SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Recent WWI movies & favorites of same
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recent WWI movies & favorites of same Login/Join 
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted
Anyone have any recommendations? By "recent", I mean something done in the last decade preferably....I'd hoped with the recent 100-yr anniversary we'd see a few new movies on The Great War, but haven't really seen much.....

Also....time frame be damned, what are everyone's favorite WWI movies?

Posts: 1728 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a movie, but the recent documentary 'They will not grow old' was outstanding.

Wings (1927) silent movie, Charles Rogers and Clara Bow, Gary Cooper's first movie in a bit part.
All Quiet on the Western Front (1930, the original)
The Dawn Patrol (1938) Errol Flynn, Basil Rathbone

Posts: 238 | Registered: March 11, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyAgShooter:
Not a movie, but the recent documentary 'They will not grow old' was outstanding.

Wings (1927) silent movie, Charles Rogers and Clara Bow, Gary Cooper's first movie in a bit part.
All Quiet on the Western Front (1930, the original)
The Dawn Patrol (1938) Errol Flynn, Basil Rathbone

I've been wanting to see that Peter Jackson footage revamp. Need to get on it. I'm in the middle of a book called "The Long Shadow", about WWI, and it's really sparked my interest. There's a pretty great Youtube series that recently ended, called "The Great War", where the host went through week by week, in real time, from the start to the end of the war. Series started on the 100th anniversary of the beginning of the war, and ended on the 100th anniversary of the end of the war.

Posts: 1728 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
The Lost Battalion - A&E movie.

Enjoyed it very much, even bought it on DVD years ago.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
do you have Amazon Prime??

this is on now I believe (streaming)

Journey's End

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TavaOZG3jBw

-----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
do you have Amazon Prime??

this is on now I believe (streaming)

Journey's End

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TavaOZG3jBw

-----------------------------------

I do! This looks pretty good. Going to cue it up tonight. Thanks!

In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjkroll32:

The one from 2002? With Newt (Rick Schroeder)?

posted Hide Post
A touch off topic but if you like the great war and are obviously a gun person, I think you might like C&Rsenal and Forgotten Weapons. In depth WW1 weapons shows on YouTube or full30.

I saw the newer All Quiet on the Western front and liked it though I haven't seen the original. You do have Ernest borgnine as a German with a new York accent but hey, what can you do. There was a mini series on Netflix, our War or our world war, I forget the specific title but I liked it. Should be 3 episodes. I'd be interested in what everyone else comes up with. I still need to drag myself out to see they shall not grow old.

Posts: 3043 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh and if your a podcasting type try Dan Carlin's Hardcore history. The " Blueprint for Armageddon" series is excellent. Not a movie or show but I wouldn't want some one to miss it.

Posts: 3043 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Forgotten Weapons

It's on Prime now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
The Blue Max,

decent flik, just be prepared to see Germans using No4's,, and George Peppard

and there is the much hated Flyboys,

decent footage of flying, sappy love story that you have to tolerate,,,

and +147 for They Shall Not Grow Old,

excellent film

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
Oh and if your a podcasting type try Dan Carlin's Hardcore history. The " Blueprint for Armageddon" series is excellent. Not a movie or show but I wouldn't want some one to miss it.

I'm not a fan of Carlins delivery but WOW, that was a great series.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
All Quiet on the Western Front (1930 version)
Dawn Patrol (1938 version with Errol Flynn)
Paths of Glory
Gallipoli

Whatever you do, STAY AWAY from “Flyboys”; it was like watching a video game for the flying sequences—maybe it was a video game. Eek Mad

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Flyboys.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flyboys_(film)

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Flyboys was pretty cheesy, but I didn't mind it.

The Red Baron seemed a little glamorized (and probably loose with history) but it was fun too.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by akcopnfbks:
quote:
Originally posted by jjkroll32:

The one from 2002? With Newt (Rick Schroeder)?

That's the one

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
This is an Australian film from 2011. It's a $2.99 rental on Amazon, or if you search Youtube you might find the entire movie uploaded there.

Posts: 11156 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
"The Water Diviner" is another good choice.

And if you don't mind subtitles, I recommend the French film "A Very Long Engagement".

Neither are exactly "war movies", with both having to do with family members after the war trying to piece together what happened to their loved ones during the war, but they're both well done and they both include combat scenes.

Posts: 32485 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
William Kelly's War isn't bad either. Sort of an Aussie war/revenge flick mashup.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Lost Battalion
All Quiet on the Western Front
Gallipoli
Blue Max (just ok)
Flyboys (good aerial combat shots)
Sgt. York (w/ Gary Cooper)
Red Baron
Of these, Lost Battalion, Sergeant York, and Gallipol are my favorites.

Posts: 33 | Location: Colorado | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post