New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Pacific Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted
I stumbled across this the other night on Netflix.

How I have missed this? It is very well done, and fairly accurate from the character perspectives of what I know about Lewis Puller and John Basilone.

And I will confess to not seeing Band of Brothers either.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I just started Band of Brothers, for the first time, a few nights ago, about 3 episodes in.
Have The Pacific queued up next.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I stumbled across this the other night on Netflix.

How I have missed this? It is very well done, and fairly accurate from the character perspectives of what I know about Lewis Puller and John Basilone.

And I will confess to not seeing Band of Brothers either.

You got some good watching to do.

Posts: 3596 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I finished the last episode last night. Outstanding. Highest recommendation.

Posts: 1053 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’ll have to watch The Pacific again; it’s been awhile. I started watching BoB a couple days ago, I don’t know how many times I’ve watched it—a lot, but it’s such a great series. Last night I watched “Day of Days,” episode 2 of the series. The jump into Normandy on the night of June 5th was recreated and nearly as powerful as the Omaha Beach landing in Saving Private Ryan. All those C-47s loaded with American paratroopers flying through a flak hailstorm…

Posts: 13263 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yeah, The Pacific is incredibly well done. It's up there with the others mentioned, and I'd put Flags of Our Fathers and Sands of Iwo Jima in there to round out my "if I'm going to sit though a WWII flick" list.

I first watched The Pacific maybe six or seven years ago. It's been a while, so when I saw it pop back up in the rotation, I grabbed my all-type 1 & 2 1943 Quality Hardware out of the safe and started the first episode.

Somewhere, I have Eugene Sledge and Bob Leckie's books, Helmet for My Pillow and With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa. Need to finish unpacking and read them again. Their plot arcs are, of course, taken from their accounts, but combined with Basilone's story, you've got enough for a great ten part series. Well worth the read. If you enjoy those, Indestructible by Jack Lucas is also excellent. He was awarded the CMOH for his actions on Iwo Jima.

Posts: 17131 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
And then hopefully Masters of the Air gets released this year.

Posts: 11166 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Mild Spoiler-

One of the things that struck me was the equipment. Early on in the battle for Henderson field, the Marines were scarcely equipped, and their firepower was water cooled 1917 machine guns and Enfield rifles. As the story progressed, you started seeing better equipment and “modern” equipment of that era such Thompson’s, M1 carbines and Garands.

When you put that in perspective, it makes the feats at Henderson Field all more heroic. Fighting a war on that magnitude on two fronts (Pacific and Europe) sucks.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Go read : Helmet for My Pillow

It's the book the series was written after. Its an amazing book.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8853 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Both series were quite good.

BoB was better, but both are well worth watching.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I felt The Pacific was more savage and brutal than BOB. But I also feel that that was true difference between the two campaigns.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5401 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I just watched BoB for the at least 20th time. One of the best series ever put together and IMO was cast wonderfully . The Pacicfic was also very good but definitely falls short of BoB. I had family in both theaters so they both were pretty powerful.

Posts: 2959 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BoB was better, but only for have been based on one book.
The Pacific was great on it's own, but being based on three books by three different participants it did not flow as well.
Both great series.....

OZ

Posts: 160 | Registered: February 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
I watched Band of Brothers in 2001 when it came out and have watched it a few dozen times since then. Well worth the watch.

Both my grandfathers fought in the Pacific and that particular series reminds me of them.

I'm really hoping they release Masters of the Air soon and it's as good as the other two series.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4198 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Yeah...my allergies kick into high gear when watching EITHER Band of Brothers or The Pacific. No words. Just...no words.

May God BLESS each and every one of those souls! I hope and pray I'll see them in heaven one day...I have MANY hands to shake and many "Thank yous" to give out.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mild Spoiler-

One of the things that struck me was the equipment. Early on in the battle for Henderson field, the Marines were scarcely equipped, and their firepower was water cooled 1917 machine guns and Enfield rifles. As the story progressed, you started seeing better equipment and “modern” equipment of that era such Thompson’s, M1 carbines and Garands.

When you put that in perspective, it makes the feats at Henderson Field all more heroic. Fighting a war on that magnitude on two fronts (Pacific and Europe) sucks.

Early WWII, the USMC was still in the midst of evaluating and issuing the M1. While the Army already had them issued to infantry units, the USMC infantry was very possessive of their 1903's, while other combat arms & support units received M1s. It wasn't until 1942 that the M1 became a service wide standard, and the 1903 was retained for snipers and reserve use. The M1917 machine guns (water cooled) were remarkably reliable but, also quite a bit heavier than the more mobile air-cooled M1919, thus they were best used in fixed defensive positions.

Posts: 14656 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:

Corsair nailed it, but it reminds me of something. In the book Ghost Soldiers, there's a line talking about the Marine Raiders who rescued the POWs in Cabanatuan were equipped almost entirely differently than the men they rescued - the men the Japanese led on the Bataan Death March had almost all the same equipment a Marine in WWI would have had. The Marine Corps was very slow to change what worked.

quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
I felt The Pacific was more savage and brutal than BOB. But I also feel that that was true difference between the two campaigns.

Agreed.

Posts: 17131 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of both Band of Brothers and The Pacific. I feel like the format of a series makes it easier to tell the story in detail than a movie would, and you get more background and character development. Generation Kill is another good one about the 2003 invasion of Iraq.

Posts: 8571 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I just finished the Holland episode of BoB, I'll agree that it's a moving series. The 'blind' trooper episode as well.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the episodes in BoB, where Wahlberg (1SGT) is the feature character, is one of the very few times caught on screen where the responsibilities and stress' of being the leading NCO of a unit is highlighted. Hollywood rarely ever gets this nuance correct, most screen writers when they think of platoon sergeant is confused with drill sergeant. He's got to balance the demands that the officers are placing on him, disseminating those instructions to his squad leaders, all while lending a sympathetic but guiding ear to everyone.

Posts: 14656 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post