SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Xbox Games - Are they blocking outright purchases?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Xbox Games - Are they blocking outright purchases? Login/Join 
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted
Hi. I'm not super well versed in Xbox stuff. I'm a Nintendo guy historically. Well, now we have an Xbox Series S, because that was the only appropriate place to get my sons Farming Simulator 2022.

Now one of my sons has saved enough "spend" money to buy Snowrunner for Xbox, but I can't seem to get Microsoft to allow me to give them any money for the game, and that game alone. Everything is rental/season pass. Is this normal?

I just want to buy the game. I don't want to rent the game or lease the game or sign up for recurring billing or any shit like that. One transaction, we have access to the game. That's it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Everything on the Xbox website seems to tell me I have to gain access to the the game Netflix/rent-a-center style, and that's unacceptable to me.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9183 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Wow. These idiots are going to get $0 from me instead of $35 because of this. I'm sure it's a rounding error on their side of things, but I can get the Nintendo Switch version for one-and-done payment, without having to sign up for their life sucking pay-per-month bullshit.

It's funny too, because Xbox support gives me 3 options:
- Ask the gamer community
- Request a callback (they get my phone number)
- Ask the Xbox Message boards

I don't know what exactly MS would do with my phone number, but I can guarantee it wouldn't be to my benefit. So then the other options are "Ask our customers to help you." or "Ask our customers to help you."

What kind of a BS world am I living in? "Hey we heard you're having trouble with your GE refrigerator, and we at GE take this very seriously. Here is a list of GE customer phone numbers and email addresses, and we hope you're able to find help from one of our other customers."

It's absurd.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9183 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Just buy the game on Amazon or Walmart. They both have it.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Yeah I pulled it for Nintendo Switch off of Amazon for $26.

Still, it would be nice to be able to just buy it straight up for Xbox S (no disk drive), and not have to subscribe to their platform. I'm honestly trying to teach my kids to "purchase to own with money you have" instead of this running tab that so many Americans are barely surviving with.

posted Hide Post
In order to buy online games for your xbox, you have to have an account and a profile set up. You don't have to buy the all access, that gives access to their game library. Once a profile is set up you can buy any individual game.
That's the downside to the series s, you can't buy physical games, which also shuts you out of the used game market.
That being said, the all access is a good buy. For a fairly cheap monthly price you get to play over a hundred games, including newly released top tier games.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3630 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
Wow. These idiots are going to get $0 from me instead of $35 because of this. I'm sure it's a rounding error on their side of things, but I can get the Nintendo Switch version for one-and-done payment, without having to sign up for their life sucking pay-per-month bullshit.

It's funny too, because Xbox support gives me 3 options:
- Ask the gamer community
- Request a callback (they get my phone number)
- Ask the Xbox Message boards

I don't know what exactly MS would do with my phone number, but I can guarantee it wouldn't be to my benefit. So then the other options are "Ask our customers to help you." or "Ask our customers to help you."

What kind of a BS world am I living in? "Hey we heard you're having trouble with your GE refrigerator, and we at GE take this very seriously. Here is a list of GE customer phone numbers and email addresses, and we hope you're able to find help from one of our other customers."

It's absurd.

Remember that a lot of questions will be about gameplay (like "How do I get the Golden Dragon to drop the Purple Sword of Power"), and not support. Sending you to the other gamers makes a lot of sense for that.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swampdog
posted Hide Post
I’m not sure what problem is here so forgive me if I’m missing something. Sigspecops above summed it up.
You do have an Xbox Live account/profile correct? I’m assuming yes since you bought a machine and I can not even access the digital store when I’m signed out of mine. You do not need to subscribe to the pay services to have a basic account but you do need an account/profile and be signed in to access the games store.

From my Xbox, I’m signed into my account and on the store tab I search SnowRunner. I see 2 options: to download immediately as part of my game pass subscription, then beside it I see and option for “Choose edition”. Under choose edition it shows all three options for the game which are download for game pass subscribers, purchase the premium edition (with extra DLC included), and purchase the standard edition of the game which is what it sounds like you are looking for. Upon purchasing, the download would begin immediately.

As I mentioned I do have a game pass subscription so I don’t know if what you see on the store with a basic Xbox Live account differs from what I see. I also see it available here as well on the Microsoft store. Feel free to drop me an email if you’d rather hook up on a call to try to sort it out.

Posts: 590 | Location: Colorado via South Louisiana | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I don’t have gamepass. Just the regular xbox live gold that was $60/yr for multiplayer games.

I can see snowrunner fine when I search the store. $19.99+tax

Should be the same for xbox silver?

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8153 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post