SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Streaming Content Rental Service/App?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Streaming Content Rental Service/App? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Cancelled Amazon Prime months ago due to their de-platforming of Parler. Just cancelled Apple TV + for Apple having removed the Parler app from their app store. (Free trial just ran out.) So now I'm looking for a streaming service and app with which to rent newer movie releases.

I tried Vudu (Walmart's service). It offered new releases (e.g.: "Nobody"), but wouldn't actually allow me to purchase rentals? What, then, is the point?

Suggestions?

Needs to run on Apple TV. Would prefer it also run on iOS (iPhones) and iPadOS (iPads).

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't recommend Netflix. It's all trash.

There are services online where you pay a service fee for a hosted server. You upload media you've purchased and you can stream it over the internet.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I wouldn't recommend Netflix. It's all trash.

No, it's not. In fact my wife and I are watching a very good movie, The Departed, even now.

But Netflix does not meet the current need I stated in any event, as they do not offer new releases on a PPV/rental basis. (Other than disc rentals.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I don’t pay for streaming service. Instead use Netflix for 1080P blu rays and a smaller company for new release 4k blu rays. Streaming audio is shit and the image quality is compressed.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Found a solution.

Not finding any joy from the SF Oracle and not finding anything else interesting in a web search, I tried a search like "Vudo Apple TV movie rental".

Up came Watch Vudu on Apple TV, which contained this little bit of useful information at the very end:
quote:

How to Rent and Buy Movies on Vudu for Apple TV

While you can watch purchased or rented movies or TV shows using the Vudu app, and you have access to the full Movies on Us free movie catalog, you can't rent or purchase movies using the Apple TV Vudu app. You can add to your wishlist, but you'll have to go to the website to make the purchase.

Apple charges a 30% commission for all in-app purchases, which includes digital media like music, books, and movies. Instead of passing this on to the customer, providers like Vudu and Amazon disallow buying or renting in the app. Instead, you must make purchases on other devices directly from the Vudu website.

Once you buy or rent a Vudu movie on another device, it should appear on your Apple TV in seconds.

So, problem solved!

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Who is your cellular provider, some of them offer free access to streaming tv services.

Verizon has the Disney Bundle which is Disney+ Hulu and ESPN+ ATT has HBO Plus

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
T-Mobile. They have a deal with Netflix.