SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Gus McCrae school of bartending
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gus McCrae school of bartending Login/Join 
posted
Apologize if posted before.

[FLASH_VIDEO] [/FLASH_VIDEO]

Posts: 5770 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Pardon my ignorance, but what movie is that from?

I think I need to watch it.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15289 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

I think I need to watch it.

Lonesome Dove

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now, I need to watch Lonesome Dove again! Never get tired of it. Very, very, good Western, one of the best..for me.

Posts: 5770 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ps… pistol Gus used was, Colt Walker, 1847.

Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
Now, I need to watch Lonesome Dove again! Never get tired of it. Very, very, good Western, one of the best..for me.

For me as well. One of my top two or three of all time.

Posts: 7283 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
You're kidding

Posts: 107847 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Apparently not

Posts: 13314 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite scenes. I like how Woodrow steps away a bit when he senses it's about to go down.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1909 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I've never seen it either. That one went over my head too. Couldn't catch it...

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5424 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:

Tony.

Wow, can't recommend it highly enough. Only thing better is the book.

Posts: 163 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoastieLT:
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:

Tony.

Wow, can't recommend it highly enough. Only thing better is the book.

As good as the mini-series is, the book is better and a must read. Both were very well done.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I did read the book too. I remember thinking, “Are they EVER going to leave Texas?” Thinking of it now, I’m going the other way and saying Lonesome Dove, the mini-series, is one of those rare instances where the filmed production is better. But hey…

Posts: 13314 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I did read the book too. I remember thinking, “Are they EVER going to leave Texas?” Thinking of it now, I’m going the other way and saying Lonesome Dove, the mini-series, is one of those rare instances where the filmed production is better. But hey…

I've long thought that the mini-series was better than the book.
The book was great, mind you. But the movie was better.
A rare occurrence for sure.

For those that haven't watched the movie or read the book, you're in for a treat.

Posts: 1782 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've long thought that the mini-series was better than the book.
The book was great, mind you. But the movie was better.
A rare occurrence for sure.

For those that haven't watched the movie or read the book, you're in for a treat.

I can't argue with this. Possibly more than any other character in literature and cinema, Robert Duvall is Gus McCrae. Amazing performance.

Posts: 163 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
You're kidding

Nope. Thought it might be Lonesome Dove and no doubt should have googled it, but never seen it. Looks like I should remedy that situation.

And thanks to Pyker for the response.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15289 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
When I first saw the promotion for the mini-series Lonesome Dove and that Robert Duval was in it I had read the book and always pictured Duval as Woodrow Call....probably from seeing him in The Great Santini, it was a surprise when I actually got around to watching the thing and there he was as Gus. It is a truly great scene when he is being chased across the dessert by the pack of comencheros and he sees an animal wallow and stops pulls his horse around between him and those chasing him and cuts the horse's throat so it falls in the right place, between him and those chasing him. (does not waste a bullet).

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
It's been running on one of the cable channels without commercials the past month or so and I recorded them. We just watched it again a couple of weeks ago, just a great movie and book.

Posts: 1845 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I have to add... when Gus rides back into the group of comancheros with July Johnson following and kills them all and when it's over... all Johnson can say is .."I didn't even get a shot off....."

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I guess I really should read the book. I was 17/18 when the series first aired and didn’t find it all that remarkable. I watched it again over the past weekend and while I did appreciate the fine acting, I don’t think I need to ever watch it again.

Posts: 2982 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post