SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Miller's Crossing (1990 film)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Miller's Crossing (1990 film) Login/Join 
posted
It's a Coen Brothers movie. I am partly familiar with their filmography, having seen eight of their movies, but I have never considered myself a "fan" of their stuff. I still don't, though I have no beef with their movies; I've enjoyed all the ones I've seen.

I found this one to be exceptional. I think it's my favorite of the Coen movies I've seen.

I suppose you could say it's one of their "earlier" films, being preceded by only two other feature-length productions.

Very dialogue-driven, though not without some fun gangster action. Many tongue-in-cheek moments and dark comedy throughout. I am not sure of this, but I'd venture a guess that there is a "noir" influence as well.

It's a good movie with lots of great characters, as seems common for Coen films.

I found it fun to see so many actors who I had previously only seen as much older. I was more-or-less unfamiliar with Albert Finney (though I have seen multiple films in which he performs), and now I am quite fond of him.

Worth a watch, if you haven't seen it.

Posts: 2479 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite Coen movie. Finney with a Thompson is sublime.

Posts: 166 | Location: Iowa | Registered: November 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Finney with a Thompson is sublime
You ain't kidding. That scene was awesome. If you aren't grinning by the time that's over with, there's something wrong with you.

The scene does fall victim to the ol' Hollywood bottomless mag, but it gets a pass, in my book, because it's not a movie that's trying to be super serious or realistic.

Posts: 2479 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a great movie and one of my favorites. Hard to believe it's over 30 years old. Where did the time go?

The Coen brothers made a lot of good movies and enjoyed most of them-Fargo, No Country for Old Men, etc..

Posts: 7103 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
My favorite Coen Bros movie is still The Big Lebowski, but Miller's Crossing is right behind it. Byrne is excellent in it. About time to see it again.

Posts: 17688 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Was the Dane gay?

Year V

Posts: 2675 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
One of the truly great neo-noirs of all time. Byrne would have fit perfectly in the Maltese Falcon or The Big Sleep.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10605 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite movies

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4254 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
Was the Dane gay?

Yes.

Posts: 11522 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s my 2nd favorite Coen Brothers movie after Raising Arizona. Lot’s of great quotable dialog in both movies.

Posts: 284 | Registered: September 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
As I mentioned in another thread, Joe Polito is one of my favorite character actors, and he is perfect in this role.

Gabriel Byrne is also excellent. In fact, I can't think of anybody who was miscast in this movie.

I have enjoyed most of the Coen Brothers' movies, and can pretty much quote every line of Raising Arizone.

Just consider some of their work:
Miller's Crossing
Raising Arizona
No Country For Old Men
The Big Lebowski
Oh Brother Where Art Thou
Barton Fink
Fargo
Inside Llewyn Davis
True Grit

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6147 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post