SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    New Top Gear (BBC)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Top Gear (BBC) Login/Join 
Picture of dgrdvm
posted
Any one watching the new version of BBC Top Gear ? I had zero expectations after the debacle last season but I am pleasantly surprised with the rapport Leblanc and the 2 new guys have. Not like the old show but at least watchable. Extra Gear seems worthless though.

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that'
George Carlin

Posts: 504 | Location: St Louis | Registered: June 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
It's dead to me. Never again.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
It gets worse. While this might work out to be a decent replacement for Fifth Gear, they're also redoing Top Gear USA.

http://jalopnik.com/top-gear-a...ree-hosts-1793443905

TL;DR: Hosts are actor William Fichtner, UK Car guy/Fifth Gear co-host Tom Ford, and Top Fuel Drag Racing Champ Antron Brown. HQ will be set a Speed Vegas and they'll be using their 1.5 mile track.

Posts: 4153 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Pisses me off that they are bringing back USA with new people. The other hosts were just hitting their stride when the morons canceled it. Same thing will likely happen this time.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Nope.....Amazon and Netflix have reruns.

And the better Grand Tour ain't as good either, watchable yes but not the same

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am enjoying the new season of Top Gear. They seem to be hitting it off quite well. While it is not the old gang, time will treat the current group well if no one's head gets too big for their britches.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Meh. But, that Alpha Romeo Guilia has me hooked. I had sworn off new cars at my age. I might have to make an exception for that Italian.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
OK, having seen I think five episodes of this season's Top Gear, and maybe three or four of The Grand Tour...I have to say...I vastly prefer the NEW Top Gear team and show.
The GT guys in my opinion have jumped the shark; pitching the tent different places around the world, then showing videos having nothing to do with that country...really it's not even a car show any more. They have taken the part that added charm to their car show and made the whole show revolve around their trash talk. It's like trying to make a whole meal of a great appetizer like calamari...makes you sick!

Interested in other opinions!

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I, like many, don't watch it for the cars. But then I started watching TG only after having seen both May and Hammond do other projects.

Posts: 21092 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
This season has been a vast improvement over last season. LeBlanc, Harris, & Reid are meshing well together, though a good half of that finale was a bit of a snoozer. The boat bits were pretty entertaining.

IMO, Jordan has to go, not a fan.

I'll give the revamped TG:US a shot, may be better than expected.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15254 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
OK, having seen I think five episodes of this season's Top Gear, and maybe three or four of The Grand Tour...I have to say...I vastly prefer the NEW Top Gear team and show.
The GT guys in my opinion have jumped the shark; pitching the tent different places around the world, then showing videos having nothing to do with that country...really it's not even a car show any more. They have taken the part that added charm to their car show and made the whole show revolve around their trash talk. It's like trying to make a whole meal of a great appetizer like calamari...makes you sick!

Interested in other opinions!

If you only saw three or four episodes of the Grand Tour then you missed a ton. I won't be watching any of the new Top Gear. It's The Grand Tour for me.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30398 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Watched much of the season, it's not bad, just different people doing the same bits, nothing new, the photography/cinematography is still good.

Posts: 23371 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
OK, I dredged this up from about a year ago, just to say that THIS episode (3/11/18) of Top Gear--with Rory, Chris, and Matt in Japan--is one of the bestest ever! What a scream!

I got a friend at church to start watching GT, now I need to get him to watch TG--THEN get him to go with me to Vegas and drive some hot, hot, hot cars on the track! Wife didn't bat an eyelash when I told her my plan...just wanted to know how much...I said couple hundred to a couple grand....after all she bought me a day driving Audi R8's at Sonoma Raceway....

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Nope. Host chemistry is awful.

Hammond, Clarkson and May are even struggling through the second season of the Grand Tour.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjkroll32:
Nope. Host chemistry is awful.

Hammond, Clarkson and May are even struggling through the second season of the Grand Tour.

The 2nd season of the Grand Tour was great. We must be watching two different shows.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30398 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
The second season of The Grand Tour was excellent.

Top Gear got better last season, but it still isn't as good as it was, nor is it as good as TGT.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The latest season of Top Gear is better. LeBlanc and Harris know cars, especially Harris. BBC is pouring in their resources with regards to set, locations, and of course camera and post-production work. Rory is pretty benign and Sabine I'm ok with.

TGT is still a work in-progress, the biggest strength is the chemistry of the hosts, which helps mask the short-comings that Amazon has; nevertheless the second season is much better than the first, and I expect the third to be an equal improvement. Location filming, camera work, some of the post-production work can't match what BBC has, however host personalities and chemistry helps smooth those things over.

Latest news is the TGT contract with Amazon runs-out after the third season and a renewal hasn't been put forth and, Clarkson has taken up hosting duties of the UK version of Who Want's to be a Millionaire?. I doubt TGT is going away, Amazon is making too much money off of them and will likely submit a new contract rather than a renewal.
https://jalopnik.com/report-am...fter-seas-1823681326

This message has been edited. Last edited by: corsair,

Posts: 14632 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Meh, also. Watched the original Top Gear for many years as well as my kids.

Been watching The Grand Tour and enjoying it. Hard to match the chemistry of the Hamster, Captain Slow and The Orangutan.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Update: 2:32 p.m. EST: Amazon declined to officially comment, but a source within the company indicated that this rumor might be baseless after all.

Link