SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Paris, Texas (the movie)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paris, Texas (the movie) Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I watched Wise Blood. For me, it was kinda like watching a train wreck, repulsive, yet I couldn’t turn away. All the performances were incredible. The story and setting were so alien to me that I couldn’t not watch. I may even watch it again.

Posts: 13263 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
I always thought Straight Time was one of Hoffman's better performances.
Definitely one of his better roles. It's a pity this film is aired so infrequently.

Of course Stanton gives a solid, believable performance in Straight Time.

I find it a hard film to watch. I had to turn it off several times because it's so sad. I do like looking at an angelic twenty year old Theresa Russell, though. Directed by Ulu Grosbard, a Belgian. He directed very few films. His next film after Straight Time is another favorite of mine- 1981's True Confessions, loosely based upon the 1947 "Black Dahlia" case, with Robert DeNiro and Robert Duvall.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107604 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
I finally watched Paris, Texas.

Harry Dean Stanton and Nastassja Kinski? There's a film couple I wouldn't have come up with in 100 years.

The acting, camerawork, and art direction are outstanding. Story-wise, it felt to me like the movie version of those plastic spiral wishing wells where the coin rolls along the funnel in tighter and tighter circles until it falls into the donation bucket.

When Act III hits, things get a little more conventional, and I found myself a little less involved. In that way, I think I preferred Wenders's Alice in the Cities or maybe Kings of the Road to this. I felt a little unease at the ending, just because Dean Stockwell's and poor Aurore Clément's story arc is left hanging.

Some other things struck me. When Stanton asks Clément what the date is, she answers that it's November 1st. So, the previous night was Halloween and nobody celebrated? That kinda sucks for little Hunter Carson's character. And, when Carson is left alone in the hotel at the end, he doesn't turn on the TV for entertainment? Fascinating!

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
I always thought Straight Time was one of Hoffman's better performances.
Definitely one of his better roles. It's a pity this film is aired so infrequently.

Of course Stanton gives a solid, believable performance in Straight Time.

I find it a hard film to watch. I had to turn it off several times because it's so sad. I do like looking at an angelic twenty year old Theresa Russell, though. Directed by Ulu Grosbard, a Belgian. He directed very few films. His next film after Straight Time is another favorite of mine- 1981's True Confessions, loosely based upon the 1947 "Black Dahlia" case, with Robert DeNiro and Robert Duvall.

Watched it today. Thanks, para. Great film

Posts: 13263 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post