SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    "Dark" on Netflix
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Dark" on Netflix Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
Netflix has been killing it with their German shows lately. First, it was Generation War, kind of a "Band of Brothers" from the German perspective. Next was Babylon Berlin, a 1920s historically-grounded cop show which I think is one of the best shows on Netflix. Now, I recently started Dark and am really impressed.

Understand that Dark takes a minute to hook you. You'll spend the first few episodes trying to figure out just what exactly is going on, and who is who, but once the pieces start to click and the hook is set, hang on... You're in for a wild ride. I don't want to spoil anything, so I won't go into details on the plot, other than to say it's a little like a more serious Stranger Things, with more focus on adults and older teens, and more mature content.

This is not a casual "background noise" show. You have to pay attention, not only because of the subtitles, but also because of the plot twists and turns, hints, and foreshadowing. This is a "weekend afternoon with my full attention" kind of show, not a "catch an episode at bedtime while nodding off" show.

But it's well worth it.

Season 3 just dropped yesterday, so there are three full seasons to binge, if you're so inclined.

Posts: 32503 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Netflix seriously has a lot of foreign content. I hate wading through it because some of it is awful. Thanks for these though.

Posts: 7469 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I've been trying to get into this show, but just can't seem to do it.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Once you get to the 3rd episode or so, things start to click. I was lukewarm on it for the first couple.

It does drag a little in a few spots, like the very first part of Season 1, and the middle of Season 3. But it's worth sticking with.

(You also have to be okay with subtitles... I know some people claim they just can't do it, but that unfortunately means they're missing out on a huge variety of fantastic non-English shows/movies.)

Posts: 32503 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I was on vacation so it took me a bit, but I just finished season 1. you're right, once you get hooked it's a great show.

Also helped once I got a grasp of who was who in the different time periods.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
Also helped once I got a grasp of who was who in the different time periods.

Yep. I think as the series went on, they did a good job of repeatedly reinforcing that to help viewers keep it straight, with the split-screen comparisons, photo clusters on bunker walls, continually referencing the character names, etc.

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I just heard about this. Think I'll be giving it a try.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38672 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
This is a show that's on my list. Haven't started it yet.

Posts: 7523 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Watch it complete awake or completely hammered. It takes some thought to wrap your head around it , especially towards the end.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17276 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Just watched the first Generation War episode and it was pretty good.
A much different perspective, for sure.

Posts: 9499 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post