SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    13 WEST STREET 1962
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

13 WEST STREET 1962 Login/Join 
posted
I know Yooper watches TCM. Being a former cop, I think he would enjoy this film. This movie was recently shown. Rod Steiger as a detective, and Alan Ladd as a aerospace engineer. It is not intended to be a comedy, but is rather hilarious in its depiction of juvenile crime gone wild. Alan Ladd does a good job of playing an idiot who will not give up. Here is a summary:

13 WEST STREET 1962
. A man who works for a "rocket agency" is nearly run over by reckless speeding hoods. He yells, "Stupid Idiots!" Uhh Oh! The hoods turn around, beat him to a pulp and make his life a living hell for the rest of the movie! A detective discovers that the punks are members of a high class, Beverly Hills gang.

All kinds of Juvenile Delinquent torment including beatings, threatening phone calls, rocks through windows, and ultimately, murder. Excellent cast. Alan Ladd, Rod Steiger (fantastic performance), Michael Callan, Dolores Dorn, Kenneth MacKenna, Margaret Hayes, Ted Knight.

Posts: 17242 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched it the other night. I am a fan of Alan Ladd and Steiger too. But it wasnt Ladds best work and Steiger stole the show. His depiction of the frustrated juvie officer was spot on.
The pursuit with the suspects and the PI was a bit much too.
I give the film a 7.5
One the aspects of these films I enjoy is the cars. Steigers unmarked Ford was cool as were the marked cars. The main suspect had a cool T-Bird.
Thanks for the heads up!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16098 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I first saw this film as a kid. I remember it because of the scene where Ladd holds the punk underwater in the swimming pool.

I saw it again, years later, on TCM, and what I noticed was hiw very bad Alan Ladd looked for a man in his late 40s. He died about 18 months after this film premiered. He as only 50 years old. Probably a suicide. Excessive drinking did him in.

And Rod Steiger? It goes without saying that he was a fantastic actor. He always struck me as a man with a lot of heart.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107624 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
And Rod Steiger? It goes without saying that he was a fantastic actor. He always struck me as a man with a lot of heart.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
One of my favorite films was The Pawnbroker. Incredible performance in a terribly depressing film.

Posts: 17242 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post