SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Witcher On Netflix
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Witcher On Netflix Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Are the Books for The Witcher very good? I assume they go in the order of publication?

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I read all the books, the first couple are pretty good. As they go on I felt they lost something. I didn’t really care for the ending.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Are the Books for The Witcher very good?

Pretty good. Not perfect, but well worth reading if you enjoy The Witcher games/show, or gritty fantasy in general. The audiobooks are very well done too.

quote:
I assume they go in the order of publication?

Not quite. The Last Wish was published second, but chronologically is first. And the English translations were published in a different order than the original Polish books, further muddying the waters of "order of publication". Plus, the most recently released entry, Season of Storms, is mostly set within the events of The Last Wish, the first book chronologically.

Here's the intended reading order:
The Last Wish
Sword of Destiny
Blood of Elves
Time of Contempt
Baptism of Fire
The Tower of the Swallow
The Lady of the Lake
Season of Storms*

The first two books, Last Wish and Sword of Destiny, are short story collections not novels. These short stories lay the foundation for the setting and introduce the main characters for the Witcher Saga - Geralt, Dandelion, Triss, Yennifer, Ciri, etc. The Witcher Saga series of novels, with the overarcing plot involving Geralt and Ciri, is the subsequent 5 novels from Blood of Elves through Lady of the Lake.

*Season of Storms is another short story collection, whose stories are chronologically set within those of The Last Wish. But you will want to wait until you've read the rest of the series before reading it. You may not understand all of it or catch all the references if you read it in its true chronological place after Last Wish, without the backstory provided by the other books. And it contains some stuff that could be considered spoilers for later events in the series. Plus it contains an epilogue that's set well after the entire Witcher series ends.

So on your first read-through, I'd save Season of Storms for last, but in subsequent read-throughs, you might read it second, after Last Wish.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post