SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The return of the best show for cooks, ever
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The return of the best show for cooks, ever Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
He's no Bobby Flay but ought to be good.

Flay is a has-been who's 15-minutes of fame burned-out 10-years ago. While at one time he got a Michelin star and James Beard award, those are far distant memories. His lasting legacy is being a smarmy ass, having secured the friendship of a handful of private equity douchebags that he met while working on Wall St. to help fund his shitty restaurants while schmoozing his way to Food Network executive golf trips. There's plenty of shit-bags in the cooking world, from Mario Batali and Tyler Florence to Martha Stewart and Gabrielle Hamilton, Flay however takes the top prize as not only is his cooking accuman marginal but, he's a world class donkey.

Posts: 14636 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I have a fascination with science and a love for cooking. His shows are always entertaining!

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We use his turkey recipe every year. It's the best one i've tried. I love watching his shoe.

Posts: 728 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
Alton unlocked the secret of Gyro meat to me and I’ve been grateful ever since. Big Grin

He’s a nice guy too. I’ve related the story of meeting him in a local gun store multiple times, super cool dude.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
Been a fan of Alton since the late 90's. Food Network used to be a lot better back then, with him and Emeril kicking it up a notch. I am really looking forward to the new series. I have enjoyed watching his "rebooted" Good Eats episodes as well.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 985 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Flay is a has-been who's 15-minutes of fame burned-out 10-years ago.

I got really excited when I saw there was a show called "Beat Bobby Flay".
Then I got really disappointed.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
BEST NEWS EVER!!!!!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1952 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:

Flay is a has-been who's 15-minutes of fame burned-out 10-years ago. While at one time he got a Michelin star and James Beard award, those are far distant memories. His lasting legacy is being a smarmy ass, having secured the friendship of a handful of private equity douchebags that he met while working on Wall St. to help fund his shitty restaurants while schmoozing his way to Food Network executive golf trips. There's plenty of shit-bags in the cooking world, from Mario Batali and Tyler Florence to Martha Stewart and Gabrielle Hamilton, Flay however takes the top prize as not only is his cooking accuman marginal but, he's a world class donkey.

thread drift,,

what did Florence do?

I enjoyed his shows as well, but do not keep up with the backstories on the chef's

(I also like Malto Mario, and did hear about his drama and issues)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Glad Alton Brown is back on. I have missed his show being on.
I DVR'd his first two shows and just watched them and they were great as always.

Bobby flay is a complete jack-ass that I cannot stand to watch.

Posts: 18033 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Surely, you jest.

I've been watching Beat Bobby Flay and it's so frustrating, because no one in all of the show has ever laid a hand on that conceited douchebag. They're takin' forever to get to it and I'm just about fed up (pun intended). Kick his ass already!

The wife and I have a running joke from something you said a while back about that show. I tell her "I really think the winner should get to BEAT Bobby Flay with a 2x4!"

That show is SO rigged. I met him in 1997 while in culinary school and he was a conceited douche then just as he was taking off so I can only imagine what he's like now. Eek

Posts: 33773 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I seldom watch food programs, but I never miss "Tokyo Cuisine" with Rika on PBS.

I don't care what she's cooking...I just watch Rika Yukimasa.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
thread drift,,

what did Florence do?

I enjoyed his shows as well, but do not keep up with the backstories on the chef's

(I also like Malto Mario, and did hear about his drama and issues)

Florence is a decent cook however his good looks got him in the door at Food Network, as his popularity grew, his social standing amongst chefs changed as he was mission focused to hang-out and become a celebrity. His partnernship with Applebee's earned him the scorn of chefs around the industry. Business ventures with various celebrities formed and failed, mainly around the SF Bay Area (Marin) where he makes his home.

Batali's issues are well documented and all came to light during the whole MeToo 'movement'. Amongst female waitstaff around NYC, Batali was known as 'The Red Menace'. Eek

Posts: 14636 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
I'm watching episode 1 now and it's as good as I had hoped. AB is my favorite TV chef, by far.

As far as Batali, I used to watch his show on Food Network, but his recipes were too complicated and ingredients too exotic. I didn't know until much later what a flaming leftist and sexual predator he was. You never know about people.

While we are on the subject, Ina Garten is a pompous ass. After she snubbed the Make-a-wish kid that had leukemia, twice, she lost my interest.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 985 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wxdave:
I'm watching episode 1 now and it's as good as I had hoped. AB is my favorite TV chef, by far.

As far as Batali, I used to watch his show on Food Network, but his recipes were too complicated and ingredients too exotic. I didn't know until much later what a flaming leftist and sexual predator he was. You never know about people.

While we are on the subject, Ina Garten is a pompous ass. After she snubbed the Make-a-wish kid that had leukemia, twice, she lost my interest.

I went to a seminar of sorts that Ina Garten was in,

one lady show, so to speak,

some uppity lady came out, talked about Ina like she was the second coming, then Ina came out and spoke/was interviewed by this person for a bit over an hour,

thankfully, my ticket was gifted to me, so I just wasted my time, not my cash,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alton Brown Gave Everything He Had for ‘Good Eats: The Return’
quote:
After a seven-year hiatus, Alton Brown is back making new episodes of Good Eats, the Food Network show that catapulted him to stardom two decades ago.

While the series hasn’t changed much in terms of the general style and format since the last season aired in 2012, Good Eats: The Return, as it’s called, does feature a whole new set of recipes, plus some filmmaking flourishes that reflect Brown’s ever-evolving tastes in movies and TV. “After this many years, if I’m going to take another shot at this, I better do it right, because I probably won’t get another chance,” Brown recently told Eater. As always, Brown is the writer/producer/star/director of Good Eats, and some members of his crew have been working with the Food Network icon since the very first episode of his show. The first pair of episodes premiered on Sunday night, and fresh cuts will keep airing weekly into the fall.

During the last week of shooting, Brown took a break to chat with Eater about how he comes up with new Good Eats episodes, his filmmaking influences this time around, and the art of making a complicated process look simple.

What are you fired up about this time around, recipe-wise or innovation-wise?
Alton Brown: That’s a multi-faceted question. It’s a food show, so everybody always want to know about recipes, but we don’t consider ourselves a cooking show. We look at every one of these shows as a short movie about food, and they all have themes. Food hasn’t changed that much — it has in that we can certainly use ingredients now that we couldn’t use even a few years ago, because the internet has made so many things available that people just couldn’t get before, so that’s been a game-changer. But the real big change for us has been the shooting technology, the production tools that I’m kind of fully abusing now. The show is much more visually rich and complex from a story standpoint. My crew likes to say that I “hand-carve snow flakes for a living,” and that has certainly been the case this season. I’m very excited about the show, just from a production standpoint.

From a food standpoint, we’ve been able to tackle some things that I had always wanted to do or was waiting to do. For instance, we’re doing an immersion circulator show, and I couldn’t do that even six years ago, because the machines were really quite expensive back then. Now they’re a lot more reasonable, so I can deal with things like that. Also there are some things that a few years ago, no one was really interested in — sourdough starters, for instance. Now a lot of folks are interested in them, so we’re doing a post-apocalyptic sourdough episode. And then we’re tackling some American classics, like chicken parmesan and ice box cake. We’re doing a one-hour turkey special, and we’re doing shakshuka, which a few years ago we probably couldn’t have gotten away with because not enough people could get some of the ingredients that would go into that.

I think the food landscape has changed a great deal, and that is one of the things that’s enabling us to take on the stories that we’re doing. A lot of people are just more aware of things, too. We’re doing a show on ancient grains, and a few years ago people were like, “What the hell are these?”

When you’re putting together the show, do you decide to base an episode on foods like sourdough starters or ancient grains because you perceive that there is a public interest there?
No, I never think that. I actually never, ever, ever think that. These are all things that I was interested in years ago, they just weren’t ready for primetime. I don’t want to make shows that people aren’t going to watch. These were mostly subjects that I had shelved for that very reason. But I never come at it from [the angle of], “Wow, this is hot! Let’s do it!” I just make the shows that I want to make and hope that people watch them.

As a home cook and food enthusiast, has your interest grown in any particular way since the last time you were making Good Eats?
My interest in food continues. It’s a source of infinite connectivity to the world and to culture. But in the end, if it’s going to make it on Good Eats, it has to be a story. You can’t taste the TV screen. We work very hard to make sure that not only is the food good, but that the recipes are designed in such a way that people can make good food out of it. But what I’m really after, as a filmmaker, is to make really good half-hour stories about food. And at the end of the day, the food better, by golly, taste good. But my interests in food are constantly shifting.

What are your main film influences this time around? And are you going to be doing any homages?
I’m like a rolling piece of Velcro — I pick up a lot of things — and any given show might have a scene that’s an homage to something. For instance, we riff often on Monty Python. The only thing that’s funny about that now is that so many young people who watch the show don’t know the original skits that we’re riffing on. So if I have a bunch of guys come busting in saying, “No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!” A lot of people now go, “Wow, I don’t know what that’s about.” We have an entire show — the shakshuka show, in fact — where we riff hard on the movie Casablanca, but it’s actually shot in Academy aspect ratio, in black and white.

I will say that because I’m now composing more and more for people who are watching on phones and tablets, I’m a lot more graphic. And I don’t mean graphics, as in text, but graphic as in compositions, and I tend toward a lot more symmetry. I guess I would have to give a nod to Wes Anderson for that, but I’m as much a fan of early Orson Welles as I am of him. But I think everything I see, I pick up something from, and I started to cut a little bit differently and have swiped some styles from the BBC for that — for instance, Fleabag. I’ve also lifted from What We Do in the Shadows. But it’s not just lifting and stealing, but being influenced by [these shows] and saying, “That looks fun, let’s do this.” So if you’re a TV fan or a cinephile, I think you’ll find a lot of inside giggles when you watch the show.

We’ve also worked hard to create a visual style that, frankly, nobody else is doing. We have a rule on the show where every day, we have to do a shot that we’ve never done before. For instance, we’ve got a shot in a Renaissance festival that involves a dolly mounted on top of a dolly pushing another dolly on which another dolly was mounted. So 58 wheels were moving in one shot in order to get the camera to go where I wanted it to go. Luckily, because I own the production company, I can decide which days I lose money, and so that’s what I’ve decided to do this time.

This is a love letter, this is the best I can do. These 13 shows, if I die tomorrow — well, I still have to shoot tomorrow — but if I die as soon as post is done, then I’d be able to say, “Yeah, that’s the best.”

What is your favorite thing that you’ve filmed? And what do you think will either take off or surprise viewers this time around?
I think longtime viewers are going to get what they’ve always gotten and liked, which is that we try to eliminate the “why” and the “how” of the things that are going on in the kitchen. And I’m very fortunate that I was finally able to afford a real science officer. I’m working with someone who is a real food scientist named Dr. Arielle Johnson, who helped Noma do their fermentation program. Now I can push harder, because I know that my brain will only go so far. I don’t have a degree in science. I’ve read a lot, I’ve studied a lot. But at the end of the day, when you’ve got a PHD in flavor science, you’re a pretty strong force. So now we’re able to go a little deeper into science, for those who want to do it. But even if you don’t — if you just want to have a good time watching TV and maybe make some food — we’re still trying to provide an unfussy level of cuisine that people will respond to, I think. We are doing a holiday show about low-alcohol cocktails, because I would rather drink all day long when my family’s in town.

But to answer your question if I think there’s anything that’s going to catch… I don’t think that way, I have no idea. There will be shots that when they go by on television, I will wonder if anyone will catch what we just did and how complicated it was. It’s like a magic trick: the best magic tricks look simple when you watch them. You can work for five years on some little card trick, and when people see it, they say, “Oh my god that’s simple,” but it’s not. We have shots where whole chunks of sets had to move in order for a camera to get someplace. People won’t realize it — they won’t. There’s no way that they’ll know that it happened, but they’ll just hopefully see it and think that it’s cool.

I just want, at the end of the day, for them to say, “Wow, I watched a half-hour of a TV show and I’m really glad I did.”

The last time we spoke you mentioned the possibility of doing another live show. Any update on that?
I am going to tour one more time, and it’s going to be a long tour. We’re going to go out next fall, November 2020. And then I’m going to take that same show out for probably about an eight-week run in the beginning of 2021. It’s a farewell tour — I will not tour again after that.