New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sam Rockwell Login/Join 
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted
Sam Rockwell seems to get a lot of praise for his work, and even recently received an Oscar for 3 Billboards. I've not been overly impressed myself, but out of curiosity went looking to see which films are considered to be his best work. Not only have I not seen much of it, I haven't even heard of a lot of them. Do we really like this guy? Is it worth the effort to seek them out?

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, I first took note of Rockwell in The Green Mile. He made an impression with that performance.

I liked him in Confessions of a Dangerous Mind and in Moon (where he was the whole show), and as Charley Ford in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

A smaller part, but well-done IMO.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
for me he is one of those actors, that just does a damn good job in just about everything he does,

Green Mile, as mentioned,
I watched Moon, and loved it, based on suggestions here,

I even thought he was a good Zaphod in Hitchhikers Guide (good, but flawed, movie)

he is one of those guys that when I catch a movie on cable that I have seen umpteen times, and suddenly there he is , and I go damn, forget he was in this one,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I think he is excellent. Moon, for example, was great and basically carried entirely by him.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
IMO he never stands out and that might be a big part of his charm.
I can think of older actors whose most distinctive quality is that they're naturally Human and easy to identify with. He is, to me, one of those from a newer generation.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Check him out in the movie Choke. It’s bizarre but a good time (same writer as Fight Club).

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I first noticed Rockwell in Galaxy Quest, I thought he did a very good job in that movie. Based on the few other films I have seen, he is a very good actor, seems to have a bit more range than some other Hollywood stars.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed him in Confessions of a Dangerous Mind.

He was also pretty good in Seven Psychopaths.

I generally enjoy his work, and always am on the lookout for the scenes where he gets to dance Cool

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rockwell is one of those actors who's made his bones on the indy circuit while still catching parts in big studio productions; similar to Parker Posey. I've enjoyed most of his roles, usually plays meek or, weaselly charters best. Interestingly, we both attended the same high school at the same time however he was in Urban Pioneers, basically Caucasian delinquents learn to camp program because they have a hard time learning anything else.

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gvj8ZEnNrQY

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I liked his role in Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. His character is what I remember most about that movie.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
Sam Rockwell seems to get a lot of praise for his work. I've not been overly impressed myself. Is it worth the effort to seek them out?

I like Sam Rockwell. He's good at his craft. I enjoy his work, but I've never been blown away by any of his performances. I'll say that he is not worth making an actual effort to seek out his work, but if he pops up in something you happen to be watching, he'll deliver the goods.

For me, life is too short to seek out Sam Rockwell performances. Seeking out performances by Kate Winslet, Saoirse Ronan, Natalie Portman, and Julianne Moore keep me way too busy as it is! Big Grin

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He seems to go for less mainstream movies and roles. He was good in 3 Billboards.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I like him a lot, I still need to watch Moon.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
The wife and I enjoy him in Mr. Right with Anna Kendrick. Kind of a corny, hitman love story but funny nonetheless.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1851 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
The Best of Enemies is scheduled to hit theaters on April 4th. Sam plays the role of C.P. Ellis, Exalted Cyclops of the Ku Klux Klan ,set in 1971 Durham, North Carolina Best of Enemies

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Moon is a great movie. It's a little weird but it's very well done and Sam Rockwell is great in it as basically the only character.

quote:
Originally posted by whododat:
The wife and I enjoy him in Mr. Right with Anna Kendrick. Kind of a corny, hitman love story but funny nonetheless.

Mr. Right got terrible reviews, but I thought it was pretty entertaining.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
Mr. Right got terrible reviews, but I thought it was pretty entertaining.

Underrated, and... Anna Kendrick.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Way, Way Back is a great movie, and Rockwell’s performance reminds me a bit of Bill Murray’s in Meatballs, though TWWB is a much better film.

Posts: 251 | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post