SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Wonder Years
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Wonder Years Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
Well...my next few days are shot to hell.

Just found out that The Wonder Years is now on Netflix...finally.

IMO, one of the best TV series of all time.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also liked the series very much. That was When TV still had good writers/shows and not all of this "Reality Show" crap that we have now.

Posts: 374 | Location: The Dark And Bloody Ground | Registered: July 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I recently finished them all. Great show. Jack Arnold is the epitome of hard working no-nonsense dad. If you have Spotify someone has made an awesome Wonder Years playlist.

Not sure if you guys know this but Danica Mckeller who played Winnie Cooper is some sort of math wiz and even has a theorem she co-authored named after her. Her little sister who played Becky Slater went to Yale and later graduated Harvard Law. The kid who played Paul also went to Yale and also is a lawyer. Smart group of kid actors.

Ps: there's a Tumblr called Kevin Arnold is a Dick that's pretty funny.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
That is a great show, I think it has one of the best series finales of all time.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I always thought it was funny the background voice over was one of the bad guys from Home Alone, Daniel Stern. Not Joe Pesci.

If you are fans of Impractical Jokers, they have a skit where one of the guys meets his childhood dream, Winnie Cooper. Too lazy to embed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP3HX7BEtIQ

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
It used to freak me out how good adult Kevin's memory was. I'd be like, "Man, how can he remember what he had for dinner and the exact conversations he had with everyone on that exact date from his childhood?!" Then I realized he must have that condition that Marilu Henner has, where she can remember every single thing that happens to her on every date in her entire life.

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up. I think I'd like to rewatch them with the kids.

quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
If you are fans of Impractical Jokers, they have a skit where one of the guys meets his childhood dream, Winnie Cooper.

I saw that one. That was great. The best jokers punishments are the one when they get real personal.

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
I absolutely love the series. Will definitely sit my family down to watch together. Many life lessons and great storytelling in this show.

Another show I enjoy even now as a guilty pleasure is Boy Meets World. Hokey as all hell sometimes, but I like it!

Posts: 2825 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Winnie freeking Cooper.

I hope Kevin closed the deal and married that girl!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
My favorite story arc was with Mr. Collins, the math teacher.

Year V

Posts: 2613 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I liked that show.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:

Not sure if you guys know this but Danica Mckeller who played Winnie Cooper is some sort of math wiz and even has a theorem she co-authored named after her.

I saw that she had written a couple of math books and thought that she seemed like a good role model for girls.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
I watched a few today, the show holds up great, in my opinion. Also, the person in charge of the music for the show did an excellent job.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I noticed it was on Netflix a bit ago, but it was one of the shows I only occasionally watched back then.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kuisis:
Also, the person in charge of the music for the show did an excellent job.

I think this is a great point and until you mentioned it, I had forgotten just how good of a job they did. It is amazing how much music can add to a show.

I'll definitely be hitting this show up on Netflix. It is one of my all time favorites.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 884 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Securing the rights to the music that originally aired on the show was what held up the Wonder Years from going to DVD until recently. I haven't checked Netflix recently if it changed, but the cover of Joe Cocker's cover of 'By With a Little Help From My Friends' that Netflix was using was horrible.

Year V

Posts: 2613 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
Securing the rights to the music that originally aired on the show was what held up the Wonder Years from going to DVD until recently. I haven't checked Netflix recently if it changed, but the cover of Joe Cocker's cover of 'By With a Little Help From My Friends' that Netflix was using was horrible.

One of the things that makes re-runs of Miami Vice to watch. There are songs that I KNOW were part of the series, but are not included on re-runs.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I watched the entire series last year. It was truly great.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of this show, so appreciate the heads up on the Netflix addition. This show and Northern Exposure may be my two favorite shows from their era. I sure wish Northern Exposure would be picked up by Netflix, too.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
A big fan of the show.

I felt it was a pretty accurate portrayal of life at that time.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post