shots and glass breaking.
then !
and all of the music was the same sound track , more or less

Had never seen these before , too terrible to watch

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54648 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A classic

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a clip of the stunts in the picture:

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"B" Westerns produced by studios with little budget during the Depression, and the World War II years are a genre of their own. I own a DVD set of about 100 of them (some are decent shape, others not so much). JW did his own stuntwork in many of them, tried his hand at being a singing cowboy in another. These films also gave us Bob Steele, Tom Tyler, Tex Ritter, Roy Rogers, many others before they got a break with good studios.

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John Wayne did a bunch of those B westerns in the 1930's. Sure, they're pretty generic with the same plots, same background footage, etc. Depression era Saturday afternoon at the movies for some fun and escapism.

His first scene in Stagecoach, the closeup of his face while waiting for the approaching stagecoach, made him a star.

Posts: 238 | Registered: March 11, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yeah after going through the great depression , I suppose that they were considered to be fabulous

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54648 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Duke Wayne spent his time on film's Poverty Row before John Ford made him a star. All those early Westerns he made before 1939- with one exception- were intended for the Saturday matinee kiddie crowd.

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
...with one exception-

My guess is this one, Wayne's very first starring role. I don't remember ever seeing a 70mm widescreen film from this early age. And 3 hours long Eek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fVXWUIcvHc

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16706 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
JW did a lot of 'contract acting' early on. You do what you do to pay the bills.

True fact, John Wayne did a cameo on the Beverly Hillbillies episode 'The Indians are Coming'. At this time he was wealthy enough that if you drank bourbon on his yacht then he iced the pour with chips of alaskan glacier ice. When the producers of BH asked JW for his desired payment he replied 'Give me a fithh of bourbon, that'll square it". I used that as a sig line for a while.

Also, JW was buried in an unmarked grave for twenty years. It was feared that anti-war protesters would vandalize his grave. The epitaph has been extracted from his Playboy interview.

The movie Green Berets features an exposition by Mr. Wayne that if GDCs take over Vietnam then the GDCs will kill every person of educated status. At the time this was ridiculed but events in VN, and Cambodia proved him right.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post