SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Guitarist David Lindley passed away
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guitarist David Lindley passed away Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted
Some people may not recognize the name, but I'll bet that they heard his guitar work, the man played for many artists, most notably Jackson Browne (that is Lindley playing the lap steel guitar solos on Running On Empty). I saw him a half dozen times in the 80s when he toured as El Rayo-X, extremely fun and musical shows. Rest in Peace.

https://variety.com/2023/music...n-browne-1235542971/

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16707 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
That was terrific! Thanks for posting it, oddball.

RIP, David Frown

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jodel-Time
Picture of Mboroman
posted Hide Post
Wow, there goes another one.

A friend of mine played the El-Rayo X album for me probably in late 1983 or early 1984. I bought a cd for myself and still have it in my collection today. I ripped it to my computer some years ago and a copy of it is also on my phone. I never bought any of his other albums but I still listen to songs from this one as they pop up on shuffle play. My friend also continued to listen to that album throughout the years.

For me, it is nostalgia. We had some really good times 40 years ago. At that time, I was in my final year of college and would meet my wife shortly after that (she was my friend's cousin). Unfortunately, my friend passed away a few weeks ago, at the age of 60, due to health complications. Boy, those old days are long gone now.

Posts: 562 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
This song got some radio time . Lead me get that El-Rayo X album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mNgU7fj5l4

Posts: 2546 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UpTheIrons
posted Hide Post
This is a great loss! There was no stringed instrument he couldn't play!

If you can find it, go get the music from the band Kaleidoscope that he was in in the 60s. This is some of his best work.

“I used to be totally into Steve Vai and Joe Satriani and other shredders, and I tried to emulate what they did and really grow as a guitarist,” Mr. Hanneman said in “Louder Than Hell.” “Then I said, ‘I don’t think I’m that talented, but more important, I don’t care.’ ”

Posts: 1726 | Location: Arizona Territory | Registered: February 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
He could play anything with strings. Well. He had a true gift.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you can find it, go get the music from the band Kaleidoscope that he was in in the 60s. This is some of his best work.

Here is one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbRcURfROJY

Posts: 2546 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've got mental
blue balls now
Picture of tlbailey1
posted Hide Post
Well before my time, but fondly remember listening to Jackson Browne's Running on Empty with my old man. I still love the album, don't listen as much as I used to, but it's great for road trips. Cool

Great videos of David doing his thing, just hearing to the album I had no idea who the second voice was, but the video makes me smile:

The Load Out/Stay

Stay

Posts: 6847 | Location: Idaho | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UpTheIrons:
This is a great loss! There was no stringed instrument he couldn't play!

Funny, I went into my collection and found this, haven't listened to this since the 80s.

Jimmy Page once said that Kaleidoscope was his "ideal band".

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16707 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
https://acousticguitar.com/rem...97&mc_eid=b1f8e31b60

Remembering David Lindley

Renowned maxi-instrumentalist David Lindley passed away March 3, 2023, at the age of 78. Republished here is a profile and in-depth interview with Lindley, which originally ran as cover story for Acoustic Guitar’s June 2000 issue. —Ed.

cont...

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38685 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Won the Fiddlers and Pickers contest in the Bay Area. His distinctive guitar sound on Jackson Browns many albums. RIP.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1559 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
El Rayo-X was one of my favorite discs from that time. Have it on vinyl and pretty much wore it out, then bought the CD years later. Also put on some great live shows.

RIP Mr. Prince of Polyester. Frown

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Besides his great music, ya got to admire a guy who isn’t afraid to wear polyester. I always hated it, the feel of it, and wore jeans, but he walked to a different drummer. Good for him. RIP David. You gave me many hrs of enjoyment.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfest:
Besides his great music, ya got to admire a guy who isn’t afraid to wear polyester. I always hated it, the feel of it, and wore jeans, but he walked to a different drummer. Good for him. RIP David. You gave me many hrs of enjoyment.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post