SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The thing about the film Deliverance is...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The thing about the film Deliverance is... Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
...that unlike most other horror films, everything that happens in the film is plausible. Nothing is contrived; a wrong turn, a case of mistake identity. Deliverance is terrifying because the events portrayed could easily happen to you or me. The core of the film is the unavoidable moral conundrum with which the men are faced.

10 pm tonight on TCM

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
totally agree

very disturbing and realistic IMO

it's of course known for the 'squeal like a pig' scene -- but its a dang good thriller

------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never actually seen all of it. An early 80s movie, Southern Comfort, has a similar "theme." Not a classic of course.

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
It could happen.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38681 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
At the age of fifteen, he was discovered by Lynn Stalmaster, who was scouting for the movie Deliverance. Stalmaster recommended Redden to the director John Boorman, though Redden was not an albino child as Boorman had requested, and Redden was cast.[1]

He portrayed a banjo-playing "local" during the film's famous "dueling banjos" scene. Boorman felt that Redden's skinny frame, large head, and almond-shaped eyes made him the natural choice to play the part of an "inbred from the back woods." Because Redden could not play a banjo, he wore a special shirt which allowed a real banjo player to hide behind him for the scene, which was shot with carefully chosen camera angles that would conceal the player, whose arms were slipped around Redden's waist to play the tune.[2] Interestingly, the hidden banjo player was shown playing "clawhammer" style, while the soundtrack had the banjo music as three finger "Earl Scruggs" style.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Redden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsC4kf6x_Q0

Did you notice the International Harvestor Scout?

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great film. Lived in East Tennessee in that time. We used to refer to some of the locals as Deliverance outtakes. I have been through white water rapids on a canoe. I do not want to experience that again.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Deliverance is terrifying because the events portrayed could easily happen to you or me.

There've been two movies in my life that have given me the heebie-jeebies: Deliverance being one of them.

It unnerved me to the point that I've never been inclined to watch it again.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Seeing this in my teens, I found it very disturbing to say the least.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36842 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Dueling banjos stay with ya...

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Dueling banjos stay with ya...

Not to mention an arrow, with a drop of blood, protruding from the chest of that hillbilly.

Posts: 13264 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
Such a underrated and misunderstood movie.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I raced in a local canoe race with my brother for 20 years. I found another racing partner when I found out my brother quits paddling when he hears banjo music.

Posts: 7458 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
. . . a case of mistake identity.

This has always confused me. I've seen the movie several times and am still uncertain whether or not the mountain man on the cliff was the same toothless guy with the shotgun during the infamous squeal like a pig scene. What is the general consensus? Thanks.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I don’t think he was that guy.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
That was him. He had the missing teeth.

One of my favorite movies.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
That was him. He had the missing teeth.

that was always my impression too

------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
@Para, I feel the same way about Cape Fear and Silence of the Lambs.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Scorsese's Cape Fear is definitely that way, to me.

Solid performance out of De Niro and Nolte and Juliette Lewis.

Recently I read that Juliette Lewis' dad is this famous character actor from the Eastwood films. No wonder there are so many similarities between those films and her persona and roles.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Reynolds's wink at the end is my favorite part.

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Loved Deliverance. Lot of it was filmed in Tallulah Gorge, GA.

Been twice. If you go, take the path down from the visitors center to the swinging bridge, across the gorge then up and out the other side and across the hi-way. There is a little old burger joint there that has fantastic burgers… either that or I was famished after the hike. Then continue across the bridge / dam and around back to the start. Of course you could just stop for a burger as you drive by it in your car. At any rate it’s a nice way to spend a fall day.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post