Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ambulance Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted
Watched this last night on 4k disc. What a disc. Lots of gunfire, especially AR gun fire. The surround sound and Atmos sound track was phenomenal. Lots of gun fire panning across the speakers of my HT system. Lots of Atmos content as well. Shots were going all around 11 speakers. LFE was also on point. PQ was also amazing in 4K Dolby Vision. One of the best films I’ve seen this year in regards to PQ and sound. Phenomenal disc for those with systems. No idea on streaming quality as I avoid that shit for films.

Now the film itself……………well the story had some B movie plot holes. So treat this like a 1980’s action film. There is going to be a number of things you eye roll and laugh at because yes it’s that bad. The writing was bad in a number of places. Stereotypical shit. A tiny bit of some woke bullshit but done OK and kind of poked fun at a bit so it came across OK. Overall it’s a Michael Bay rip off of Heat but in these times of little content it was a good watch. It’s no great film but gunplay, PQ, sound, bank robbery and cops chasing, well it was something to watch. Just don’t expect some superb writing. As much as I detest Michael Bay films he did have some great aerial shots in this. Really cool shots of the buildings in downtown LA, panning down from above then catching up with the vehicles. Many things unbelievable and stupid but the production of the entire affair made it watchable. Ain’t like there is a lot of good shit out there right now to watch.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

I saw the movie anounced a while ago and immediately went for the reviews and they pretty much agree with you.
Michael Bay directing is a bummer, script is poor, it´s all there.

But now i´m on the fence again because of your interesting sound review.
Will give it a shot, see how far i can take it.

I agree with bald1, Netflix keeps circling the drain with his movie productions.

Thanks again.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12106 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Can’t make it in one session, no matter how hard i try. Got to halfway through and hoping for something worth my time to happen so i can force myself to keep going until the end.

The bank robbery seemed like some discarded shots from Michael Mann’s Heat almost 30 years ago. Was hoping for a story maybe like The Town.
Made me wish John Frankenheimer or Tony Scott were still alive.

….

Something is bound to happen soon,

I wish

0-0

Posts: 12106 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
The only reason to watch is #1, phenomenal sound and PQ. You have to have a decent surround sound system. The gun shots are phenom. They fly around your speakers. #2, there is almost no new film content out. At least on new release blu ray and 4k blu ray.

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ambulance was bad but not as bad as the movie Interceptor on Netflix. Chris Hemsworth apparently wasted some money on this train wreck that was totally ridiculous. Even the director was surprised it was rated highly on Netflix.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
The only reason to watch is #1, phenomenal sound and PQ. You have to have a decent surround sound system. The gun shots are phenom. They fly around your speakers. #2, there is almost no new film content out. At least on new release blu ray and 4k blu ray.

I agree with you once again.
The sound is spectacular, i´ve got 7.1 and am quite pleased with it. It´s just that the reviews (much like yours) warned me and still i went ahead - just like you say. Not much else out there.
In my austere neck of the woods, BR disks are a thing of the past. A luxury we can no longer afford.

I do know now i can trust your reviews. Big Grin

0-0

Picture of SeaCliff
posted Hide Post
quote:
The surround sound and Atmos sound track was phenomenal.

What are you using for the 4k blu ray player.
I run a small footprint 7.1, 5.1.2 for Atmos with the rear heights.

Posts: 1894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SeaCliff:
quote:
The surround sound and Atmos sound track was phenomenal.

What are you using for the 4k blu ray player.
I run a small footprint 7.1, 5.1.2 for Atmos with the rear heights.

Sony X800M2. I rent discs from a rental place. They were $3 but it’s up to $4 per disc now with inflation affecting the service like everything else. Discs murder compressed streaming crap. Audio is night and day.

I’d put your pre-order in for Edge of Tomorrow. The 4k disc finally comes out next week and it should on par with Oblivion which I consider a reference disc. It should rip if you have sub(s). Really looking forward to it. I knew it would come since he’s coming out with a sequel. Tom is crazy but he’s the only one producing good shit right now. At least his stuff ain’t all woked out and it’s not Disney limited range 4k discs which are industry worst. Murica!