SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Handmaid´s Tale, yay or nay?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Handmaid´s Tale, yay or nay? Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
Wife started watching it. I didn´t pay much attention to it but 5 or 6 episodes in I still have to find anything new or surprising...

Is it a chick´s series? Should I stick to it and wait?

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12110 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I am a season in and I will admit it grabbed me. Way different then I expected. VERY DARK.

Most uncomfortable 3 ways EVER. Smile

I haven’t gotten back to it as I am working through a new series all the kids are talking about Game of Thrones or something. Smile I rarely watch stuff as it runs. Usually wait until at least a few seasons or the series has run.

I will probably circle back to it.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
It's ok.
My wife got into it & I watch with her. Definitely different & a crazy premise.

Took me a while to figure out the time period. Seemed so pilgrim-era until I saw the modern vehicles on the road.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Definite yes.

Though I've long been a fan of the book it's all based on.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
It started out interesting, as it was pretty out there and shocking. Later seasons have been boring to me, but I still watch through them with my wife. She likes them.

Posts: 17889 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
The show's well done. So well done that many morons start dressing up in that getup and pretending like they are living in that world. Roll Eyes

Posts: 2661 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
It's a very popular and acclaimed series, but I just couldn't get into it. Maybe I'll give it another go once I work through my current watch list.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
Is it a chick´s series?

I have been forced to watch all of it. Yes, it definitely is a chick series.

quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
Should I stick to it and wait?

That entirely depends on you.

If you are waiting for the women to rise up and use violence to throw off their oppressors, don't hold your breath. That isn't what this series is about. It is about oppressed women using the only thing that have available to them, their femininity, to fight back against their oppressors.

Posts: 6623 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
It's important to understand that Atwood's novel is a dystopian work that's a scathing criticism of Christian Conservatism meets the Male Patriarchy (when taken to extremes, as in the book and series).

It's a warning... primarily about women, by a woman, and largely for women. It's a fictional look at what happens when some superchurch pastor or Mike Pence are in charge of the US and of women's rights.

It's still enjoyable, though, and fairly accurate in its depiction of some parts, and unsettling for sure.

ymmv

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
WAAAAAAAY too many close-ups.

If I never ever see that actress face again, I promise I won´t miss her.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12110 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
I tried... Couldn't get into it.

Seemed like Feminist Erotica to me.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rawny:
The show's well done. So well done that many morons start dressing up in that getup and pretending like they are living in that world. Roll Eyes

Tell me there's a IG page devoted to this idiocy?

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post