SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Favorite back-and-white cinematography
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite back-and-white cinematography Login/Join 
posted
Just finished watching Casablanca for the plentieth time, and was reminded of how much I love good b&w cinematography (most of the last fifteen minutes or so are splendid). Movies that were made in black-and-white and were more than just the recording of the story on film. Movies (or scenes, or still shots) that display the range and the drama and the elegance (and eloquence!) that black-and-white film has to offer. Other examples that quickly come to mind would include The Third Man, Shanghai Express, Citizen Kane, Double Indemnity, The Seventh Seal, The Letter, I Know Where I'm Going, and Manhattan. There are countless others. What are some of your favorites? Movies, scenes, or just establishing shots?

Posts: 2686 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Just passing through, a couple quick thoughts --

Dr. Strangelove
Paper Moon

I'll be back.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8307 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my favorites has been:
The Oxbow Incident.
The lighting and photography help to set the grim tone of the hanging.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15998 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dr Stangelove
Casablanca

We the unappreciated
must do the unimaginable
and see the unthinkable
to protect the ungrateful

Posts: 801 | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Carl Theodor Dreyer: filmography

Yasujiro Ozu: filmography

Andrei Tarkovsky: filmography

Kenji Mizoguchi: filmography

Robert Bresson: filmography

Paweł Pawlikowski: Ida (2013), Cold War (2018) < actually a 2019 U.S. release

Satyajit Ray: filmography

Sergei Eisenstein: filmography

Michael Haneke: mixed bag of stellar b&w to color: filmography

Akira Kurosawa (of course): filmography

Q: which one should i watch?

A: all of them.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Too many really. But today, off the top of my head, I'll stick to Welles films. Citizen Kane, of course. Magnificent Ambersons. Also The Trial with Anthony Perkins. Nevermind B&W, the cinematography and lighting in that film were very inventive.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16611 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Too many really. But today, off the top of my head, I'll stick to Welles films. Citizen Kane...
lots of ppl don't get citizen kane. i didn't. one way is to check if your library's dvd has Roger Ebert's commentary. if you're in any way interested, you'll be glad you did.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Just to be different, I’ll say The Last Picture Show

Posts: 13162 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
M (1931)
Psycho (1960)
In Cold Blood (1967)
Der Blaue Engel (1930)

Posts: 8307 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Odd Man Out".

"Magnificent Ambersons".

"The Dawn Patrol" (1938)

"Manhattan".

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I’ll go with Eisenstein:
Battleship Potemkin
Alexander Nevsky

I recall a number of B & W Soviet films with striking cinematography. The brightest went into art, music, science, chess.

Posts: 18011 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7629 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Nobody has mentioned Frank Capra. He was no slouch; checkout the lighting here:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/L1GLW3lU_GE

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15470 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
The Thin Man

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
I love the horror:

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)
The Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
The Innocents (1961)
The Haunting (1963)
Frankenweenie (2012) Big Grin

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
FWIW It's hard to separate cinematography from set design, lighting, makeup and what's actually in front of the camera, they work as one to create the image. Sometimes the camera has to move, other times it must not. Selective focus, film stock and lenses chosen, video processing, yikes, a complicated topic.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
FWIW It's hard to separate cinematography from set design, lighting, makeup and what's actually in front of the camera, they work as one to create the image. Sometimes the camera has to move, other times it must not. Selective focus, film stock and lenses chosen, video processing, yikes, a complicated topic.

Well, I'm not trying to get too technical, nor to isolate various elements. I'm using it in the broad sense of what you see on the screen. Besides, I think most of the elements you list would be included in the definition. But that's not what I started this thread to discuss; I was looking for other people's favorite examples of black-and-white images onscreen. Not their favorite movies that happen to be in b&w, but films that show good use of the medium.

Posts: 2686 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amals:
..the broad sense of what you see on the screen.

Yes, and the choice to use B&W defines the movie, with all that goes into creating the images.

I'm reminded of the recent stink over the Oscars choosing not to air the cinematography awards as well as other technical categories. It looks like AMPAS thinks it all comes down to the personalities.

BTW with the great examples in your opening post, "Citizen Kane" used the camera in new ways and set a higher bar.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Too many excellent choices, but off the top of my head, anything by the master himself, John Alton. Take a look at a little B-picture called He Walked by Night. Gorgeous.

http://www.waitsel.com/moviearticles/Film_Noir.html

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107239 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post