SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Very long, but interesting read about Geronimo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Very long, but interesting read about Geronimo Login/Join 
Technically Adaptive
posted
I live in the areas mentioned in Arizona, so I would have more interest than most. I stumbled across this and thought some of you might find interesting.

https://home.army.mil/huachuca...eronimo_Campaign.pdf

Posts: 1298 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Knowing the history of Fort Huachuca it seems that an assignment there led to many illustrious Army careers. Chaffee = Fort Chaffee Arkansas, Patch Barracks in Stuttgart Germany to name only two. Fort Huachuca is also the "traditional" home of the Buffalo Soldiers.

Did you ever look for the buried gold treasure on Fort Huachuca?

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
What I can recall from memory, there were stories about the "cave in" lost find up Huachuca canyon, that was found once then never relocated. I worked on the Fort before 9/11, took the 4x4 road across from Huachuca and Garden canyons. Now it's very hard to get on the Fort just to look around, security and stuff.
Did some gold panning around Ash canyon, lots of pyrite, was fun though. I believe the Spanish buried gold around the sky island mountains back when they were in possession of it, just too many stories to disregard, especially around Mount Graham.
I'm always looking for hidden caves, even though I'm not to realistic about it.
The article mentions how rugged the terrain is, I can't imagine trying to chase Indians through it. When you can see what they are writing about you get a whole new perspective.

Posts: 1298 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
4 wheeling in the Chiricahuas, looking for Cochise's grave. Great way to kill a day. Watching the Sand Hill cranes in the Willcox Playa was always a treat. Man, I miss Cochise County.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link, I will read tomoorw on my desk top screen. 100+ pages on my phone is brutal.

My dad was at Ft Huachuca with the army security agency in 67/68 not sure exact dates

I live 30 minutes from Ft Pickens in Pensacola where Geronimo was held captive

Posts: 4773 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Thanks for this!

Posts: 17151 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post