SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Last King of Scotland
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
The Last King of Scotland Login/Join 
Member
Picture of FLKev
posted
I watched this movie years ago when it came out and I remember thinking how Forrest Whittaker actually looked exactly like Idi Amin and how amazingly real this movie felt while watching it.

I decided to watch it again last night and WoW. It was actually better than I remembered. Much better than his worst film...Ghost Dog - The Way of The Samurai.

If want to laugh your ass off watch Ghost Dog. I know he practiced martial arts while he was fat Forrest Whittaker but NO, NO, NO Forrest!

Watch The Last King of Scotland if you haven't.




"It's gon' be some slow singing -n- flower bringing............ if my burglar alarm starts ringing"


 
Posts: 596 | Location: GATORLAND | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FLKev:
...his worst film...Ghost Dog - The Way of The Samurai.
Umm, no.

 
Posts: 107850 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
He was good in The Crying Game.


End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
 
Posts: 16161 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FLKev:
I watched this movie years ago when it came out and I remember thinking how Forrest Whittaker actually looked exactly like Idi Amin and how amazingly real this movie felt while watching it.

I decided to watch it again last night and WoW. It was actually better than I remembered. Much better than his worst film...Ghost Dog - The Way of The Samurai.

If want to laugh your ass off watch Ghost Dog. I know he practiced martial arts while he was fat Forrest Whittaker but NO, NO, NO Forrest!

Watch The Last King of Scotland if you haven't.


Loved Ghost Dog, loved it. The mafia scene with the Italian trying to sing Public Enemy was LMAO turf.



What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone
 
Posts: 12682 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of FLKev
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by FLKev:
...his worst film...Ghost Dog - The Way of The Samurai.
Umm, no.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="540" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4TbqP1SfTME" title="Battlefield Earth meeting scene" width="960"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]


HAHA You got me Boss! He looks ridiculous in this!




"It's gon' be some slow singing -n- flower bringing............ if my burglar alarm starts ringing"


 
Posts: 596 | Location: GATORLAND | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Ghost Dog is a Jim Jarmusch film and therefore not meant to be taken seriously. There is a degree of surrealism present in most of his films.

If you laugh at this film, the director has accomplished his mission. It's supposed to be fun, and it is.

Ghost Dog has a couple of references to Branded to Kill; the shooting through the sink drain and a bird landing on the muzzle of the assassin's rifle (in Branded to Kill it was a butterfly.)

Every time a character is shown watching TV, a cartoon is shown and the cartoon prefigures events in later scenes.

It's a clever film which Jarmusch wrote specifically for Forrest Whitaker. Not only would I not call it Whitaker's worst, I'd say it's probably his most entertaining role.
 
Posts: 107850 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of FLKev
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Ghost Dog is a Jim Jarmusch film and therefore not meant to be taken seriously. There is a degree of surrealism present in most of his films.

If you laugh at this film, the director has accomplished his mission. It's supposed to be fun, and it is.

Ghost Dog has a couple of references to Branded to Kill; the shooting through the sink drain and a bird landing on the muzzle of the assassin's rifle (in Branded to Kill it was a butterfly.)

Every time a character is shown watching TV, a cartoon is shown and the cartoon prefigures events in later scenes.

It's a clever film which Jarmusch wrote specifically for Forrest Whitaker. Not only would I not call it Whitaker's worst, I'd say it's probably his most entertaining role.


It definitely achieved the goal of making me laugh. I was poking fun at how ridiculous he looked more than analyzing the film itself. The film was good and it was entertaining but he looked ridiculous. I called it his worst because of this.




"It's gon' be some slow singing -n- flower bringing............ if my burglar alarm starts ringing"


 
Posts: 596 | Location: GATORLAND | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
Ghost Dog introduced me to Hagakure: The Book of the Samurai. The "There is something to be learned from a rainstorm..." passage quoted in the movie vividly encapsulated for me the concept of mindfulness.
 
Posts: 1271 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Last King of Scotland

© SIGforum 2024